Lobsterboat weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Weekend cruise to Anacortes. First shot is Carey passing us on his way to the same place. Second shot is a beautiful lobsterboat based, I think, in Friday Harbor.

Attachments

• Carey.jpg
    Carey.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Lobsterboat.jpg
    Lobsterboat.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 561
Those damn yankees sure know how to build pretty boats. Who built the lobster boat?

Those damn yankees sure know how to build pretty boats. Who built the lobster boat?

Carey's is a fiberglass commercial lobsterboat hull from Maine with a custom house and interior. He's told me many times who made the hull but I can never remember it, so maybe he'll see this and tell you.

The other boat is wood but I have no idea who built it. Carey had seen it before in Friday Harbor and has talked to the owner so perhaps he has more info. He told me this weekend he's pretty sure it has a gas engine and it did sound like that as it was coming and going from the dock we were all on.

We were intrigued by the way the dinghy is carried on the boat. It projects out over the transom a bit so we suspect it is simply deployed and retrieved by hand over a roller on the transom that supports the keel. Didn't get a chance to actually ask, though.

Last edited:
Carey's looks like a Jarvis Newman hull. The second boat pictured from the angle looks a little long and narrow for most Maine built lobster hulls. Wonder if it may be from Nova Scotia.

Last edited:
I don't know that the second boat was even built to commercial lobsterboat plans. But it certainly has "the look." It's home port is a town in Maine but that doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of where the boat was built or who built it.

There are still quite a few builders in Maine, but most of them buy bare hulls to finish. Carey's boat is built in more of the current mode, They are wider in the stern to carry a large load of traps. The other boat could be an earlier one.

There are still quite a few builders in Maine, but most of them buy bare hulls to finish. Carey's boat is built in more of the current mode, They are wider in the stern to carry a large load of traps. The other boat could be an earlier one.

Don
I think you are right about the earlier design of the wood boat pictured. I spoke with the owner a couple years ago, but my memory is lacking as to designer, builder or other particulars. She is very nicely maintained, with full canvas cover.

My "Happy Destiny" is a Spencer Lincoln design, using a mold built by Blue Hill Marine, and laid up by Fly Point Marine in Brooklin, ME prior to Atlantic Boat Company purchasing all their assets. She was finished by a fellow in LaConner, WA. It was his fifth lobster boat build.

Marin, any chance you can find out more about that second boat? I really love the looks of it. My guess would be a Bunker and Ellis in really good shape if she's wood.

If we see it out in the islands I'll try to. Carey might have the first crack at learning more about it if it's based in Friday Harbor as he goes there more often than we do.

I got a shot of it departing the fairway we were in so the name and hailing port should be visible. But I haven't download that shot from the camera yet.

If we see it out in the islands I'll try to. Carey might have the first crack at learning more about it if it's based in Friday Harbor as he goes there more often than we do.

I got a shot of it departing the fairway we were in so the name and hailing port should be visible. But I haven't download that shot from the camera yet.

Marin
She is no longer in Friday Harbor, and the owner did not say where they are currently based.

If I can come up with the name and hailing port from my photos perhaps someone can hunt it up using a USCG data base or something. It's got no WN number displayed so I'm assuming it's a documented boat.

The second boat doesn't look like a Bunker & Ellis to me, but they did build several different styles. Here is the most common style:

Bunker And Ellis - pendletonyachtyard

At least one guy is still building in wood and his boats are sought after by both lobstermen and yachtsmen.

http://www.johnsbayboat.com/Peter Kass.pdf

Here's a B&E that was owned for a while by Giffy Full, a renowned East coast boat surveyor:

Attachments

• Kittiwake.jpg
    Kittiwake.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Here are two more shots of the wooden lobsterboat I pictured in my initial post. As you can see, the boat's name is Terrier and the home port is N. (North?) Haven, Maine.

Attachments

• Terrier 2.jpg
    Terrier 2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Terrier 1.jpg
    Terrier 1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 159
Here are two more shots of the wooden lobsterboat I pictured in my initial post. As you can see, the boat's name is Terrier and the home port is N. (North?) Haven, Maine.

I am sure you didn't mean to, but at first glance at these 2 photos, it appears that this boat has a dock piling for mast, sprouting through the tender...:eek:

I am sure you didn't mean to, but at first glance at these 2 photos, it appears that this boat has a dock piling for mast, sprouting through the tender...:eek:

Interesting how they lined up that way isn't it? I wasn't paying any attention at the time, just snapping the shots as I walked by and it went by. I have other shots of the boat leaving without the piling but this one showed the name and hailing port the best.

Vessel Name:TERRIER, USCG Doc. No.:593492, Vessel Service:RECREATIONAL, IMO Number:*, Trade Indicator:Recreational, Call Sign:*, Hull Material:FRP (FIBERGLASS), Hull Number:21, Ship Builder:CONCORDIA CO INC, Year Built:1973
Length (ft.):36, Hailing Port:NORTH HAVEN ME, Hull Depth (ft.):5.5, Owner:VAUGHN OLSON
5537 S CLIFFSEDGE AVE
BOISE, ID 83716, Hull Breadth (ft.):11, Gross Tonnage:14Net Tonnage:11, Documentation Issuance Date:May 22, 2012, Documentation Expiration Date:June 30, 2013, Previous Vessel Names:OLD MAN
Previous Vessel Owners:VAUGHN OLSON
DEAN L FISHER
RICHARD E DEUTSCH

This looks like it to me. It's fiberglass. I'd bet the original owner bought a hull and had Concordia finish it. The hull looks a lot like a Jarvis Newman that a friend of mine owned. It was designed by Raymond Bunker and Newman built two of them but I don't know if he built the hulls or not.

This is the Jarvis Newman my friend had built in 1973. What do you think? Same hull? Both 36 foot. Both built in 1973.

3648121_0_20110606080253_1_0.jpg

Built the same year as our old GB. Wish our GB looked as good. Carey and I speculated it was wood based on the overall design but the fact it's a fiberglass hull explains the lack of any plank lines in the paint. We just figured it was a really good fairing and paint job.

This is the Jarvis Newman my friend had built in 1973. What do you think? Same hull? Both 36 foot. Both built in 1973.

Looks very similar. Aside from details like portlights and such one difference seems to be the stem. The one in your photo appears to be a bit more vertical than Terrier's. But without identical photo angles it's hard to say for sure.

Marin, 1973 must have been a good year for boats!

You're right my friends boat does look a little more plumb in the bow.

3648121_0_20110606080253_1_0.jpg

The stem on your picture is much more plumb that the earlier boat. The stern also seems wider. Maybe its the angle, but on the other boat the shear looks more graceful. I think that is why it catches the eye. There is no question that a long lean boat has a graceful look.

Jarvis Newman did build the 36 foot hull (as well as a 32 and later a 38 and 46). He only finished two of them himself, the one pictured in the post by HopCar and one other, but built and sold about 90 of the 36 foot hull for finishing by third parties. The majority were finished and used as commercial boats, although some of those have since been stripped down to a bare hull and rebuilt as pleasure, several by the Newman & Gray yard, Great Cranberry Island, ME. Very pretty hull. Just my opinion, but Terrier looks like a JN36 hull, and I know Concordia in S. Dartmouth MA (listed as builder of Terrier) did finish at least one other 36 JN hull.

Miskiania, Thanks for the information on the Jarvis Newman 36. I think that is one of the prettiest hulls I've ever seen. It just looks right to my eye.

Newman 46

Attachments

• DSCN0038.jpg
    DSCN0038.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Lust1.jpg
    Lust1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 127
dwhatty, that is a stunning boat. Like I said, you yankees make pretty boats.

That 46' Jarvis Newman is a good looking, tough boat. Of course the dark hull really sets it off. It has probably got a big single in it like a 1100hp Cat. Oh, did I mention that Moonstruck was built in Maine?

Attachments

• 2007-zimmerman-z46--2.jpg
    2007-zimmerman-z46--2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 111
And another Jarvis Newman came in to the Harbor yesterday. A 36 or 38? (Sorry its blurry. Keep forgetting how to focus my iPod camera.)

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 120

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom