Flybridge settee mods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
The settee cushions on our flybridge weigh about 40 pounds each thanks to soaking up last weekend's rain. Last year only one of them soaked up water. They do not drain well and soak unsuspecting sitters feet when they sit down. Not good.

As I think about replacements, I am reminded just how uncomfortable those seats are, especially the backs. The snap on cushions are too low and too thin. Any reclining at all and your back is supported not by the cushion, but by the stainless rail. Maybe this is an opportunity to improve them?

Has anyone removed the L shaped settee altogether and replaced it with something more comfortable and more weather resistant?

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpeg
    IMG_0338.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 40
Not familiar with your seat but if you cn rebuild the seat to make it more comfortable and rebuilt or make new cushions it may be a lot more comfortable. I would use the fast draining foam for the cushions. Sailrite sells it and water just flows right through it. But it is dear. But your cushion will dry almost immediately.

you might want to check out pontoon boat furniture, It's modular and you can design to fit your space.... It is also designed to be out in the weather.

Regardless of what you do for furniture a Sunbrella tonneau cover (even in addition to a bimini) is well worth the investment. Keeps everything much dryer and cleaner.

Agree, we have a sunbrella bridge cover. It keeps everything dry, clean, and not faded. Have them put a grommet in middle for a tent pole.

Watch Craig's list. Often complete pontoon boat seating set ups are for sale.

pete

I have pontoon furniture on my flybridge, I think it is ugly but highly functional and comfortable. Mine is pretty well hidden from view by wraparound canvas from the railing to the deck, otherwise I would have removed it out of vanity.

I think revised backrests and a talented upholsterer could make your existing settee much more comfortable then, a nice cover to protect the whole area would be a great solution. I have to note that it is remarkably easy to tell someone else how to spend money.

I will add a word of caution about talented upholsterers. I've had work done by two very good upholsterers with stellar reputations. The work they did looked fantastic, and was clearly well put together.

And horribly uncomfortable. In both cases, our primary reason for engaging their services was comfort. We discussed this with them up front and throughout the process. Apparently upholstering skill is not the same skill as knowing what will be comfortable. In fairness, I think most of their customers are only interested in looks.

It looks like the backs are Starboard panels. Easy to remake those a bit higher and get some new cushions made by a good shop. I redid our flybridge seating last year and experimented with plywood pieces for the back to get the size and angle right, then had some foam samples of different weights to get the cushions the right thickness and density. This worked out very well and we are happy with how comfortable they are. We used a soft Sunbrella fabric. During the winter we have the full enclosure up so they don't get wet. I plan to get a simple cover made for them for when the enclosure is down.

Attachments

• IMG_5955.jpg
    IMG_5955.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5954.jpg
    IMG_5954.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
When make exposed cushions, I wrap the foam in thin clear plastic. Make sure the fold is at the bottom. Not a fix , but sure helps keep the foam dry

It looks like the backs are Starboard panels. Easy to remake those a bit higher and get some new cushions made by a good shop.

Yes they are, and that is a very good idea! I really have no problem with the L shape or the storage in the seat bases. Taller backs of the right design may well do the trick.

I agree with reworking the current cushion design if your happy with the layout. Just for example if you look at pontoon boat seating the cushions are shaped for comfort not just flat pieces of foam thrown on a bench.

Some cushion makers will know where to add firmer foam and softer foam to add to the comfort.

Back
Top Bottom