Slow Hand 2023 To Lake Superior and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
I'm heading back up to Lake Superior for the summer and thought I might post a picture or three, maybe even a sunset. :rolleyes: Should be getting into Superior around July 1st. It's about 2,700 miles by boat from Fort Myers, FL to Sault Ste. Marie, MI (locks to enter Lake Superior).

If you want to follow my travels, here's the link to my Garmin Inreach satellite tracking map.

https://share.garmin.com/EdwardGreen

Looking forward to meeting some TF member and reconnecting with some others.

Ted

Last edited:
And so it begins. 5am and time to get underway.

20230417_050018.jpg

Weather radar doesn't look all that nice. There's some lighting over the Gulf of Mexico, but otherwise light winds.

Screenshot_20230417_054304_Adblock Browser.jpg

Dishy (Starlink satellite internet) seems to be playing nicely, so far.

Ted

Cool Ted - had strong lightning overnight at home in Madeira Beach, near St Pete.

For those of us with little knowledge of The Loop, can you post an outline of your intended route? i assume you're headed across Okeechobee and up the east coast?

Looking forward to your travelogue....

Peter

Greetings,
Atta boy Mr. OC! Fantastic light show last night in FLL. Almost continuous lightening for about 40 minutes. Must have run from the west right up "Alligator Alley".

Looking forward to meeting some TF member and reconnecting with some others.

When you get up to this area, have a look at anchoring in Galesville (West River) or the Rhode River... and we'll have a go at a visit by dinghy.

-Chris

Enjoy your trip Ted. Will follow along. You are inspirational.

Thanks for the link. Look forward to following along.

Cool Ted - had strong lightning overnight at home in Madeira Beach, near St Pete.

For those of us with little knowledge of The Loop, can you post an outline of your intended route? i assume you're headed across Okeechobee and up the east coast?

Looking forward to your travelogue....

Peter

Ok, so I'm waiting on the Ortona lock. There's been lightning, and they won't resume operations until 30 minutes after the last lightning.

So here's my projected route:

Cross the Okeechobee waterway to Stuart, FL.
AICW (Atlantic Intra Coastal Waterway) to Norfolk, VA.
Up Chesapeake Bay.
Through the C&D canal.
Down Delaware Bay.
Atlantic Ocean to Barnegat inlet (visit friends).
Manasquan inlet to Atlantic Ocean to New York city.
Hudson River to Waterford, NY (Erie Canal start point).
Erie Canal to Tonawanda, NY (Erie Canal & Niagara river).
Niagara River to Lake Erie.
South shore of Lake Erie toward Cleveland, OH.
Up the Detroit river.
Across Lake St Clair.
Up the St Clair river to Lake Huron.
Up Lake Huron to near the Mackinaw Bridge.
Up the St Marys river to Sault Ste Marie.
Lock into Lake Superior.

6 to 8 weeks later, leave Lake Superior and follow the above back to Fort Myers.

Ted

When you get up to this area, have a look at anchoring in Galesville (West River) or the Rhode River... and we'll have a go at a visit by dinghy.

-Chris

Either river looks fine.

Ted

Field of dreams.

20230417_141051.jpg

Screenshot_20230417_141333_Maps.jpg

Glades Boatyard and storage.

Ted

Ok, so I'm waiting on the Ortona lock. There's been lightning, and they won't resume operations until 30 minutes after the last lightning.

So here's my projected route:

Cross the Okeechobee waterway to Stuart, FL.
AICW (Atlantic Intra Coastal Waterway) to Norfolk, VA.
Up Chesapeake Bay.
Through the C&D canal.
Down Delaware Bay.
Atlantic Ocean to Barnegat inlet (visit friends).
Manasquan inlet to Atlantic Ocean to New York city.
Hudson River to Waterford, NY (Erie Canal start point).
Erie Canal to Tonawanda, NY (Erie Canal & Niagara river).
Niagara River to Lake Erie.
South shore of Lake Erie toward Cleveland, OH.
Up the Detroit river.
Across Lake St Clair.
Up the St Clair river to Lake Huron.
Up Lake Huron to near the Mackinaw Bridge.
Up the St Marys river to Sault Ste Marie.
Lock into Lake Superior.

6 to 8 weeks later, leave Lake Superior and follow the above back to Fort Myers.

Ted

Just curious, did you consider going up the Tenn Tom?

Just curious, did you consider going up the Tenn Tom?

I've gone down the Ten Tom when I did the Great Loop. Going against the current from Mobile to Chicago would be a tough at 7 knots water speed. If you had a planing hull boat, it might be a different story.

Ted

Keep at it Buddy! I so envy you.
We had our run, albeit on the wrong coast!
I will be following you and your journeys. Be safe but have fun!

Cheers, John

Subscribed to the thread and I'll be following your trip closely. In four years we'll be doing the same trip in the opposite direction (we're doing a clockwise half loop, Duluth to Stuart). Dad lives in Stuart and he's a serious boat guy, if you run into any trouble and need help, let me know.

If you duck into Bmore for the night give me a shout.

John

I’m waiting for you in Bayfield, but there is 16” of fresh snow here. Take your time……like I know you will!

Hope to not miss you this time, and hope Brad doesn’t wreck another dinghy against the dock because he was excited to meet you. (I know that isn’t what happened but it seems like a better story)

See you soon around the Apostles!

Good morning from the AICW (Atlantic Inter Coastal Waterway). Left the Okeechobee waterway this morning at 6:15am and turned North on the AICW. 987 miles to Norfolk, VA.

Turning onto the AICW and overlooking the barrier Island to the East.
20230419_061907.jpg

At command central. The 3 plotters to the left are Coastal Explorer on top, Garmin software in the center, and Aquamaps on the tablet.
20230419_062422.jpg

Not the nicest sunrise, but good to be back on the boat.
20230419_063335.jpg

Ted

I’m waiting for you in Bayfield, but there is 16” of fresh snow here. Take your time……like I know you will!

Hope to not miss you this time, and hope Brad doesn’t wreck another dinghy against the dock because he was excited to meet you. (I know that isn’t what happened but it seems like a better story)

See you soon around the Apostles!

Well you better not miss me!

I'll be at Isle Royale, Bayfield, the Apostles, Black river, Houghton / Hancock, and who knows where else. Will probably be 8 weeks in Superior this summer.

Ted

I'll try and catch you if you come to Crisfield.
Maybe we can get together for lunch or dinner.
Sold my boat about 3 weeks ago!

Jim

I'll try and catch you if you come to Crisfield.
Maybe we can get together for lunch or dinner.
Sold my boat about 3 weeks ago!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on the sale. I'm probably going to spend a day or so in Sommers Cove and get the bottom scrubbed. I'm probably 2 weeks or less away.

Ted

Ted, sounds like a wonderful trip. Is this an annual rotation between FL and the Great Lakes? Full time live aboard or ?

Ted, sounds like a wonderful trip. Is this an annual rotation between FL and the Great Lakes? Full time live aboard or ?

Annual rotation.

Go North in the spring till you won't need air conditioning for the summer. Go South in the fall till you won't need heat in the winter.

My house is in Fort Myers and I cruise 7 months a year.

Ted

Annual rotation.

Go North in the spring till you won't need air conditioning for the summer. Go South in the fall till you won't need heat in the winter.

My house is in Fort Myers and I cruise 7 months a year.

Ted

I like the parameters!

So April through October? I assume you do need a/c on the Great Lakes?!

Is your boat just docked in Florida during the winter then?

Finally, is the trip part of the joy? Or would you rather just fly to the destination? (I’m in BC so don’t know what that “commute” is like)

I am envious!

Last edited:
I like the parameters!

Finally, is the trip part of the joy? Or would you rather just fly to the destination? (I’m in BC so don’t know what that “commute” is like)

I am envious!

On the southern part of the Great Lakes we do appreciate having A/C, although I can't say we use it all that much most years. It's well worth having during the occasional heat wave, or when you get one of those rainy, but hot and humid days (as we have very little ventilation that can be left open when it's raining).

I like the parameters!

I am envious!

There's always the possibility I will use AC every now and then, but more likely I'll have the heat on when crossing Lake Superior.

I'll be in Superior from late June through late August. So the peak summer temperatures will be in a cooler lake..

While the Great Lakes are the destination, I haven't tired of the journey yet. This will be my 8th round trip on the AICW. Too many places I haven't stopped at yet. Too many places I need to go back to.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom