Marine Trader Keel - Hollow or Filled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KnottyGuy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rocinante
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 44 Trawler Tri-Cabin
My yacht is a 1979 44' Marine Trader tri-cabin twin engine. Does anyone know during this period of manufacturing if the keel was left hollow or filled with concrete? I am putting together plans to install a new marine navigation system and exploring the possibility of having a transducer(s) inside the keel. Please kindly share any information you may have. Thank you!

When I purchased my 1977 34' DC from Marine Trading International the salesman told me the keels were filled with marble chips and concrete. The marble chips come from a local quarry.

I wouldn't put a transducer in the keel. One of mine is located in a fairing block just under the forward bulkhead on the starboard side of the keel. That appears to be the factory position. The other is located aft just forward of the aft bulkhead on the starboard side.

I have a new one this year that will be shooting through the hull. Don't know where I'm going to put that.

If the keel is hollow or filled I wouldn't put the transducer in or on it. Shooting through the hull sometimes works but not very reliable.

Bite the bullet and drill the hole.

pete

Thank you for the useful information. I will assume the keel on my yacht is filled with the similar materials so it will not be used to mount transducers.

There's an existing thru-hull transducer with fairing block located midship between the two starboard side stringers. I wanted to install the Garmin GT51M-TH which has mid-chirp, ClearVu (down view), and SideVu but only using the single transducer option. Instead I will install the Garmin GT23M-TH which has only mid-chirp and ClearVu.

Back
Top Bottom