Space saving Storage Idea - Tool Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
So this is what happens when you quit work and fixup a boat; especially a small one like Weebles: you start competing with Chinese labor because they don't make exactly what you want.

I had a humongous plastic tool case with all three sets of ratches including deep-sockets. Older Craftsman when they were still made in the USA. But storing the case was a PITA, and frankly using it sucked too - how often do you need everything at once? A tiny accidental nudge scatters sockets in every cardinal direction.

I could not find an off-shelf tool roll that would work for me. So I got some Cordura 1000 fabric and pulled out my ancient Thompson Mini-Walker sewing machine. It wasn't working right so after a couple hours perusing the Sailrite website for how-to videos, it now runs like, well...a sewing machine. Another piece of equipment I now know how to repair and adjust.

Despite my poor sewing skills, I'm happy with the results and thought I'd pass along the space saving tip. Yellow for 1/4"; Orange is 3/8"; and Green for 1/2".

Peter

Tool Roll - Rolled.jpg

Tool Roll - Open.jpg

Last edited:
Weebles,

Nice idea and work.

I have an old one that I made to take numerous tools on charters. I have found that charter boat are very weak in the tool department.

Looks good. I bought 3 Dewalt tool boxes that aren’t huge. I keep 1/“ sockets in one, 3/8” in another and 1/4” in the third one. Then I put miscellaneous tools in each case and have labels on the tops showing what is in each case.

Looks good. I bought 3 Dewalt tool boxes that aren’t huge. I keep 1/“ sockets in one, 3/8” in another and 1/4” in the third one. Then I put miscellaneous tools in each case and have labels on the tops showing what is in each case.

I looked at all manner of storage. My challenge is that I plan to leave southbound from Ensenada which get's pretty desolate; meaning self-sufficient. I know I won't have all the tools, parts, and spares I'd like, but am trying. Boxes don't fit well. I lust after Guy-with-a-Boat's engine room not for the standup room, but the rollaway he must have down there. My wife (rightly) wants some of her favorite items and sees me with tools and parts.....

Tools take a lot of planning. HERE is the socket organizer's I bought that I then sewed the tool-roll around.

And then there are fasteners which are impossible to triage. I ended up with some Husky divided plastic trays that fit into a larger milk-crate. it's heavy and I'll only need 5%-10% of the tres-expensive 316SS fasterners. If I only I knew which 5%-10% I might need, I could save a ton of space and money.

I don't lust after a larger boat for most items. Parts and tools is the biggie.

Peter

Tool rolls are very handy and I’m not sure why they are absent these days. You can stuff a lot of wrenches etc with them. So maybe a good marketing opportunity for a person with some thinking and energy

Rick

I had never used tool rolls until recently. I had quite a few metric and sae end wrenches that I hardly ever use and wanted a better storage solution. If you don't care to make your own, Amazon has many to choose from.

Tool rolls are great as anyone with a motorcycle can attest too. I toss them in my 5 gallon bucket organizer. Stores nicely in my teeny tiny engine compartment.

And hey. Now I have a 5 gallon bucket on board too!

aim lucky, on our 54 trader i changed one small bedroom/shower to a workbench for electronics and the shower room to a electrical room with on one wall all the electronics, chargers, mppts dataloger, shore/invertor/generator switch box and on top of the old washing tabel i put a wooden rack for electrical tools (i disconected the water in the shower room :) ) still place short but handy to have a small workshop i used a thermostat to extract heat if needed with the air extraction blower from the shower

It's a good thing this boat has so little stowage or my tool collection from my trawler would see to it that the boat never got on plane! Even so, I need a Milwaukee - labeled water tight box and two other "average size" tool boxes to hold all the tools I want aboard. I suppose I could realistically do with a few tool rolls and fewer tools instead of the 50 pounds worth I carry for my local cruising style, but I hate having to traipse back and forth between the boat and tool shed for every little thing - more gets done if the needed tool is handy. You have made me want to start looking for tool rolls organized the stuff in my Milwaukee box.

I like the cordura for tool rolls because it is quick-dry. A lot of the cheaper ones are canvas. Cotton takes forever to dry if it gets wet. You might find a big lump of rusty tools next time you unroll it.

Last edited:
I like the cordura for tool rolls because it is quick-dry. A lot of the cheaper ones are canvas. Cotton takes forever to dry if it gets wet. You might find a big lump of rusty tools next time you unroll it.

One nice thing about my waterproof plastic Milwaukee tool box is that I can just spritz WD40 or similar stuff over the mass of tools therein after ensuring they are dry before tossing in there, but I'm still thinking about organizing a few tools in there into tool rolls.

So this is what happens when you quit work and fixup a boat; especially a small one like Weebles: you start competing with Chinese labor because they don't make exactly what you want.

I had a humongous plastic tool case with all three sets of ratches including deep-sockets. Older Craftsman when they were still made in the USA. But storing the case was a PITA, and frankly using it sucked too - how often do you need everything at once? A tiny accidental nudge scatters sockets in every cardinal direction.

I could not find an off-shelf tool roll that would work for me. So I got some Cordura 1000 fabric and pulled out my ancient Thompson Mini-Walker sewing machine. It wasn't working right so after a couple hours perusing the Sailrite website for how-to videos, it now runs like, well...a sewing machine. Another piece of equipment I now know how to repair and adjust.

Despite my poor sewing skills, I'm happy with the results and thought I'd pass along the space saving tip. Yellow for 1/4"; Orange is 3/8"; and Green for 1/2".

Peter

View attachment 134203

View attachment 134204

You’re hired!!
I’ll take a set!?

I have several tool rolls on board- for metric/SAE spanners, long set, short set, ratchets, various screwdrivers, etc.- and one for general fix up with my 20 most necessary tools to fix most smaller projects.

The tools lay out for easy viewing- no digging around. The canvas was easy to write upon with a marker for labelling purposes.

They store easily in nooks and crannies and they don't 'clang" around. Easy to grab and go, especially when heading to help a fellow boater.

Last edited:
I made mine out of a scrap of canvas and put grommets on it so that I could hang it in my engine room. It can be tied into a roll for transport, but it turns out that I just left it there. Nice to not have the roll take up the tiny floor space in my "engine room" when working.

I also have another set of wrenches in the main salon. It is probably less than 6 feet away as the crow flies, but a huge 6 feet when I have to climb out of the ER and dig through a locker. My perfect boat would have a presently unavailable system. "Alexa, hand me the pliers."

Not shown is the other side of the ER with a similar panel holding screw drivers, pliers, snips, etc. I was initially worried that the little pegboard clips might fall off in rough weather, but no problems to date. It also allows for hanging engine replacement parts right next to the side of the engine where they would be used. Under the wrenches next to the raw water filter (almost out of the picture) is a spare water pump impeller and gasket in a zip lock bag. Anything I can do to make it simple when things go wrong.

The biggest wrench isn't the original that came with the set. It's an old one that just happens to fit the crank nut. Makes turning over the engine a little easier.

If rust is an issue in your engine room, canvas can be oiled.

Attachments

• 100_0022.jpg
    100_0022.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 13
That's really nice Weebles. I have to admit that I'm really appreciating the soft tool pouches a lot these days. It's my go-to for 90% of anything that needs to be done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom