Does anyone know about this Trawler/Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanK

Vessel Name
Poerava
Wetsig C class 40 tug
Curious about this boat I've seen for sale for quite some time and several times over a wide range of prices
It is based on a 40' Navy launch(I was told Willard 40 hull / launch) by the builder Paul Wetsig.
She has ballast and a higher output diesel added later in life, seems to have gone thru multiple owners since her commissioning in 2011. She does feel rolly at the dock but wondering if anyone can say or knows how she does offshore.
Not sure if this allowed but here is a link to the boat in question
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/d/saint-petersburg-40-foot-wetsig-tug/7531666519.html

Thanks for input.

I'd bet that the hull was a navy utility boat, or possibly a personnel boat. I have a 50' utility boat and the sheer line is almost identical. Willard built them for the USN.

Interesting conversion. There is a lot above the original deck. I'd be concerned about rolling, and maybe ultimate stability as well.

I remember that boat coming up for sale around 2014. If it's the same boat (and I believe it is), I recall it being advertised as a converted ice-rated research vessel.

Again if memory serves me correctly, I recall the description at the time that the blue portion of the hull was solid fiberglass, about 6" thick. The original hull might be older? The boat was originally an ice-rated research vessel (presumably a 'launch' that was carried on a larger ship)? The conversion added the hull extension (white portion) and cabin structure.

I recall it being listed with a 300 hp Cummins 5.9. The boat is very heavy, strictly displacement speed. I remember the fuel capacity being on the light side and thus somewhat limited range (befitting a boat that would have been used as a support vessel, launched from a larger ship?).

It had a couple of quirks, as all boats do (especially with the design compromises inherent with cramming a lot into a 40 ft boat). The cockpit was very small, and the ladder to the upper deck could only be reached from the outside of the transom.

It's a very cool boat. I also remember it being listed at the time for around $300k. If it's in good condition and not damaged in Ian, this seems like a very reasonable price (maybe too reasonable)?

Very cool. I'm sure that's a utility boat hull.

Almost bought it :) - Purchased survey

It’s an amazing boat and I actually talked to the builder (in Wilmington NC) and then made an offer contingent on survey- flew down and after survey didn’t purchase it.

I did have a mechanical and boat survey completed so if you buy it call me first and I can set you up with the team who did the survey and they will probably do another one for you really cheap :)

Awesome boat- if I had time I would have fixed it as no one pulls into a marina with a boat as unique as that - awesome tender garage that floods with water to exit then pumps the water out :)

The ‘ utility boat ‘ assessment is dead on and the fact that she is stabilized pretty much says it. I’m one who strongly believes if it looks right it usually is and those high bulwark panels painted white really hurt her appearance. A matching hull color would bring them down to the eye. Removing them or lowering them would reveal her true pedigree which isn’t tug. Too much windage for a hull like this.

Rick

"Too much windage for a hull like this." Full keel so I doubt the windage would be any worse than most trawlers. Stabilized so rolling should not be an issue. Cool boat. Looks like a deal at that price.

"Too much windage for a hull like this." Full keel so I doubt the windage would be any worse than most trawlers. Stabilized so rolling should not be an issue. Cool boat. Looks like a deal at that price.
Do you have insight on the underwater profile? The hull wasn't designed to be a trawler, so comparisons should be made cautiously.

I notice no information or pics of the underbody. Here's my educated guess. Mk2%2040%20foot%20utility%20boat%201024%20C%203.jpg

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

Those are narrow hulls. I'd not be comfortable with that much added superstructure on that hull. They are very seaworthy hulls...as designed but rolly poly. Jeff F's 50 conversion would be as much house as I'd be comfortable with.... Lots of those 40 and 50 UTB hull conversions have been done successfully. Price is a wish...

As Jeff F says and as I noted in a earlier post this is a problematic conversion. It may be a decent in shore protected waters cruiser but beyond that stabilizers or not this is a seriously compromised package in terms of stability and handling

Rick

I was actually thinking this would be more like the Willard 40 hull design. Without seeing the hull or knowing what it is we're all just guessing. I'd hesitate to make disparaging comments about someone's boat without knowing if it's true.

I’m also fairly sure this hull started life as a 40’ MUB Navy boat.
I can vouch that the boat, even in stock form, no superstructure at all, just an open boat is very “rolly” which will only be exacerbated by additional superstructure and windage.
Someone has poured way too much time and money in it, and Despite that, I fear that she’s pretty much going to be a dock queen, or a cruiser of very calm waters.
Unbelievably thick hull glass, I’d like to see a weight number.
The 50’ iteration of the Navy’s MUB looks quite similar, but it is longer, wider and much more stable.
The blue boat is a 40, and the gray one is a 50.

Attachments

• 27628A7F-3776-49AD-8DD5-47ADEE9C17D1.jpg
    27628A7F-3776-49AD-8DD5-47ADEE9C17D1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Price is a wish...

At 125k? Not a perfect boat for everybody, but it looks well done. Compare to say a KK Manatee.

I'm not really disparaging the boat. Might be a great Looper or river boat. Certainly lots of character. I love telling people how my boat came to be.

I was actually thinking this would be more like the Willard 40 hull design. Without seeing the hull or knowing what it is we're all just guessing.

No guessing required. Nick14 provided link to a description that stated the hull design was based upon USCG ice-rated Arctic Survey Boat (ASB) 39020. The design was then heavily modified with beam going from 11'3" to 12'6", draft from 4' to 4'6", original weight was 12 tons.

It has a round chine and 1000lbs of external lead ballast. Some misc interesting features:
1) hydraulically activated watertight stern hatch that provides access to a drive-in tender garage.
2) Wesmar’s latest active digital gyro and hydraulic stabilization system
3) Magma hull-mounted “Rock & Roll” outriggers and passive stabilization system
It carries 445 gallons of diesel giving it a range of 1000 miles. It has traveled to Panama and the Exumas.

It appears to equipped with all the latest bells and whistles but the overall design leaves something to be desired. No aft deck so chairs are placed on unshaded foredeck for eating or relaxing. Helm appears to be well designed but main cabin is poorly designed. Doesn't appear to be suitable for long journeys.

The queen bed in the v-berth might work in a quiet anchorage but otherwise... Stabilizers can be problematic, a drive in tender garage in a 40' boat? round chines? I think it would make a great weekender with 100 mile side trips but Panama? No thanks.

No guessing required. Nick14 provided link to a description that stated the hull design was based upon USCG ice-rated Arctic Survey Boat (ASB) 39020. The design was then heavily modified with beam going from 11'3" to 12'6", draft from 4' to 4'6", original weight was 12 tons.

A broker's claim that I remain skeptical of. Here's what Google spits out for that description. Vaguely similar profile, but I don't see the lineage.

I guess we can all agree it's not a Willard 40 [emoji846]arcticscout2.jpg

Hi Dallas, I'm curious how did she handle and other then a leaking stabilizer and a bunch of minor things, what major issues were wrong with it? We passed but I still think about her, sort of wished we'd bought her...

Ryan, It’s a cool boat so I understand your thinking. Give me a call and I can tell you more 989-eight 31-8925. If you miss me just leave me a msg and I will call you back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom