John Deere Lugger Marine Engine (by Northern Lights) question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capran

Vessel Name
Honu
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38/Mariner Saville 37
I have an 85 HP Lugger Engine "by Northern Lights" as my main engine for a Helmsman 38 (Mariner Seville 37 Pilothouse-2008). Found a manual which, on page 25, says:" If the generator set will not be used for more than 6 months...1) Change engine oil and filter (done) 2. Drain, flush and refill cooling system. Plan to do. 3) "Crank the engine a few times with a starter without starting the engine". Is that a non-applicable issue since my engine is the main engine and not a generator (even though it is the same engine as some have for their generator)? I don't know how to crank the engine without starting it, and planned to run RV fluid through via the seawater strainer anyway, and have a 5 gallon bucket with an 8 gallon per minute pump to get the RV fluid from the bucket to the strainer, which I can keep filled as it empties. I had hoped to have this done by a John Deere engine servicing place that is only 2 blocks away from the boat (which is on the hard in Anacortes Wa), but the place I called said to e mail him the specifics which I did, but have not heard back, so I'm thinking I may have to do it myself. Just hoping to nail down this issue.

I suppose their thought is to circulate some lube oil with no combustion. Not a bad idea - even better idea next spring before you start it. Generator motors may be more critical in this regard as they go immediately to 1800 rpm before the oil pressure is up and stabilized.

If the engine stop is manual, leave it stopped and crank. If it is an electric solenoid, hot wire it to the stop state (details on that will vary) and crank. Or hot wire the starter solenoid and crank with the key off.

I suppose their thought is to circulate some lube oil with no combustion. Not a bad idea - even better idea next spring before you start it. Generator motors may be more critical in this regard as they go immediately to 1800 rpm before the oil pressure is up and stabilized.

If the engine stop is manual, leave it stopped and crank. If it is an electric solenoid, hot wire it to the stop state (details on that will vary) and crank. Or hot wire the starter solenoid and crank with the key off.

On my sailboat there was a pull lever that stopped the motor, and if you left the lever up, you could crank without starting. Not sure how the manual vs electric would be determined. Supposedly the engine doesn't have the frills of alot of electronic components. Maybe I'll get lucky and sometime before spring actually find a mechanic who will agree to come out and help me assess. For now, I guess I'll just have to run it with the RV antifreeze knowing I changed the oil and ran it after changing it, so it should be well lubricated. After our "winter", which is mild compared to the NE, I'll go over and run it again and dewinterize the fresh water. Was just hoping there might be another lugger engine owner with specifics.

Tri County Diesel in Bellingham is beyond reproach. 360-733-8880. They are my “go to” for any diesel engine matters. Jim was the service manager at the last contact. They are very easy to work with.

Who knows why they said that in the generator manual, but its perfectly fine to run the propulsion engine after an oil change as part of your winter prep.

My winter layup is over that 6 month limit. When I do my oil change is when I have the time and the hours have passed 100. This often coincides with winter layup, but if not, oh well. Every oil change ends with running the engine, first to ensure the oil filter is full, so that a check of the level in the sump will be accurate. Then, should I be unable to return to the boat for quite a while, I don't let the calendar interfere with my other plans that keep me from the boat. When I return, I often run the boat, as I usually need to move it, but if that doesn't occur, oh well. Whether the layup is 2 months, 4, 6 or 8, makes little or no difference to the health of the engines. They always respond to the jolt of the starter spinning by starting right up.

I thought this sounded familiar, and found the same instructions in the owner's manual for my jd4045tfm75, which is a close cousin to your engine.

My manual also specifies that the motor be cranked for 30 seconds after an oil change. I do that by closing the fuel valve between the Racors and the motor.

Back
Top Bottom