Any Vashon Pocket Trawlers in the San Juan Islands, WA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKMary

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kingfisher
Vessel Make
1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
I'm going to be putting my pilothouse trawler for sale after cruising this summer, and am interested in learning more about Vashon Pocket Trawlers.

If anyone has one in the San Juan Islands, WA, I'm going to be in the area through the end of August & would love to see one in person. It doesn't have to be for sale, I just want to get a feel for the boat. I'm happy just to look at it from the water/dock - no need for a personal tour.

Thanks for any leads on where to get a glimpse of a Vashon Island Boatworks Pocket Trawler.

Mary

Hi Mary,
There usta be at least one Vashon Trawler on TF. My memory’s getting bad. He was from Florida and was re-fitting his boat more often than cruising. You’d be reall lucky to get his boat but it would be far away from us in the PNW.

Have you considered the Albin 25? More speed and more space but something that could be golden for you is the Albin’s trailer-ability. Not as cute as the VT tho.

Hi Eric,
The Albin is on our list of boats to explore. But you know how it is when you stumble upon a setup that looks so appealing, and right now I'm fixated on those little Vashon trawlers. :D I've only ever seen pics & just want to get a look at one for real.

I've just started to explore options for my next boat. I'm completely open to anything & everything but am leaning towards something small & efficient that I can cruise & fish from (downrigger & pot puller) and poke around tiny bays.

Thanks for the suggestion, and keep em coming!

Yeah - I saw that listing. Wish I still lived in AK so I could go take a look. There's a thread on this forum from the seller when he purchased that Vashon last year. I'll post if I find out more info about Rumpus. Thanks!

Hi Mary,
There usta be at least one Vashon Trawler on TF. My memory’s getting bad. He was from Florida and was re-fitting his boat more often than cruising. You’d be reall lucky to get his boat but it would be far away from us in the PNW.

Have you considered the Albin 25? More speed and more space but something that could be golden for you is the Albin’s trailer-ability. Not as cute as the VT tho.

I'm still here! You sound like my wife though! I actually do take her out, but I will admit that I enjoy babying and keeping her in stellar condition. I just replaced the hydraulic lines and installed a new custom aluminum diesel tank.

I might consider selling Sherpa, but it would take some convincing! :) The photo is of my Vashon during her last haul out.

P.S. Yes, the Vashon is far more jaunty and cute than an Albin, but I do love Albins. The Vashon's hull is commercial grade and almost 1" thick handlaid fiberglass. They were made for commercial salmon trolling in the PNW. Of course, I am a little biased.

Attachments

• received_781323035962425.jpg
    received_781323035962425.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
In Homer Alaska I saw a very similar vessel, it was some kind of a Bristol Bay double ender. I can't recall the make but I asked about it because it looked like a Vashon. I am sure it's not in manufacture anymore either.

Back
Top Bottom