Unreasonable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:thumb::thumb:
Then there is Commodave sig line that gives you the readers digest version.

Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.

My wife and I were discussing the recent MegaMillions lottery with our boys. We bought $20 in tickets last week. Dad, could we win? Almost certainly not. Then why do you buy any tickets, you wasted $20? We're spending $20 just to buy a few minutes of fun, just to talk about what we would do with a billion dollars (which will never actually occur). It's like buying a ticket to an amusement park ride. We're just spending a few bucks on transitory amusement.

Meanwhile I just bought a new open radar array for a heck of a lot more than a Powerball ticket.

We bought $20 in tickets last week. Dad, could we win? Almost certainly not. .

Its an extraordinarily small chance of winning an extraordinarily large payoff.

There is actually some economic / investment theory that supports that.

I throw that out there for one reason only: If it makes you feel better the next time you feel inclined to flip a couple of bucks to the government for your shot at generational wealth, go for it with an easy mind.

:D

Oh heck, you can't apply logic or analytics to this. We could have had the hypothetical conversation about winning without actually buying a ticket at all and saves $20, but on some deep, irrational, emotional or subjective, level, it's just not quite the same. And we could just charter, or go for rides on somebody else's boat, or take day sails on tourist boats out of Newport -- but on some entirely subjective level, it's just not quite the same.

Yup. I don't even need to leave the slip to enjoy my boat. Just sit out on the deck with a cold one, maybe a fish pole, binoculars and the Delta breeze - :)

Reactions: FWT
297075904_10160491204384824_7272214261927941405_n.jpg

Interesting perspective that could easily be rewritten for any non-essential in life.
Golf clubs, tennis racquets, sports cars, tents, camping gear, hiking boots, etc, etc, etc. You can look at them solely as a source of additional expenditures or you can view them as a source of pleasure, relaxation, etc that comes with some associated costs.

Interesting perspective that could easily be rewritten for any non-essential in life.
Golf clubs, tennis racquets, sports cars, tents, camping gear, hiking boots, etc, etc, etc. You can look at them solely as a source of additional expenditures or you can view them as a source of pleasure, relaxation, etc that comes with some associated costs.

Bacchus:
I was surprised to read this post from you. Did I misunderstand that you are comparing owning "Golf clubs, tennis racquets" etc to the profoundly soul-expanding joy of owning a boat?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Bacchus:
I was surprised to read this post from you. Did I misunderstand that you are comparing owning "Golf clubs, tennis racquets" etc to the profoundly soul-expanding joy of owning a boat?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Not exactly... for a boater there is no analogy but for the avid hiker I'm sure they would see boats as just another toy but their hiking gear as a life changing episode each time they venture out to conquer "xyz". There are any number of locales that provide hikers a challenge akin to " the loop". Ex: the Adirondack "High Peaks" and the elite "46ers" come to mind. There are those that have climbed high peaks on all the continents...
To a boater those hiking boots & gear are just unnecessary expense and totally impractical aboard. You get the idea

I've never lost playing the lottery; can't loose if you don't play.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom