Looking at a 1972 Hatteras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Seeing as this thread drifts off actual "Interesting Boats" - and, I don't mean to hijack.

I'm looking into a 1972 Hatt... please PM me [or post here] your take/cautions on the following:

500 hour 871 Detroit diesel’s / 2-1 Allison M20 Transmissions / Mathers electronic controls

Thanks! - Art

Have owned 2 Hatts, 1977 58 EDMY and 1976 48 LRC. Obviously am a Hatteras fan. Had 8V71 engines on the 58. 500 hours must be since some type of overhaul? That needs much more detail. Good engines if well maintained. Are they turbos? They are expensive to replace but not necessarily more than any other brand. Hull is probably solid glass below the waterline but balsa cored decks. Almost guaranteed some of the core will be wet. If small area then not too much concern but still can be costly. This is pretty common in other boats of this age, worse in those that were built with teak decks screwed into the decks.

Happy to share my experience if you want to PM and chat. Generally they are great boats as long as you get a good survey and it is priced realistically.

I've had my 1971 45' Convertible for 18 years, put a lot of time and money in it, but it's a good boat and I'd do it again if I was younger. All Ready's comments are the same as mine would be. You'll find moisture in the balsa deck coring.. I have none in my foredeck and around the windlass but lots of moisture around the cockpit, around the rod holders and cleats. The good news is that the fiberglass surrounding the core cavity is thick enough to not need the core for adequate strength. They built them heavy in those days. The 871N's will likely run forever with replacement of the engines' hang-ons. I found mine hard to live with from the high noise level and profuse oil leaks and repowered with Cummins 10 years ago. The original Allison M20 gears were mechanical so yours have had an upgrade with the Mathers. I've had only minor hull blisters. The plumbing and electrical are good, as you'd expect. Long and short, Hatts have good bones, but be careful not to pay too much for an old boat. You likely won't get any price premium back on resale and old boats cost more to maintain. Still, a great boat and I'm glad I own one.

Thanks Ready and Ken E. for input. Also, thanks Shrew for placing this in new thread.

The ad is strangely worded for the Hatt I mention. I'm waiting for reply to my inquiry. Thought they'd have gotten back to me by now. Will send another email this eve. Price is right. Photos look OK. From what I can tell owners [selling because they're in heir 80's] had it for decades. The 500 hrs. on diesels makes me interested. Figure [hope] must be representing hrs. after a full rebuild???

Currently I'm having two guys from my EZ Build Masonry and Concrete const. co. clean up and wax our 1977, 34' Tollycraft tri cabin - we've owned her 14 yrs... gonna sell her! Would like to get bigger "vintage" boat that's in good enough [i.e., okay] condition.

Art - :speed boat:

Art,

A lot of times when people don’t respond to your inquiries is that the boat has/is being sold. With this market, don’t wait for them to respond, keep bugging them until you get an answer.

Art,

A lot of times when people don’t respond to your inquiries is that the boat has/is being sold. With this market, don’t wait for them to respond, keep bugging them until you get an answer.

Sent first email last eve. Second went this eve!

Sent first email last eve. Second went this eve!

Well, fellas... thanks again for input. Owner rep called this eve. Ad had way too much BS in its context. No more desire to learn any more.

Cheers! - Art

On to the next one!!

Well at least you got a response…

True!

But it was a scam artist selling a pos. His ill intent and untruths about the boat were quickly uncovered by my questions. I enjoy briefly grilling BS's. Makes me feel like a cat batting around a Dirty RAT! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom