GB 36 Bridge Deck Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fdw

Veteran Member
Re 1977 GB 36 bridge deck removal (for over-the-road transport): I think I remember reading somewhere that GB built the early 36s with easy bridge deck removal in mind. Does anyone have details? Thanks.

I’ve read it’s very involved. I’ve also read the task should be hired out and the same person hired to reassemble at the new location. Have you considered selling your GB and purchasing another GB at the new location? All things considered, it could be cheaper.

I’ve attached a screen shot from my GB42 manual.

Attachments

• 2B3792B2-8AE5-49E3-898D-E7831B8AF4A3.jpg
    2B3792B2-8AE5-49E3-898D-E7831B8AF4A3.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 66
Removing the bridge and going over the road would be my absolute last resort to move my 36. Do you want to elaborate on your intentions? If I were going to the opposite coast I would sell and purchase another boat before going over the road. However I will check my manual on the boat and see what I can find for you.

Another thought. If you’re moving your boat to another location on the same coast, the cost may be cheaper to hire a captain to move the boat.

Not familiar with the GB flybridge removal but it can be anything from easy to horrible depending on how it is built. Be absolutely careful on labeling everything that is unhooked and take a bunch of photos of everything. It is very easy to forget how it came apart. And be prepared for new leaks. A friend had his bridge removed on a Californian and he said it took him 2 years to fix all the leaks and electrical problems that cropped up after the move.

Last edited:
Hi

There's a gentleman in my neighborhood selling a 1976 GB42 with good engines and generator; the $37,500 reflects rotten woodwork in the cabin and flybridge sole, and teak decks in general. My question is, can you remove the whole cabin and decks just as easily as the flybridge?
Brendan

When I sold my 1979 GB 42 the new owner removed the flying bridge for trucking to England:

Attachments

• DSC_0273 (1).jpg
    DSC_0273 (1).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0272 (2).jpg
    DSC_0272 (2).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 27
Years ago we purchased a GB 36 in Wisconsin and had it trucked to Seattle Washington and did not have to remove the fly bridge. It made the trip just fine except for some road dirt.

Thanks Gbinterim, that's encouraging. Do you have any other information...picture, name of trucking company, anything?

You may want to reach out to Joule Transport out of Clearwater FL. While few truckers have good online reviews, they have less-bad than others (at least when I looked a few years ago). They have specially designed trailers for boats and can tip the boat forward (similar to how the GB42 in one of the pics up-thread). With removal of venturi screen, there's a decent chance you will be below the 13'6" magic number for trucking. Given the number of GB36 boats out there, they may have direct knowledge.

Good luck

Peter

GB 36 FB removal

9 years ago, we transported our 36 GB Classic from New York to Washington state. Fly bridge removal was required. It is not a task for the faint of heart as it requires many man hours and patience. I spent 10 days preparing the boat for transport and another to rebuild 10 days upon reaching destination. Distance covered, 4000 miles, total project cost $27000.00, including $18000 trucking fee. For me the cost was justified because I could not locate one for sale closer to home. I do not regret it, but would never do it again. Long distance overland transport is hard on a boat.

Thanks all, and note that I also posted on the Grand Banks FaceBook page.

Most everyone reported lots of negatives and challenges removing the bridge deck, but also reported removal was necessary for trucking. However, one FB picture showed a GB 36 going over-the-road with bridge deck intact with a reported height of 4.2 meters (13' 10').

Several trucking companies ignored my inquiries. The only quote I received was for $22.50 per loaded mile. Compare that to the cost of $4.50 ($18,000 for 4,000 miles) per loaded mile nine years ago.

Go figure...!

I trucked my GB42 from San Diego to Galveston in 1990 with the flying bridge intact for $9800. The trucking company was out of Pasadena ,TX but no longer in business. The rate would have doubled east of the Mississippi to get it to Jacksonville, FL; so, I went by water from Galveston and just stopped permanently in Panama City. Still here - different boat now.

Where were you going to move it to and where from?

My home area marinas are in the Knoxville area on the Tennessee River (just upstream from Chattanooga).

I am comparing the cost/time/aggravation of moving a GB 36 via land vs. water from Savannah to Chattanooga. It's only 375 Interstate miles, but 1,750 water miles around Florida et. al. I project the relocation would take a couple of days by Interstate, and a couple of months by water.

If only I had the time.....

Trucking, one would think, makes sense. But taking the bridge off can be a big can of worms. Good luck with which every way you go.

My home area marinas are in the Knoxville area on the Tennessee River (just upstream from Chattanooga).

I am comparing the cost/time/aggravation of moving a GB 36 via land vs. water from Savannah to Chattanooga. It's only 375 Interstate miles, but 1,750 water miles around Florida et. al. I project the relocation would take a couple of days by Interstate, and a couple of months by water.

As someone who did the loop on my 36, I strongly recommend you do it yourself or hire a captain instead of ripping off the bridge and trucking it. It would be a great trip and you can do it in a month.

I project the relocation would take a couple of days by Interstate, and a couple of months by water.

Going by water doesn't have to be done in one shot either. Leave the boat where ever you need to stop, and resume the trip when the pesky job doesn't interfere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom