A/C "Condensator" drain - does it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Installing A/C for first time on my Willard 36. I see both Webasto and Mermaid Air offer a "Condensator" kit to merge condesation drain into the main coolant water discharge. Not cheap at $220, but workable if they perform as intended.

I see no reason they shouldn't work given the Venturi/Pitot tube concept is well known, but curious if anyone has encountered issues with their use? One of my drains would be difficult to route without dips thus my interest.

https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/accessories/mermaid-condensator/

Thanks in advance -

Peter

A friend had one and it was continually plugging up due to the tiny orifice. He kept cleaning it out and finally went to a sump pump. Neat idea but if there is any debris in the condensate pan it plugs up.

I had my A/C installed a year after I got the boat - but with the exact factory solution, installation location and installation strategy. The condensate has drained directly into my Whale grey-water sump. I've never had any problem with this thus far.

I plumbed an AC drain and the anchor chain locker into my shower / sink sump and have been extremely happy with the arrangement. Having the AC raw water loop as a sealed simple system, just makes all kinds of sense.

Ted

I looked into them, but found them to be too high maintenance for my tastes. A/c condensate grows slime and tends to plug up drains etc. They have filters and strainers to keep the orifices clear, but they need to be cleaned frequently. I would drain into a shower or sink sump or its own dedicated sump and pump system.

Gravity is your friend. Use it to your advantage! If you have no choice, use a sump and pump it. Drop the condensate lines into your shower sump, or install a small sump and pump it. You'll have enough maintenance with that tried & true system without adding the complexity of costly gimmicks that are nearly guaranteed to create maintenance headaches.

I'd avoid dropping condensate into the bilge, although that would, IMO be preferable to spending that kind of money on the condensator.

Back
Top Bottom