Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABQLD

Vessel Name
Placebo
Vessel Make
Fairway 36
I have recently acquired a vessel in Australia that is fitted with a Lombardini LMG9000 genset.
It’s a 2 cylinder 3,000rpm setup that is meant to be good for 9kva.
It is 15 years old and has done 1,700 hours.
Down under we run AC power at 240v and circa 50hz.
It is producing the 50hz no problems but is only generating 195v.
On shore power the voltage gauge registers 240.
Nothing terrible happening yet however electrical appliances like the toaster arent getting to full heat.
I’ve got a couple questions if anyone can help.
In its current state do I run the risk of damaging any of the on board circuitry systems like the water heater, battery chargers, air conditioning etc?
Has anyone else addressed this and if so what was the fix?
Thanks in advance.

Always best to measure voltage, hertz, and RPM while you're at it, at the generator to eliminate boat wiring as an issue. I wouldn't be running anything until resolving the issue. While an induction heat element such as a water heater wouldn't be effected by low voltage, appliances with AC motors and electronics could seriously be damaged.

If you've verified low voltage with the correct hertz and RPM at the generator, probably time to call a professional familiar with that brand.

Ted

Always best to measure voltage, hertz, and RPM while you're at it, at the generator to eliminate boat wiring as an issue. I wouldn't be running anything until resolving the issue. While an induction heat element such as a water heater wouldn't be effected by low voltage, appliances with AC motors and electronics could seriously be damaged.

If you've verified low voltage with the correct hertz and RPM at the generator, probably time to call a professional familiar with that brand.

Ted
Thanks Ted.
I’ll get a sparky out ASAP.
Hopefully an AVR adjustment is possible but probably a bit of wishful thinking to find 30-40V.

Hi AB

Perhaps a bit belated but welcome. We had use of a Fairway 36 (Bluegum) for a couple of years so we are a fan of Fairways.

Where are you - we are over at Wynnum Manly?

Hi there Brisyboy.
I’ve got the boat at Manly.
20 years ago when I was getting g around the bay on trailer boats I used to see Fairway’s plodding around and always thought they looked like a great bay boat.
Wind the clock forward to an alignment of my retirement and a pandemic and my travel plans were somewhat curbed.
Some cruising seemed like a great alternative and the search began.
I found this one just before Xmas which is an 06 one owner boat.
Slowly working my way through some neglected issues but hope to be ready to hit the Sandy Straights and possibly the Bunker Group this winter.
Thanks for reaching out.

Ted gave the best advice, take care to adjust the voltage and Hz to safety.

we have 230V / 50Hz here, the same as you have. my genny without load 240V and fully load 230V. Sometimes the ports have low electricity of about 215V and only the Victron charger can handle this low current, others are malfunctioning and may at worst overheat litle.

230V/50hz the current variation in the mains is +/- 10% limit values, I think it is a matter of small adjustment of your genny.

NBs

Last edited:
Decade ago, installing a new UPS in a school to power a new rack of switches. Had the school district electricians onsite for the activation, had 208V at the disconnect but dropped to 165V when energized. Two hours later, a bunch of corroded fittings were replaced and 208V stayed 208V. I don't think the cafeteria had a spatula big enough to scrape the egg off the electrician's faces, but we were all amazing that it had dipped that low (UPS went into battery charge as soon as it was activated and had quite a draw).

It can be quite surprising how much voltage can be dropped on a bad connection, also the heat generated.

You should have a adjustment on your voltage regulator, or front panel for the voltage output. 3k rpm is good for 50 hhz as you want.

Great admirer of the Fairway 36. Now built in Taiwan, ABQLD`s is good old Queensland Aussie built. A boat on my marina is currently fitting a low hour second hand Lombardini, seems to be contained in a plastic suitcase ? sound shield. Looked a nice piece of kit.

I have recently acquired a vessel in Australia that is fitted with a Lombardini LMG9000 genset.
It’s a 2 cylinder 3,000rpm setup that is meant to be good for 9kva.
It is 15 years old and has done 1,700 hours.
Down under we run AC power at 240vand circa 50hz.
It is producing the 50hz no problems but is only g enerating 195v.
On shore power the voltage gauge registers 240.
Nothing terrible happening yet however electrical appliances like the toaster arent getting to full heat.
I’ve got a couple questions if anyone can help.
In its current state do I run the risk of damaging any of the on board circuitry systems like the water heater, battery chargers, air conditioning etc?
Has anyone else addressed this and if so what was the fix?
Thanks in advance.

Yes it can hurt electronics. There is a term called brown out which refers to low voltage outside of equipment standard operating range. Each electrical an electronic manufacture has separate low and ranges for acceptable voltage input. If you drop below that, there is significant risk of damage and/or reduced lifespan of the equipment.

"It can be quite surprising how much voltage can be dropped on a bad connection, also the heat generated."

However a special set of pans is not required to use the heat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom