Settee back cushion build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBoy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1982 Albin 40 DC
Hey guys- for whatever reason, my 1982 Albin 40 DC did not come with the back cushions for the settee and I want to build them myself. What I need help with is how to bend the 1/2” plywood for the corner piece. I don’t want a hard 90° corner but one with the radii. I had two thoughts:

A.) rip multiple cuts with a table saw through to the last layer of ply, soak wood in water, bend then epoxy in the cuts so it keeps it’s form.

Or

B.) rip strips of the ply on angle to form the bend. Say 6 strips at 15°. Then glue the strips together to and sand the edges for a smooth curve.

Below I have attach a picture of the settee. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• CCE43D4C-0C23-4870-A32F-0F67BCDDF0B1.jpg
    CCE43D4C-0C23-4870-A32F-0F67BCDDF0B1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 24
Hey guys- for whatever reason, my 1982 Albin 40 DC did not come with the back cushions for the settee and I want to build them myself. What I need help with is how to bend the 1/2” plywood for the corner piece. I don’t want a hard 90° corner but one with the radii. I had two thoughts:

A.) rip multiple cuts with a table saw through to the last layer of ply, soak wood in water, bend then epoxy in the cuts so it keeps it’s form.

Or

B.) rip strips of the ply on angle to form the bend. Say 6 strips at 15°. Then glue the strips together to and sand the edges for a smooth curve.

Below I have attach a picture of the settee. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.
Why not just get cushions? You know Admials love pillows.

Or

I am not certain, but I think that my corner cushions in a banquette have no solid back, just the foam. I will check later this week when I'm on the boat and revert.
~A

A thought.
Use 1/8 veneer X 4 to get 1/2 inch. Build a frame into the corner for backing to bend the 1/8 material past the point where later you will later cut it. Apply glue and lay the next 1/8 and so on. oversize so you can trim to suit.

I am not certain, but I think that my corner cushions in a banquette have no solid back, just the foam. I will check later this week when I'm on the boat and revert.
~A

Awesome. Thanks AlanT

A thought.
Use 1/8 veneer X 4 to get 1/2 inch. Build a frame into the corner for backing to bend the 1/8 material past the point where later you will later cut it. Apply glue and lay the next 1/8 and so on. oversize so you can trim to suit.

Also a good idea

~A
A thought.
These were my initial thoughts.
Regardless of which you choose its best to cut the foam about a 1/2" oversize around all sides compared to what you'd like as finished dimensions. Make the cover the finished size desired and "stuff" the foam in to fill the shape w/o any puckers.
If stuffing is difficult use of a very light wt plastic bag (dry cleaner bag) will help and can be left in place or pulled out after providing opening left toward the far end from the covering opening.
Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

A thought.

:thumb:
All but the final layer can be construction grade plywood, "door skin", the last, fine teak or other veneer to suit.

why do you need plywood? most corner back cushions are simply a stiff foam (backing) with softer foam on the seat side if that's your preference.

why do you need plywood? most corner back cushions are simply a stiff foam (backing) with softer foam on the seat side if that's your preference.

After another look at the original post, I see he has the teak plywood in place to give shape to whatever cushions are added. The rail above curves around the corner, so the plywood back section below must curve around as well. The OP must be asking only about building the cushions for the corner. His question suggests that he will use plywood inside the cushion to get the curve.

My boat has a similar settee, with a curved corner. Our upholstery has been replaced twice. Building the corner cushion was indeed a challenge. It was accomplished by sewing a curve in the edge pieces of fabric and bending a flat piece of 4" foam into the bent cushion after it was sewn, where the zipper was in the bottom edge. It works. You just need to get the dimensions figured out first.
Measure twice, then cut.

This is probably the minority opinion but I will put it out there. I do not understand draw of rounded back corners in boat L shaped benches. The best thing about these benches is that you can lounge around on them in the evening with your back in the corner of the bench, and your legs splayed out. If there is a weird round corner it messes everything up. My advice is to take this opportunity to modify the wood bench back and make it square, then sew square cushions to go with it. If your wood working isn't the best, it won't really matter since it will be hidden behind the cushion. If you do decide to keep the round corner, I would make the normal cushions on either side of it, then take them to a professional, and have them build the round cushion to match the ones you made. I think it is going to be ver hard to make a round cushion that look good.

I recently sewed new cushions for my new boat. My benches were framed square, but there was a rounded cushion in the corner, with a square back. When I made new cushions I changed it to a square corner. It doesn't look quite as custom, but it is way more comfortable than the original set up. It was also way easier to sew.

Attachments

• IMG_0095 (1).jpg
    IMG_0095 (1).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0096 (1).jpg
    IMG_0096 (1).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 14
This is probably the minority opinion but I will put it out there. I do not understand draw of rounded back corners in boat L shaped benches. The best thing about these benches is that you can lounge around on them in the evening with your back in the corner of the bench, and your legs splayed out. If there is a weird round corner it messes everything up. My advice is to take this opportunity to modify the wood bench back and make it square, then sew square cushions to go with it. If your wood working isn't the best, it won't really matter since it will be hidden behind the cushion. If you do decide to keep the round corner, I would make the normal cushions on either side of it, then take them to a professional, and have them build the round cushion to match the ones you made. I think it is going to be ver hard to make a round cushion that look good.

I recently sewed new cushions for my new boat. My benches were framed square, but there was a rounded cushion in the corner, with a square back. When I made new cushions I changed it to a square corner. It doesn't look quite as custom, but it is way more comfortable than the original set up. It was also way easier to sew.

Dude…. I love your settee cushions. That’s a great idea

This is probably the minority opinion but I will put it out there. I do not understand draw of rounded back corners in boat L shaped benches. The best thing about these benches is that you can lounge around on them in the evening with your back in the corner of the bench, and your legs splayed out. If there is a weird round corner it messes everything up.
:thumb:I could not agree more. It was my first thought when I saw this thread.

Snapdragon III- can you tell me how you made your cushions? i.e. fabric, foam, material

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom