Why are you selling your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are lots of posits in various threads about people planning to sell their boats in the next year or two; it sort of makes me sad.

Every sale has its own reasons that are specific but are there some generalities?

Getting older so cruising no longer enjoyable or safe? (Starting at what age?)

Competing interests?

Financial? Declining use?

Upsizing ? Downsizing?

Maintenance?

It seems most of the posts fall in to the first category of having done it for 5 to 10 plus years and moving on?

Well.. all positions and decision are respectable.
We both are burning our 80th year. This afternoon I was in our boat just writing to do list... an we enjoy it and we dream to do more things. Less then before..sure, but we are still very pleased to enjoy our corner of peace....

We bought our Cheoy Lee 34 Trawler last year, worked on it for a few months and cruised 12 of the best/most popular ports in the PNW. We plan to do that again July-October this year, and maybe again with a push to Alaska in 2023. But while originally we had thought we might cruise her back to the Sea of Cortez where our main home is, we will likely sell her up there. She is designed for cool weather cruising with pilothouse and diesel furnace, no AC. I think we might eventually get another GB42 and have another go at the Great Loop we started in 2001 and do it counter-clockwise this time. We were members 242 of GLCA and to date have only done Outer Banks to Northern Alabama (roughly 35% of the Loop). Maybe even get on down to Exumas/Bahamas. Did Cuba and Yucatan on the last GB42 from Key West and should have pushed on to Belize and Bay of Honduras with Rio Dulce as a hub/hurricane hole? Having lived in Mexico for over a decade, our Spanish has gotten much better and I am ready to spend time in that "dangerous" part of the world again.
Then again, the Sea of Cortez (Gulfo de California) is always calling out to me.
I must see what is out there to explore. We enjoyed La Paz and even Playa Pulmo. Getting a boat set up for fishing and diving in SOC would be pleasant for at least a year or two. Buying boats, fixing them up, cruising and exploring a region, and then moving on to another region, or different type of cruising is enjoyable to me. I wish we could just trade boats for a season, and do a swap as people do with second homes. It is just a major risk trying to find someone that will be capable and willing to provide the care and maintenance they require.

i need to sell a couple cause i just have too many! i'm trying to get down to only one because it's too hard to maintain three...

Combination of things. Been a boat owner continuously for 63 years. Aging out, almost 80. Fuel getting more expensive. Weather getting more unpredictable and severe. Maintenance getting more difficult. Done Great Loop, ICW 9 times, a winter in the Bahamas. (Cruised about 5,000 hours over last 12 years). Grandkids becoming teenagers and have competing interests. Opportunity to sell quickly at a gain. I'm almost ready to downsize, but my wife isn't.

Many of you probably know of Gordon Lightfoot's song about the fitz, recently another Canadian band took their turn at the song, generally I'm not a big fan of covers, but they kept enough of the original feel, but yet put their own stamp on it to make it a worthwhile listen.

Draakken that was awesome, thanks for posting!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom