Teak or no teak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrk

Veteran Member
We are in process of buying a new KK 60’.
What are experiences of KK owners about teak on aft deck or side deck?
What is recommended maintainence procedures? How often?
Have heard sometimes they do develop leaks. Trying decide if we should have teak floors in aft and side deck.

Hrk
—————-

Hi

Nordic tug installed teak side deck and cockpit zero screw connection, they are glued my tug. The boat is now +10 years old and has had snow / ice at -20 ° C- + 30 ° C and has stayed fine, naturally no leaks.

NBs

Last edited:
Reactions: hrk
If KK are offering teak decking options in a 60ft new build surely they would answer your questions.
Personally,I`m a fan of teak on covered side decks and cockpit, but not on the exposed foredeck. Glued teak should not leak. Some people let it go to grey, others apply treatments like Semco,others clean it with an abrasive teak cleaner and brush. Aggressive leaning causes wear,possibly hastening renewal.

For at least 20 years, now the teak used on decks has been attached solely with glue in production boats. This eliminates the penetration by screwing, that led to failures in some older boats. Without that potential to fail, the only downside of using teak has gone. Teak may be a little more money than other surfaces, but its non-skid properties and appearance still make it the best choice, IMHO.
My own boat is now 41 yrs old, with factory installed teak decks that have never failed. Maintenance consists, in the case of screwed decks like mine, of keeping up with exposures of the screw heads, removing and sealing them, and in the case of all other aspects of the teak on deck, clean with salt water and a soft brush.

I do think teak looks great. The question really is what dosnside if any is there for having one.

If you are not one to want teak, then do not get it. Requires work to maintain. You look at a boat polished for sale, it will not look like that in a year or two.
Me I like the teak look as opposed to the plastic look so will put more time into maintenance of it.
It is really that simple, you must want it to begin with and are prepared to put in the time, otherwise do not get it.

going with Teak!

KK is offering Teak floor for aft and side deck as standard. I like teak. I was worried about leakage after some years of usage. couple of responses convinced me that that is not an issue when teak is glued and not screwed in.
I am willing to do the maintenance so I guess it is going to be teak floors.

thanks for responses,

hrk

We had teak decks on our GB, a 1991, they were screwd down. Previous owners had not properly maintained the service, sanding it, I suspect cleaning it chemically. Both are bad ideas. Personally, I think the surface is attractive and a good deck covering, if properly maintained. But even the newer glee decks need to have the seams rechecked at some point and that is a PIA.
I do not want another teak deck. I equate them to a 22 year old drop dead gorgeous woman (sorry ladies not PC I know); pretty to look at but expensive and high maintenance.

KK is offering Teak floor for aft and side deck as standard. I like teak. I was worried about leakage after some years of usage. couple of responses convinced me that that is not an issue when teak is glued and not screwed in.
I am willing to do the maintenance so I guess it is going to be teak floors.

thanks for responses,

hrk

Why not a third option of maintenance-free synthetic teak?

To each his own.
For me, wood is decorative and belongs inside.

Ted

To each his own.
For me, wood is decorative and belongs inside.

Ted

But teak decking is also functional, not just decorative. I have to agree most other exterior wood is decorative, but it does look nice if you are willing to maintain it.

Last edited:
Teak! Though I would think longer about the fore peak but still probably get it there too. To be candid though, I outsource the maintenance. I have varnished teak cap rails too just to double down!

Last edited:
But teak decking is also functional, not just decorative. I have to agree most other exterior wood is decorative, but it does look nice if you are willing to maintain it.

Wood hulls chinked with cotton are also functional. The overwhelming consensus is that there are better choices for hulls and decks. When having a boat built, you get to choose what you want.

Ted

Regarding artificial teak, we tried that on current bot. It is hot in sun but the quality of the install is major factor. Our installer either used the wrong glue or just didn't use enough. I can rip up sections with my hands, and I lost a fair amount of strength 2 years ago. I am removing that now and no-skidding the cockpit. Our son, yacht sales, was originally favorably inclined to the man-made teak, but he said most owners tear it up as it doesn't stay down. Likely install issue, I am confident we have a glue that will work.

Wood hulls chinked with cotton are also functional. The overwhelming consensus is that there are better choices for hulls and decks. When having a boat built, you get to choose what you want.

Ted

I much prefer walking on teak than fiberglass and I find it less slippery and perhaps less hot. (More functional) Plus it looks better to me. (Non functional).

As you point out, it’s a tradeoff in personal preferences, how those are weighted versus greater maintenance. So no wrong decision for any informed individual.

To reply to a few previous posts.....

I've never had true teak decking. Soon after I bought my current boat, I had synthetic teak installed over some areas of white non-skid deck. Two big variables are the skill of the installer and the quality of the product you choose. There is a wide range on both of those. Mine looks and feels like real wood and is more functional than the non-skid. Better grip when wet and stays cleaner. Walk barefoot on a damp non-skid deck and you'll likely leave some footprints. It does get hot in the full sun, but so does everything except maybe bright white decking. How hot it gets depends on the color you choose. But it's easier on the eyes than glaring white in full sun and adds a lot to the overall appearance. I couldn't be happier with it and glad I had it installed.

I much prefer walking on teak than fiberglass and I find it less slippery and perhaps less hot. (More functional) Plus it looks better to me. (Non functional).

As you point out, it’s a tradeoff in personal preferences, how those are weighted versus greater maintenance. So no wrong decision for any informed individual.

IMO, Kiwigrip is the ultimate non-skid. If you do it yourself or supervise the installation, you can choose the level of non-skid you desire. When I did mine, we put a benign level on the swim platform and a very aggressive level on the foredeck, based on in what conditions I might be where.

I can certainly appreciate the appearance of teak decks, just as an all wood hull or lots of varnished exterior wood.....on somebody else's boat.

Btw, Kiwigrip grip comes in a variety of colors.

Ted

Last edited:
I’d forgo the teak if the decks have molded in non skid vs painted with non skid added.

We had teak sides and aft deck on our KK42 that we owned for 13 years. I had to recalk several seams. We also had wear areas where we boarded regularly.

I put the synthetic teak over molded non-skid and think it's much better. Just my opinion, no right or wrong. The product I chose had panels manufactured at the factory from templates made on my boat. All seams are thermally welded at the factory. Here's a decent article if anyone is interested.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/synthetic-teak-test

Soon after I bought my current boat, I had synthetic teak installed over some areas of white non-skid deck.

I put the synthetic teak over molded non-skid and think it's much better. Just my opinion, no right or wrong. The product I chose had panels manufactured at the factory from templates made on my boat. All seams are thermally welded at the factory.

Which one did you use? How long ago? And how is it wearing?

-Chris

After doing some research, I landed on Permateek. Seemed to be one of the best rated from several articles and reviews online. Still looks like new after 3-4 seasons. Thie link below is the local installer that did mine and there are pics of my boat on his site. There are many shades of colors and styles to choose from. You also help create the design in terms of leading and trailing borders, etc. Highly recommended from my experience. I also looked at Flexiteek and it didn't seem as durable or life-like and was more expensive.

https://www.northcountryboatworks.com/permateek

Last edited:
With a modern installation (glued down, not screwed down) you don’t need to worry about leaks. But teak can still be a lot of maintenance, depending on how you want it to look. I have been progressively getting rid of exterior teak because the maintenance is huge. We now have zero exterior wood, either bare or varnished. Much easier to maintain.

With a modern installation (glued down, not screwed down) you don’t need to worry about leaks. But teak can still be a lot of maintenance, depending on how you want it to look. I have been progressively getting rid of exterior teak because the maintenance is huge. We now have zero exterior wood, either bare or varnished. Much easier to maintain.

+1.

After doing some research, I landed on Permateek. Seemed to be one of the best rated from several articles and reviews online. Still looks like new after 3-4 seasons. Thie link below is the local installer that did mine and there are pics of my boat on his site. There are many shades of colors and styles to choose from. You also help create the design in terms of leading and trailing borders, etc. Highly recommended from my experience. I also looked at Flexiteek and it didn't seem as durable or life-like and was more expensive.

https://www.northcountryboatworks.com/permateek

We have permateak on our 60 and while I love the look, feel and the maintenance of it, it gets way too hot. Our color mimicks real teak in color, but even here in Seattle, it was unbearable. We had to spay it down every 10 min to avoid scorching our feet.

Our new 76 has real teak and omg what a difference. So soft to the feet, beautiful, and it does not get hot. Yes, much more maintenance but worth it. …at least for us :)

On fiberglass boat

Ok why not.
But never never on steel or alloy boat,

we had teak on 2 steel boat : removed
we had teak on one alloy boat removed

2 disadvantage with teak: hot in summer ( far more than a white deck), more weight in wrong place
2 advantage little more insulation in winter time and less noisy when ....raining:blush:
On our actual boat we removed all the teak and save more than 600kg at an average 2 m above wl

Good feedback Jade. I wonder what it is about the syn-teak that makes it so hot vs. wood? you would think similar colors would be just as hot, but I don't have the experience you do. I do have to agree that in full sun in the summer, walking barefoot can be a problem, so either some flip flops or spraying the decks can be needed. Like everything else, more compromises. For me and my boat, it's an inconvenience that I have to deal with sometimes, but still worth it to me. Some of it is in the pilothouse anyway, so no issue with sun there. I also don't have it on the foredeck, so if you had all of your decking done, it might be a bigger issue.

After doing some research, I landed on Permateek. Seemed to be one of the best rated from several articles and reviews online. Still looks like new after 3-4 seasons.

Thanks, useful.

We have permateak on our 60 and while I love the look, feel and the maintenance of it, it gets way too hot. Our color mimicks real teak in color, but even here in Seattle, it was unbearable. We had to spay it down every 10 min to avoid scorching our feet.

Equally useful, thanks for that, too.

-Chris

Teak is beautiful, and I never want it again. The only external teak on our current boat is the 7 rungs on the ladder to the flybridge ... why? Oh, and of course they need to be redone.

I see many of the newer boats are getting rid of the teak and holly interiors as well - going with more modern / brighter painted or covered surfaces. I like the new style personally.

We are in process of buying a new KK 60’.
What are experiences of KK owners about teak on aft deck or side deck?
What is recommended maintainence procedures? How often?
Have heard sometimes they do develop leaks. Trying decide if we should have teak floors in aft and side deck.

Hrk
—————-

Reading this old thread, do you mean the kk58 (loa 63’)? As far as I know kadey Krogen doesn’t build a 60.

I have a kk52 with teak side deck and cockpit and wouldn’t want the boat without it. Nice and cool in the hot sun and not slippery when wet. We keep it natural so maintenance is minimal, scrub twice per year.

Back
Top Bottom