SCUBA Diving Off a GB Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darcochris

Hi All- Was wondering if anyone has gone SCUBA off their GB classic and what their experience was? Difficult or easy? Modifications made to accomplish it, etc.

Thanks
Chris

We dove off our GB 36 Hawaiian Fisherman (Similar to a GB 36 classic, but without the aft trunk cabin, only 6 total built to my knowledge), and it was great. We were moored in Iroquois Lagoon off of Pearl Harbor, HI. Two years, and we were diving or fishing most every weekend. We didn't have a transom door, but it was pretty easy really. The key is to have a decent sized swim step. With a Classic, you don't have as much room as you have an aft cockpit instead of a wide open deck, but it would still be very doable for up to 4 divers. As mentioned though, a transom door would make it easier!

If each diver has a line tied to the swim platform, when you return to the boat, you take off all your gear in the water and attach it to the line. Climb on board unencumbered by your gear, and then deal with your gear from the platform. I could envision 2 people doing it. If there are 4 people it's probably easier to stagger each buddy set by 10 minutes.

I’m a diver. I have a 32 sedan. You need the space for all the gear in the aft. . The GB classic was never meant to be a dive boat. The OP describes one of the very few 36 sedans. Not an aft cabin. I can also say from experience that taking all your gear off in the water and tying it off is a disaster waiting to happen. As soon. As there is a swell or the boat is rocking all hell would break loose, not including the tanks etc. im not saying you can’t dive off the classic just saying that isn’t what they were designed for. I’m writing this in the v berth of my 32, a pretty tight place. That’s the trade off.

If there is a significant swell I think it would be far better to be climbing the ladder without your gear than with your gear. With a little air in your BC it will float away from the boat. A variation of this is one person takes off their gear and the other buddy holds it while they board the boat. Then they hand Diver 1's gear up. Then Diver 2 takes off their gear and passes it up to Diver 1 and climbs the ladder. It is an especially useful technique when diving with students or new divers who are unfamiliar with moving about with a 35 pound tank on their back on a rocking boat.

My 40 Albin aft trunk (guessing just like a classic)...was used to instruct diving for nearly 20 years. Even had a 3oA circuit rigged aft for a dive compressor.

The previous owner would take it to the Bahamas for 4 months or so and teach weekly classes off her.

Says somethibg there.

There are better diveboats, but as also a liveaboard...it worked for him and his students.

On/off my stock swim grid I would not consider it. With an inflatable tied along side to get on/off maybe would work better.

My N46 did not have a swim platform, stern door nor port and starboard cockpit doors. I corrected that problem. SMILE

My N46 did not have a swim platform, stern door nor port and starboard cockpit doors. I corrected that problem. SMILE

Similarly, a friend, an avid diver, bought a series of GBs, used them all as dive boats. As a concession to the aforementioned difficulties on the classics, he ordered his Europa 42 (47? likely, but I don't recall the year) without the teak transom, but for the same price got a transom door.

Back
Top Bottom