6k hours on a Nordhavn, what to expect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbinbi

Seriously considering a Nordhavn with a Luggar that has 6k hours on it. Coming from the sailing world where 6k on a yanmar would normally mean replacing it.

I have read that Detroits, Luggars can easily go 10k if properly maintained. But I would like to hear from those with some real world experience if this is true, do certain parts need a rebuild or overhaul, etc.

Thanks.

Which Lugger? John Deere engine?

Ted

Last edited:
Seriously considering a Nordhavn with a Luggar that has 6k hours on it. Coming from the sailing world where 6k on a yanmar would normally mean replacing it.

I have read that Detroits, Luggars can easily go 10k if properly maintained. But I would like to hear from those with some real world experience if this is true, do certain parts need a rebuild or overhaul, etc.

Thanks.

I wouldn't hesitate a bit if it's been properly maintained and used, the logs should tell volumes . Luggers are great motors, this one is a john deere block?. I know of a commercial boat with twin 600hp yanmar based motors that is being repowered at 13000 hours, not because there bad.. they are repowering with twin 750 hp cats for more speed. If your staying coastal keep them and have them checked out by a qualified tech. Going bluewater?, build an extensive spare parts kit for the bolt on stuff and keep running it.
Hollywood

If that motor has been maintained, it just got broke in. Using the motor and not just sitting at the dock is far better for it. And the previous owners probably took care of it far better than a dock queen, they had too.

Just get a good engine survey and read the logs. We kept pretty good, handwritten logs on our boat that we just sold. We think that was a selling point to the new owners.

Hope it all turns out for you, good luck!

If one is serious about purchasing a boat with almost any brand engine , a $100.00 spent on the workshop manual is worthwhile.

Only the mfg. can explain what "well maintained" actually is.

On a quick look I look over the engine room at the stuff carried.

Proper diesel oil , one brand , not a can of what is cheapest , is a start.

6K hrs itself is not an issue at all. Just do the normal diligence and engine check-out.

Back
Top Bottom