Remove mast support?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig_b

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Alpha One
Vessel Make
Chung HWA
Removed the mast from our PT-38 but not sure how the base it was mounted to should be removed.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20211024_153703.jpg
    20211024_153703.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20211024_153658.jpg
    20211024_153658.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 35
Likely bolted thru from below.
If it's not in your way or not a trip hazard, grind the studs flush and leave it.

Maybe the next owner will want it.
Cover it with a small box to convert to a seat.

Its smack dab in the middle of the upper deck. Big trip hazard.

I guess i will try to grind down the bolts and hack the wood apart.

Its smack dab in the middle of the upper deck. Big trip hazard.

I guess i will try to grind down the bolts and hack the wood apart.

That looks like a hacker installed it. Not original equipment, as the deck teak is already there, then that lump of scrap wood is laid on top, then the mast base. My bet is that under the lump of scrap you will find decking in good condition. Pull all the attaching screws, plug the screw holes in the teak with new plugs, clean up around the area and it will all blend in and you will be the only one to know where it was, within a year.

That looks like a hacker installed it. Not original equipment, as the deck teak is already there, then that lump of scrap wood is laid on top, then the mast base. My bet is that under the lump of scrap you will find decking in good condition. Pull all the attaching screws, plug the screw holes in the teak with new plugs, clean up around the area and it will all blend in and you will be the only one to know where it was, within a year.

Thats the big issue. There is no fasteners visable from the top.
The mast was original from the manufacturer and it probably is fastened from the inside. :(

Let us know what you find when you attack it from above.

The base on my Albin was installed on top of the teak decking. I'm sure that was factory done.

Looks pretty easy for a boat job. Cut the base vertically within a 1/4 inch of the deck in sections. Pry them up around the studs and then cut the studs down even with the deck.

So what i ended up doing was using a chisel i split the block in line with the studs. Then using the chisel lifted the block a little and used a crow bar to pry the block free.
Next step grind the studs flush and seal it all up.

Attachments

• 20211025_171508.jpg
    20211025_171508.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211025_171908.jpg
    20211025_171908.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
So what i ended up doing was using a chisel i split the block in line with the studs. Then using the chisel lifted the block a little and used a crow bar to pry the block free.

What is below? Any chance of accessing the other ends of those bolts? I nicer look when you are done if you can pull the bolts through to below, then caulk and plug the holes from above. Using teak plugs, either cut yourself or buy some ready made 1/2" plugs.

What is below? Any chance of accessing the other ends of those bolts? I nicer look when you are done if you can pull the bolts through to below, then caulk and plug the holes from above. Using teak plugs, either cut yourself or buy some ready made 1/2" plugs.

I would have to drop the ceiling to acess the studs from the bottom. Not worth the hassle to me.

I have to recaulk the teak anyways so i will just fill in the holes etc at the same time.

[emoji106] with the nuts off those bolts you might be able to tap the cut off bolts down below deck level a 1/8 or 1/4" so you can put a teak plug in the holes without the bolts showing on the interior.
Might look better than caulking.

Last edited:
[emoji106] with the nuts off those bolts you might be able to tap the cut off bolts down below deck level a 1/8 or 1/4" so you can put a teak plug in the holes without the bolts showing on the interior.
Might look better than caulking.

And if you are careful you can use a dremel and make a scewdriver slot in the cut off bolts and maybe screw them below flush.

Looks good so far!

"Next step grind the studs flush and seal it all up."

What is flush will depend on the surface condition.

With a hope of sealing thru bolt holes ,

I would use a piece of rubber under the sealing block , along with what ever sealant you like.

I ended up cutting the bolts flush and tapping them down below the deck.
Put in a few wood plugs and recaulked the area.
Sanded the area. Looks pretty good considering the mess that was originally there.

Attachments

• 20211123_121652.jpg
    20211123_121652.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211123_121659.jpg
    20211123_121659.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom