1975 Marshall Californian 42 LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miss Tee

Just picked her up last week.
Looking for information on her.

From what I have seen the 42 LRC was built in 1976. This one is a 1975, was Carver involved in the early Marshall vessels. Title has / Carver on it

It’s my understanding that Carver didn’t buy into Californian until 1986. I’m sure others will join this thread.

We almost bought a 42 Californian back in 2000. They have a nice layout. I also don’t think Carver was involved that far back but who knows what some clerk at DMV could have done to the title and registration.

We almost bought a 42 Californian back in 2000. They have a nice layout. I also don’t think Carver was involved that far back but who knows what some clerk at DMV could have done to the title and registration.

Yes that is probably the case.
Saw in another thread that it was
resold to Carver.
There are experts out here. She does have a great layout.

What engines does it have? We made an offer on one in Seattle but the owner wouldn’t negotiate at all and the boat needed quite a bit of work so we moved on.

Those should run forever. Have fun with it.

Welcome aboard, Miss Tee/Ollie B! To the best of my knowledge, Wellcraft was not involved in the construction of Californians as early as 1975 or 1977. My understanding is that Wellcraft wasn't involved in production until about 1980.

Some may have been built by Wellcraft on the west coast (I'm speculating here...) but most, if not all, of their builds were somewhere on the east coast. The company was sold to Wellcraft in 1982 according to this article and Marshall bought it back 3 years later. Carver bought the Californian line in 1987 and in late 1989, moved all builds to Rocky Point, North Carolina according to the article. I'm not sure how accurate those dates are, though. The Californian name was bought by Marshall/Navigator Boats years later and resurrected in the Navigator Californian 39 line.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9639&postcount=2

I had the opportunity to speak with Gil Marshall, son of Jule Marshall, when he was running Navigator Boats. Jule was on speaker phone at the next desk listening in and agreeing with what Gil had to say. In 1977, Gil was a 'bilge rat' working on my 1977 boat at his Dad's company, Marshall Boats. He said he was the kid who laid the wires and lines needed to plumb and wire the boats in those days. He also stated that since they really didn't know all the ins and outs of fiberglass layup, that these early hulls were built extra thick, "like tanks" he said.

Over the years of the company being sold then repurchased a couple of times, they lost track of all the records of the Hull ID Numbers (HIN) which changed format through the years with Wellcraft and Carver. He emphatically stated that one sure way to know if your boat was built in California by Marshall Boats is the first 3 letters of the HIN. All Marshall Boats Californians start with the letters "JCM" and stand for Jule Marshall built in California.

For example, My HIN is JCM034010277.

JCM= Jule Marshall in California
034= 34 ft LOA...(this was later truncated to 2 digits as no boats were built over 99 ft so 3 digits were not needed.)
01=Hull #1
02=(my guess is...) February build
77= build year is 1977.

I don't have a data plate on my vessel to verify hull #1 but of all the Californians I've come across, the 2 (or 3) digits following the model #/LOA represent the build number in that model's lineup. Also, I've never seen a HIN pattern like mine with the numbers immediately preceding the model year (last 2 digits) that was higher that 12 so this seems to support the theory of the build month followed by the build year.

There are many variations in HIN in other models built by Wellcraft and Carver, but the build year is typically easy to discern near the end of the HIN. Some variations have letters inserted into the middle of the HIN which may represent build number or month.

If you'll post up your HIN and a photo of your brass vessel number plate, we'll try to help you interpret what it means.

You're gonna LOVE that boat and those engines!! I have the Perkins 4.236s which are normally aspirated, 4-cylinder versions of the 6.354. They are very reliable, easy to work on and efficient.

Welcome to the club!!

A data point to confuse things. I have an '83 42 LRC with the HIN JCM42218M83A. The first 3 letters JCM would indicate she's a Jule Marshall California build. The dates would indicate she should be a Wellcraft build. I'm not looking to contradict you, I'm just confused.

I will agree, they are built like tanks. I had a hole drilled in the bottom for a new thru hull. It was almost 1 1/4" thick solid layup. The side where I had another hole drilled was 3/4" solid layup.
Welcome aboard, Miss Tee/Ollie B! To the best of my knowledge, Wellcraft was not involved in the construction of Californians as early as 1975 or 1977. My understanding is that Wellcraft wasn't involved in production until about 1980.

Some may have been built by Wellcraft on the west coast (I'm speculating here...) but most, if not all, of their builds were somewhere on the east coast. The company was sold to Wellcraft in 1982 according to this article and Marshall bought it back 3 years later. Carver bought the Californian line in 1987 and in late 1989, moved all builds to Rocky Point, North Carolina according to the article. I'm not sure how accurate those dates are, though. The Californian name was bought by Marshall/Navigator Boats years later and resurrected in the Navigator Californian 39 line.

I had the opportunity to speak with Gil Marshall, son of Jule Marshall, when he was running Navigator Boats. Jule was on speaker phone at the next desk listening in and agreeing with what Gil had to say. In 1977, Gil was a 'bilge rat' working on my 1977 boat at his Dad's company, Marshall Boats. He said he was the kid who laid the wires and lines needed to plumb and wire the boats in those days. He also stated that since they really didn't know all the ins and outs of fiberglass layup, that these early hulls were built extra thick, "like tanks" he said.

Over the years of the company being sold then repurchased a couple of times, they lost track of all the records of the Hull ID Numbers (HIN) which changed format through the years with Wellcraft and Carver. He emphatically stated that one sure way to know if your boat was built in California by Marshall Boats is the first 3 letters of the HIN. All Marshall Boats Californians start with the letters "JCM" and stand for Jule Marshall built in California.

034= 34 ft LOA...(this was later truncated to 2 digits as no boats were built over 99 ft so 3 digits were not needed.)

01=Hull #1

77= build year is 1977.

I don't have a data plate on my vessel to verify hull #1 but of all the Californians I've come across, the 2 (or 3) digits following the model #/LOA represent the build number in that model's lineup. Also, I've never seen a HIN pattern like mine with the numbers immediately preceding the model year (last 2 digits) that was higher that 12 so this seems to support the theory of the build month followed by the build year.

There are many variations in HIN in other models built by Wellcraft and Carver, but the build year is typically easy to discern near the end of the HIN. Some variations have letters inserted into the middle of the HIN which may represent build number or month.

If you'll post up your HIN and a photo of your brass vessel number plate, we'll try to help you interpret what it means.

You're gonna LOVE that boat and those engines!! I have the Perkins 4.236s which are normally aspirated, 4-cylinder versions of the 6.354. They are very reliable, easy to work on and efficient.

Welcome to the club!!

A data point to confuse things. I have an '83 42 LRC with the HIN JCM42218M83A. The first 3 letters JCM would indicate she's a Jule Marshall California build. The dates would indicate she should be a Wellcraft build. I'm not looking to contradict you, I'm just confused.

I will agree, they are built like tanks. I had a hole drilled in the bottom for a new thru hull. It was almost 1 1/4" thick solid layup. The side where I had another hole drilled was 3/4" solid layup.

That matches what I have suspected but cannot prove...that Wellcraft models were built in CA with Marshall before being moved east. It appears that they worked cooperatively with Marshall to learn the boats and the process while producing the product with the existing workforce.

I haven't cut into my hull yet but my foredeck plugs were about 2.5-3" thick with quality ply core when I installed a windlass.

I bet your boat is a 42, built in CA with Marshall, hull #218, built in Jan 1983. Am I close?

That matches what I have suspected but cannot prove...that Wellcraft models were built in CA with Marshall before being moved east. It appears that they worked cooperatively with Marshall to learn the boats and the process while producing the product with the existing workforce.

I haven't cut into my hull yet but my foredeck plugs were about 2.5-3" thick with quality ply core when I installed a windlass.

I bet your boat is a 42, built in CA with Marshall, hull #218, built in Jan 1983. Am I close?

The only things I can confirm are she's a 42 built in 83. Hull #218 and January make sense.

Thanks Brother...

01=Hull #1
77= build year is 1977.

Welcome to the club!!

Saw the 74 42 LRC In classifieds
Looks like the 74 was built 7 hulls before us.

On the very early ones were they built in 1973?
Still looking for my serial number. Plate on the block to order an overhaul kit for Starboard ticker.

Attachments

• 20211222_141600.jpg
    20211222_141600.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Brother...

01=Hull #1
77= build year is 1977.

Welcome to the club!!

Saw the 74 42 LRC In classifieds
Looks like the 74 was built 7 hulls before us.

On the very early ones were they built in 1973?
Still looking for my serial number. Plate on the block to order an overhaul kit for Starboard ticker.

Imagine that I figured out how to attach picts. I see the last blow we had tore up my upper bimini...lol

She is a work in progress down in the Fabulous Florida Keys

MissT
Tanqueray
Marathon FL

Well the kids not here.

How do you load picts on this site

MissT

Tanqueray

Marathon FL

How do you load picts on this site

It will depend upon if you are using a browser or the TF app.

To learn how to post pics using a browser go to the top level of the fourm. Find "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns". Find "How to Post Pictures".

Using the TF app on Android it's easy. At the bottom of a post you are writing find "Photos, Files", click on the little plus sign icon. On iPad may be different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom