Replacing Salon Window Tracks 2000 Eastbay 38

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eastbay38

Does anyone have experience replacing the tracks on an Eastbay?

They are the stainless tracks with felt.

I am wondering if I have to remove the windows, which is a much larger job.

If I do have to remove the windows - assuming that is done from the interior. Pop the bungs to remove the teak frame?

Any advice is super appreciated!

It’s my understanding that you remove the outside trim. On my ‘03’ 42EU the trim is finished. I’m told one has to locate the bungs, remove and unscrew. It’s a big job, to remove, replace tracks, reassemble and refinish.
If you do describe to move forward, I have over 1000’ of single window track as well as the vertical track. $40/ 8’ section & will cut to reduce shipping costs.

Does anyone have experience replacing the tracks on an Eastbay?

They are the stainless tracks with felt.

I am wondering if I have to remove the windows, which is a much larger job.

If I do have to remove the windows - assuming that is done from the interior. Pop the bungs to remove the teak frame?

Any advice is super appreciated!

I would try from the inside if there are no obvious clues. It is always easier to ensure a water tight result if the outside frame has not been disturbed.

Pop the bungs, easier than you think, remove the screws and cut the sealant with an exacto cutter to remove the inside frame. then all will be exposed so that you can remove the track with the glass in it.

In my own case, there wasn't adequate sealant between the track and the wood of the sill, which explained why the wood below was getting wet. Once all the damage is removed, it is easy to repair the wall with new teak plywood or other new finish material. Be very sure you use sealant (291 or 5200) when installing new track, in such a way that any water overflowing the track is directed to the outside, over the fibreglass. GBs all (don't know about East Bays, as they are scarce here in SW BC) have little drain pipes from the back corner of the track. Make sure those are clear and that water from the glass will get to them, rather than overflowing the inside of the track and running over the interior finish.

This job takes attention, but isn't difficult.

Ahoy cos I’m currently changing the tracks on our galley port window.I am interested in purchasing 2/8foot sections if still available. Tom Bender GB 42 Europa hull no# 1407 Elegant’e . E-mail benderdt@gmail.com thank you . sorry about the cos, cks.

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices. Dig around and find pictures of us replacing 22 windows and tracks.

Not for the faint of heart. I figure 20+ man hours per window.

Do not use 5200. Use white permatex urethane from HD. It is a sealant and adhesive, cleans with mineral spirits and you can paint it.

Any questions PM me.

Can't help with the specifics of window removal. Many are similar in construction but enough have sufficient differences to make my suggestions of questionable use.

I do though have one suggestion and that is to trash the SS tracks with the fuzzy JUNK and I mean JUNK. I had them, the SS tracks, and it did not take long for them to start giving trouble each time I redid them. I also found the plastic slip track would not stay put and I was constantly pushing them back until they jammed and broke.

I finally bought some Black UHMW plastic and with some carefull measurements and cutting I made my own track on my table saw.
guide.

I used black as the black makes the plastic long term UV , almost, proof.

The SS track MUST be taped on top of the UHMW in the same orientation as the SS would sit in the window frame or the holes will be reversed. Be carefull about that.

I will never use that SS track again.

A last comment. I learned to remove the top track first so the glass can be tipped out and lifted. If you start on the bottom track first there is a good chance of dropping the glass as both the glass and the track must be dealt with..

Reverse and install the bottom track and place the glass. THen replace the top track. Other wise again you will more likely drop the glass while discussing the merits of trying to deal with the track and the glass at the same time.

Hope this is of help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom