Need Vetus Windlass Parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking for cone clutch for a Vetus Alexander Horizontal Windlass Circa 1985. Would buy whole windlass for parts if necessary.

Attachments

• Vetus_Anchor_Wind.jpg
    Vetus_Anchor_Wind.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 12
What happened to the clutch? I had to trash my Vetus 2 years ago because the motor went and the repair shop was out of ideas.

I was saddened because the innards were all in great shape.

I had bought a new wildcat from a Vetus dealer out of the Ft Lauderdale area...did you try them?

Bad Foot Switch! Paid out chain on it's own until jammed up, stripped the gears on both sides of the clutch!

Lofrans , a major windlass mfgr., made those windlai for Vetus.
Try contacting a Lofrans dealer. They may even have some trade ins from when someone has upgraded to the next larger unit.

I had an even older one, '78, that was branded Vetus but it too was built by Lofrans.

Tried Ebay?

I bought a replacement clutch for a Vetus Alexander several years ago from Vetus. At the time they said there were 3 left in the world. Mine came from Holland. You might get lucky and find a small foundry that will cast a new one for you. Good luck, new windlasses are pricey, and probably won’t fit the footprint, meaning a lot of work to install.

2 years ago I replaced my Vetus with a Lofrens Tigres. Got a great deal on eBay for $1700 including shipping from Spain...nearly the same footprint. Had to modify chain hole a bit and a couple bolts holes.

While I was happy with the Vetus, the Tigres has 2X the performance...but admittedly the Vetus was tired.

If the contact relies on clutch material, ask your local motorcycle dealer where he gets clutches and brake shoes relined.

If the contact is metal to metal welding or braising might restore thickness.

Vetus Windlass Repair

Thanks for the input. I was able to purchase a replacement Gypsy from a Lofrans Tigress through IMTRA in New Bedford, Ma. Great people to work with. Only problem with fit is inboard side cone clutch is concave causing the gypsy to rub the windlass housing. Purchased SS flat washers to make up spacing. Outside cone clutch does not catch Key however seems ok.

Hi, is your Vetus Alexander windless for sale by any chance? Thank you, Rick

Click on his moniker and you can send him an email directly.
He likely is no longer looking at this.

Yes, I’ve tried eBay, as well as Sailorman and other marine salvage yards. I really like this windless and don’t want to have to resort to doing the glass work on the deck that will be needed with a different footprint. Thank you all so much for your reply’s and offering much needed advice and leads. If anyone runs across one of these units please give me a heads up. Many thanks.

Yes, I’ve tried eBay, as well as Sailorman and other marine salvage yards. I really like this windless and don’t want to have to resort to doing the glass work on the deck that will be needed with a different footprint. Thank you all so much for your reply’s and offering much needed advice and leads. If anyone runs across one of these units please give me a heads up. Many thanks.

As I posted in post #2, I did get parts from a place (tossed the windlass and paper work after the motor was declared un-rebuildable) in Ft Lauderdale a few years back.

You can call Vetus supprt directly for where the ship parts to the US to dealers as I couldn't find find one on their dealer locator.

There is a new Vetus Marine in Meritt Island, Fl. Might try them.

Back
Top Bottom