Anyone know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

READY2GO

Guru
Vessel Name
Walkabout
Vessel Make
1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
I have recently purchased a 1978 Marine Trader 36 DC. It has two sliding doors, but the locking hardware is missing. It looks as if it used the old skeleton key type of key. Does anybody know where I can get replacment hardware?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. R2G and congrats on your new boat. Your profile doesn't say where you are but on the old site there were some pinned bookmarks for marine consignment outlets which is where I think might be your only source of hardware. Yes, that era of MT used the skeleton key system. I don't know enough about sources for NEW hardware that could fit.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. R2G and congrats on your new boat. Your profile doesn't say where you are but on the old site there were some pinned bookmarks for marine consignment outlets which is where I think might be your only source of hardware. Yes, that era of MT used the skeleton key system. I don't know enough about sources for NEW hardware that could fit.

I would try your local locksmith.

Greetings,
Clarification please. Is it just the key or the whole latch/lock mechanism? If just the key, Mr. Conrad's suggestion is quite valid.

If it is just the key, take the entire lock to the locksmith, if you need the entire lock system, take the whole door down there. When I got Mahalo, it had one skeleton key so I took the key and they tried to make a copy. That didn't work so I took the whole lock down there. $400 later, I have four working keys.

As an alternative, the old Californian had a push in lock that pushed a peg against the door jam and worked much better than the 18th century technology of the skeleton key.

If it is just the key, take the entire lock to the locksmith, if you need the entire lock system, take the whole door down there. When I got Mahalo, it had one skeleton key so I took the key and they tried to make a copy. That didn't work so I took the whole lock down there. $400 later, I have four working keys.

As an alternative, the old Californian had a push in lock that pushed a peg against the door jam and worked much better than the 18th century technology of the skeleton key.

Since you said that the locking hardware is missing, you will need a locksmith to provide a new solution. If you can't reasonably remove the door and take it to the locksmith, he will need to make a housecall.

Unless you live in a very safe neighbourhood that is!

Patio sliding doors come in many quality levels , from house trailer to mansion.

Check with a local patio custom door supply.

FF

For clarification, I do not have any keys. One door does not have any hardware, and one door does have all the hardware just no key. I hadn't though of the simple answer of taking what I have to a locksmith. I will try that and see what happens.

Thank you for the link RT Firefly. They had alot of choices, but unfortunetly none that match size and function. The ones on my boat are locking only, there is no handle for oppening the door. The only time the latch is moved is when the key is turned. They did have alot of skeleton key hardware though.

Me too

I just bought a 78 MT 44. I am lucky enough that both door locks are there. However one seems to be stuck closed and locked and does not respond to the thumb turn.
As for your complete lockset that you do not have a key for, you can remove the cylinder and take it to the locksmith who can make a new key. If you look at the "side of the lock where the actual latch is and closes against the jamb you will see two small recessed screws. Remove the one that is on the side where the cylinder is, then you can unscrew the cylinder from the lock body. I used a piece of rubber and a channel lock plier to grab hold.
I think these locks were well made.

Try this
Brass Works, Delano Florida. 368-943-1211
they may be able to help, or recomend someone
Steve W

I have one that I will give you that I took off of my 77 when I upgraded the door lock. Send me your address off forum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom