1984 Californian 34 stock steering pump hynautic rebuild?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaRow

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
Californian 34
So upper helm is leaking through the steering wheel shaft and it feels clunky..
But I can not find any identification verification to look up a replacement or a rebuild kit option..

Its square and aluminum.. I don't know how to post a pic here... Anyone have a clue what pump it is?

My guess is Hynautic. I have an 83 Californian with Hynautic. Look for a reservoir with an air valve on top similar to a tire valve.

There's probably no reason to buy a new pump, they're expensive. A good hydraulic shop can overhaul it for you. I recommend you think about overhaul for both helm pumps, the ram and the autopilot pump. Also a complete drain, flush and refill of the system. While you're at it a close inspection of the hydraulic lines too. 35 yrs is a long time.

SeaStar supports Hynautic and will be able to answer your questions. I found them to be very helpful when I did a full steering system overhaul this winter.

Thanks! I definitely see Hynautic on the Reservoir and it is currently at 1/4 tank with 11 psi.

I will try to contact them tomorrow. My fear was a rebuild would take weeks to het back.

1/4 fluid level and 11 PSI are too low. 2/3 and 25 to 35 PSI are what's called for if memory serves.

Thanks all.
I sent the pump to seatech in San Diego, great turn around time under 270.00 for the rebuild. Seems the pump was previously rebuilt and they pjt one bearing in backwards.

Anyway, wasn't much air in the system... The top of my pump had two little allen screws one for each port/srbt..

Works like a champ!

Thank you everyone!

sea_row on IG

Back
Top Bottom