SSB Receiving advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
Ok so this is most probably going to qualify as the most stupid query of the day.
I have installed an old Codan 409 SSB in my boat purely to receive night time traffic as I am a chronic insomniac!!
The aerial is connected to a 4m single copper wire whip and all appears be functioning however my question is to test during the day when there appears to be no traffic, how do I go about this. Cheers

Look up a list of world wide ssb radio broadcasts, ie. BBC, VOA, there are dozens of stations that broadcast 24 hrs. You should be able to find a station time frequency specific list. I use us time broadcasts to check ssb. 5000,10000,15000,20000 every minute and time ticks every minute
Hollywood

... I use us time broadcasts to check ssb. 5000,10000,15000,20000 every minute and time ticks every minute
Hollywood

:thumb: Also, turn off your invertor if its on as well as the refrigerator/freezer and halogen lights. Any 12 VDC and some AC electrical noise will be picked up by your receiver. As a test, turn off all your AC and DC except the radio and try what Hollywood suggested. Then go back and start turning things on one at time. You'll see what interferes and what doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom