residential stove on trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazenza

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Rover
Vessel Make
CT 40 / Hartley Motor Sailor
I'm considering installng a home propane range on my trawler. I would like opinions and thoughts from others that have used residential stoves on their boats.

I have no propane experience. But, if I were in your shoes, the first check I would make would be with my insurance company. Are there certain standards/certifications that need to be met by a stove used in a marine environment in order for you to know that the insurance company will actually pay out the event of a fire or explosion?

Folks have installed them but care and work is required.

Fiddles to keep pots from sliding off , or at least mounts for springs to keep pots in place , as even anchored in a quiet cone , idiots run boats.

The range is always best against a bulkhead ,not the hull, as an errant pot going left or right is less hassle than one coming tight at you.

Many marine ranges have different style operating valves , the valve turns on to full high and rotating lowers the flame to an adjustable minimum . The minimum flame is one that wont blow out with a port or hatch open.

The propane solenoid should be hooked to both a mechanical timer , an off on switch ,and a light of some sort to remind you the range is o

A 2 hour timer is no big deal , even with a big dinner.

The oven should have a pilot light hooked with the thermostat for operation.

Can it be done , sure , but its a bit of a hassle.

Last edited:
Higher end yacht builders have been installing residential appliances for years. A popular choice has been dual-fuel ranges with propane hobs and electric oven. I recall seeing JemnAire ranges on many mid-sized Nordhavns. Custom fiddle racks around the range top were often fabricated.

Another option are ranges for RVs that are often less than half the price of a marine Force 10 of similar, though RV equipment is typically plain steel vs stainless. The safety gear on the range itself made for the US market (vs installation which can vary widely) is no different on a marine stove compared to either an RV or residential unit.

Note that the US has more strict safety standards that prevent unlit gas from flowing. Ranges made for other markets do not include the same safety standards (Mexico comes to mind)

Peter

I thought ABYC required that they have a thermocouple shutoff on each burner.

Newer RV ranges have them too.

Just a newer safety requirement 8f caring to follow ABYC

Of course it depends on the size of the boat. If you have the room, say on a 50 footer, go for it. When you get down to less length you probably won't have room in a "galley up" design and a "galley down" design you are running out of depth due to the slope of the hull.

pete

I'm considering installng a home propane range on my trawler. I would like opinions and thoughts from others that have used residential stoves on their boats.

We have a Viking on ours -- little sister of what we have at home. Fiddles made separately. Works fine, no complaints.

Thanks everyone. Our boat is a 40' CT Trawler and I gutted the salon and rebuilt from the ground up. I am at the pivot point of having to make a pick. Cost not really an issues so I could go Force 10 or a Dickinson propane or a household unit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom