MV Dirona Atlantic Crossing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IRENE

Guru
Vessel Name
Irene
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 40II
Dirona is returning to North America from Europe. Some “armchair cruising” is available via their generous website.

https://mvdirona.com/

Thanks for the tip Jeff! How are you guys doing? Were about ready to turn the boat over to SD Captains. They will take her up to Ft. Lauderdale for us. We are so ready for a boat break.
Hope all is well, way up there in the PNW.

Cheers

Thanks for the post. Hadn't visited their blog in awhile. But as I suspected, Covid restrictions have just made their European travel plans too complex. So they're heading back to the states.

Thanks for the post. Hadn't visited their blog in awhile. But as I suspected, Covid restrictions have just made their European travel plans too complex. So they're heading back to the states.

Shame is they are leaving Europe just as things open up. Unfortunately still subject to Schengen restrictions and may have used their time. Plus they'd already pulled away to the UK and prepared to leave.

Surprised to see Dirona for sale. Sounds like it will be at the Annapolis boat show. Visited their website and see they hired YachtTec to refresh and "de-automate" the boat to prepare it for sale. Not a lot of detail on what they plan next (not sure they know) but sounds like they'll be on land in the Seattle area for a spell.

Wonder why it’s being resold so soon? New owners maybe lost interest?

I'm not certain as the details are skinny but I don't think the original owners have sold it yet. It's just been listed after significant work. I presume it went down to South Florida to have YachtTec do the work then headed back up to Annapolis. If anyone has more or different details I'd love to hear.

They have a write up on their blog about ending their cruising and selling it. I read it at least 6 months ago so there may be more since then. They are a bad ass couple who live life to the fullest.

They sold it promptly after Yachtech did the work. It’s now for sale again. It’s honestly not an uncommon thing. I think a lot of people fall in love with the dream, but then learn the reality of boating and boat ownership. Also, people have life changes, often unexpected. I don’t know what the percentage is, but wouldn’t be surprised if 10-20% of larger boat sales don’t stay sold for more than 1-2 years.

I don’t know what the percentage is, but wouldn’t be surprised if 10-20% of larger boat sales don’t stay sold for more than 1-2 years.

The people I know who buy larger (say 55' +) boats, (avid fishermen, and YC members who have waited years for the seniority required for a larger boat, in both cases, having owned successively larger boats for years) are probably not representative of the typical buyer in that category (I can't even imagine who else is buyer larger boats, especially those not requiring a full time crew), but the people I know hold on to their boats for many years. And, although I know only a few of the other owners, my boat's sisterships come to market rarely, usually because of the death of an owner, though in one case, at least, the decision was a financial necessity.

They sold it promptly after Yachtech did the work. It’s now for sale again. It’s honestly not an uncommon thing. I think a lot of people fall in love with the dream, but then learn the reality of boating and boat ownership. Also, people have life changes, often unexpected. I don’t know what the percentage is, but wouldn’t be surprised if 10-20% of larger boat sales don’t stay sold for more than 1-2 years.

Thanks for the scoop TT. I, like others I'm sure, will look forward to what the Hamiltons get up to next. He made a passing reference to someone in a response on their web page along the lines of "if we were to get another Nordhavn if we'd probably go to a 68". I'm sure you could offer some advice on that if you haven't already.

The people I know who buy larger (say 55' +) boats, (avid fishermen, and YC members who have waited years for the seniority required for a larger boat, in both cases, having owned successively larger boats for years) are probably not representative of the typical buyer in that category (I can't even imagine who else is buyer larger boats, especially those not requiring a full time crew), but the people I know hold on to their boats for many years. And, although I know only a few of the other owners, my boat's sisterships come to market rarely, usually because of the death of an owner, though in one case, at least, the decision was a financial necessity.
When I was delivering a lot of Nordhavns, seemed pretty common for folks to buy a nicely fitted boat, cruise the hell out of it for 2-years, then sell and move on to something else (new grand kids were a common distraction). Sort of a Mission Accomplished thing. Admirable in my book.

Peter

When I was delivering a lot of Nordhavns, seemed pretty common for folks to buy a nicely fitted boat, cruise the hell out of it for 2-years, then sell and move on to something else (new grand kids were a common distraction). Sort of a Mission Accomplished thing. Admirable in my book.

Peter

Another phenomenon is wanting time for other types of travel. My wife and I recently took a year off to travel on the boat. During that time most other travel was on hold. Now we’re back to work, busier than ever, wondering how we find the time to use the boat and do other types of travel that we want to do. The cost of keeping the boat idle is easier to stomach than the guilt of having a boat that’s not being used enough!

Peter

That idea of living an adventure and then having an exit plan is enticing to wanna be explorers, and opens up a huge population segment to manufacturers of exploration yachts.

The reality is that many people have the dream of exploring, but a lot fewer have the financial resources to buy a million dollar boat, keep and maintain it, and still have a decent retirement, land based house, etc...

So you sell the dream of exploring for a couple years with an exit plan. A wanna be explorer can buy a late model or new exploration yacht, live the dream for a couple of years, and then use the proceeds from the sale to continue their retirement dreams.

If the person(s) were in the process of downsizing from the family home to a smaller house/condo perhaps in a different location, buying a boat just slows the transition down by the couple years they are exploring, and provides the experience of cruising with no long term commitment of resources.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom