Current Status of WA, OR, CALI, Mexico?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I had originally planned on departing Alaska right about now, this year, to travel south exploring. The trip is Alaska to warmer climates, ending up in the Sea of Cortez for the winter.

Covid made me re-think the plan and put it off, but now I'm again re-thinking things for this year. I could wrap things up and leave my home port of Seward in the next couple of months, and timing is important as it is a long ways to go, lots to explore and seasonal weather is a factor. The last thing I want to do is to beat my way down the Oregon coast in the rainy fall/early winter months. Harbor hopping is fun but walking around towns in pouring rain is not so much fun.

What is the current state of things in the Pacific Coast US states, and just asd important Mexico? I understand that this is changing almost daily.

What I'm looking for is what is open and what special rules are in place?
I am fully vaccinated but of course local rules apply.

What have you seen in your state, and Mexico presently?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Today, everything is open in WA and OR but there are capacity restrictions in common areas. However we’re are under threat of increased restrictions. My best guess is that other than being forced to wear a mask and doing take out for restaurant food you won’t notice any difference.

I don't think you'd have any issues in OR or WA with materially impactful COVID restrictions. However I would be mindful of stops at Native America communities and Neah Bay, WA is a key one. The Makah tribe https://makah.com/ runs the fuel dock and it's one of those places where it's the last place for fuel before jumping out in the Pacific. Currently it's closed to non-tribal folks however I believe you are still allowed to anchor in the bay.

You can get fuel in Port Angeles, WA which is 54 miles east of Neah Bay. Your logical hop would be from Neah Bay, WA to Westport, WA. It's about 155 miles from Port Angeles to Westport so you could easily make it on a fill up from Port Angeles to Neah Bay then onto Westport.

We visited a number of Oregon coastal towns in early April. The southern coast had tighter restrictions than the central coast because they were dealing with an outbreak. So restaurants were take out only at the time but pretty much everything was open. By the time you'd be down here I can't imagine COVID impacting your plans much.

Mexico is fully open and there are no conditions beyond what is normally required. The Sea of Cortez is in the hurricane zone but I am sure that you have familiarized yourself with related issues.

Mexico has been open since late last summer. Driving across the border in either direction is easy. Entering by boat into Ensenada is also normal.

Good luck.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom