Spurs Line Cutter Install anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

We are hoping/planning to have a Spurs Line cutter installed and prior to placing the order they need some measurements of which I don't have yet.

Wondering if by chance anybody may happen to have this info?

I know its a long shot as it would be much better to gather this while on the hard but no immediate plans to do that.

Probably could be done with my plastic calipers while in the water but just wondering ,,,,

Info-

2006 Mainship 40
Single Yanmar 6LY2AN-STP
2 Inch shaft
5 blade 26 x 20 RH

Attachments

• 20210403_214233.jpg
    20210403_214233.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190627_112534076_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190627_112534076_HDR.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 28
  • spurs.jpg
    spurs.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Spurs manufacturers what are called scissors type line cutters. These are 2 piece units that mount on the strut and shaft and act like scissors to cut lines.

SHAFT CUTTERS

What you have pictured is a disc type line cutter. There are several manufacturers of this type cutter but with the 2 serrated blades that looks like a Evolution Razor line cutter.

This is just one Razor Distributor, there are several throughout the Country

The Shaft Razor Cutter

Here's an excellent test of several types done by a magazine.

The Razor is easy to install, you do not have to remove the prop and being 1 piece it's simpler than the scissor type units.

:socool:

Yes, that picture is whats installed now. From my understanding it works kinda, so I want to remove and install the spurs.

Question: once the line is cut, will there be proper shaft lubrication.
None of the tests removed the line from the shaft.

Remember to tell your diver about your line cutter so had can avoid the sharp parts.

Last edited:
Yes, that picture is whats installed now. From my understanding it works kinda, so I want to remove and install the spurs.
Interesting. I just went the other direction - spurs to shark. Reasons I switched are first, the Yachting Monthly video posted above that shows both work well. Second, practical sailor reached a similar conclusion. But most importantly third: I had Spurs end up misaligned and bearings shot a couple times so they were non-operable for God knows how long. Couple that with you have to haul to install and it was a no-brainer for me to go with the split-blade version.

Like many things in boats, there are diehard proponents of many things. I got tired of Spurs after 20 years and went with the other style.

Good luck

Peter

Well I know from experience that Spurs work well. I know I have cut 3 lobster trap lines when I had the Spurs on my old 1978 Mainship I. I would hear a "thunk" then look back and see the buoy floating free. Never left anything on the shaft or around the prop so no problem with lubrication (I had a dripless packing so water was force fed from the engine).

When I bought the Albin I put a simple disk cutter (similar to the picture but no serrations). I have never know those to cut a line and I never wrapped one either with that boat. So I can't say how well they work.

Ditto Weeble's comments. Had Spurs, now have Sharks which are simpler and don't require an anode. Which work better? Don't know if either have saved my bacon without me knowing it. I'd guess both are effective in cutting line.

Back
Top Bottom