Freezer Plates (scrap)??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvmahal

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mahal
Vessel Make
23m Trawler
We took out 26 stainless plates around 9ft long maybe 30-40lbs each from a freezer room on our trawler. They seem to be in good condition. We had to get the gas removed because they where under pressure.

I was wondering if anyone still uses these big plates or if I should just sell them to scrap yard?

Its very nice stainless or maybe some one has some other ideas how to use them for something else?

Thanks

Probably a pretty special application or fitting area for the plates. I'd look at scrap for the quick and easy. I did a scrap run last week for lead in Jacksonville, FL and saw they were paying for $0.40/lb for 304 SS.

Wow, 9' long... thsts one heck of a freezer box!
We took out 26 stainless plates around 9ft long maybe 30-40lbs each from a freezer room on our trawler. They seem to be in good condition. We had to get the gas removed because they where under pressure.

I was wondering if anyone still uses these big plates or if I should just sell them to scrap yard?

Its very nice stainless or maybe some one has some other ideas how to use them for something else?

Thanks

Greetings,
Mr. jg. Cold beer. LOTS of cold beer.

iu

Unless you can find someone that can use the plates, they have only metal scrap value.

I’ll bet that a commercial fishing vessel salvage outfit would pay more than SS salvage value. Offer them up on the local Craigslist site, or go to a commercial fishing boat yard and see who is interested. They’d be thousands to have them custom fabricated.

Jim

I’ll bet that a commercial fishing vessel salvage outfit would pay more than SS salvage value. Offer them up on the local Craigslist site, or go to a commercial fishing boat yard and see who is interested. They’d be thousands to have them custom fabricated.

Jim
Just for a fridge and freezer box , 2 small hold plates are 4-5k. Just the plates. So yea +1 on trying to find a buyer.

Reading your initial post made my imagination fly far away somewhere on your trawler and imagine the amount of work and effort you had to put in to take out all these stainless plates of that huge trawler you have. The only thing I didn't quite get was the reason why you removed the stainless plates from the freezer room. I think there's a lot of potential buyers for your plates, but you must spread the word about it. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the sale of the stainless plates, but I wish you good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solar collector plates for hydronic heating???

"I get the original use but OP stated they had been evacuated as part of the removal."

In todays parlance "evacuated" usually means the refrigerant was removed , not just allowed to escape.

Back
Top Bottom