Abandoned boats in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boats will be abandoned for eternity. The problem is the expense. I had an older Catalina sailboat I threw a bit of money at, but ultimately it was futile. I didn't know what to do but I knew doing the right thing was going to cost many thousands of dollars I didn't have at the time. I seriously debating abandoning the boat. But I had a bit of good luck, I was contacted and offered $1 for the boat. I couldn't get to the guy fast enough to complete the deal. I knew he thought he was getting something for nothing, but I knew he was inheriting a big problem and hadn't thought it through.

And I was $1 richer.

In the east most boats are hauled for the winter, so they die on shore. Much easier for disposal when the time comes.

"Free anchorages" ain't free when the taxpayers have to pick up the tab for removing abandoned boats.

"Free anchorages" ain't free when the taxpayers have to pick up the tab for removing abandoned boats.

Did someone say they were? Or were you commenting on a post in another thread?

don't these things have serial numbers that can be traced back to the title owner?

pretty sure if I abandon a junker car in the middle of I-95 they'll track me down and make me pay.....

In some of the bad areas for abandoned boats wouldn't it be cheaper if the government had a piece of land and a travel lift and would just pull the boats and pile them up no charge?

Eventually we will come up with a good disposal alternative and the boats would be high and dry waiting to be reduced to whatever. Maybe full of mold or skunky water but at least not floating or sinking in a channel somewhere.

pete

Yup ...
Land and travel lift bought by government (us)

Ancora is right. We’re in the salvage business and not by choice. A non profit bus at that.

But what to do? Can’t do anything but buck up and see the money go.

Goes back to my usual song .. “too many people”.

We’ve had the same problem in Alaska. To a lesser extent ... fewer people. But we considered them a thing of beauty like an old rusty farm implement in one’s front yard. I’ve never understood the old farm stuff but boats (wood boats) were kinda beautiful.

But California and the BC mainland w Van is. included (the obvious part) are a clear problem directly related to ... TOO MANY PEOPLE.

Actually, my old boss got a tiny grant to clean up 5 abandoned, sunk boats in Cape May, NJ harbor maybe 10 years ago. The grant was only peanuts...barely covered his disposal costs I would bet....but the advertising/ public exposure was worth a ton of gold.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Here in San Diego it was common practice to grind off the HIN number, remove all traces of the owner and anchor the scow off the North Island Naval Base. Eventually they would wind up on the Navy beach and they (the taxpayers) got stuck with the disposal. The rules have been changed so that there must be someone on board at all times, thus mitigating the problem.

don't these things have serial numbers that can be traced back to the title owner?

pretty sure if I abandon a junker car in the middle of I-95 they'll track me down and make me pay.....
Often the title or registration is still under a previous owner. I know people who have sold their boats and been contacted years later by authorities when their boat was abandoned and they were the last registered owner.

Often the title or registration is still under a previous owner. I know people who have sold their boats and been contacted years later by authorities when their boat was abandoned and they were the last registered owner.

Same issue in WA. These boats are sold through back of napkin transactions or simply traded for goods/services. No paperwork is ever filed with the state. Some are just eventually stripped of anything of value and abandoned. Then it becomes a public problem. As a hazard to navigation and/or our tax money has to be used to fund the vessel removal programs.

-tozz

So what about marine (recreational) junk yards? Boat parts heaven....

Marine junkyards.
Actually there are such businesses. But even those are slowly going by the wayside. In Vancouver, Saanich, VIctoria, Steveston to speak of my general area there WERE a number of them but most are now gone.
There were several around Seattle and Bellingham area that are now gone.
No one wants the old parts. Most owners of new boats do not have the skills to make use of some of these things. They never grew up being handy persons.
Obviously there is still that type of person around but not as many so the used boat parts business can't make a living.
A lot of it was used by the small boat fishing industry to keep the boat going and we have all seen what has happened to that industry.

I search these places out. I actually have a very small one in GIbsons, Bitter End, but were it not for the new parts/supplies business end he could not keep going.
Both he and the previous owner like the used parts end but need the new parts end to survive.

Actually my boat still has most of the hardware installed on it new so I don't need much and since it is 44 yrs old it is almost a repository of old stuff most of which no one would want any longer.

Electronics are usually not highly resellable. Even I usually won't buy used electronics unless so cheap I can afford to toss it if it does not work out.
I have repaired SOME pieces in the past but it is not a hobby for me so although I used to understand a lot/some of it, it has left me behind which I am fine with now.

ANyway, enough.

Marine junkyards.
Actually there are such businesses. But even those are slowly going by the wayside. In Vancouver, Saanich, VIctoria, Steveston to speak of my general area there WERE a number of them but most are now gone.
There were several around Seattle and Bellingham area that are now gone.
No one wants the old parts. Most owners of new boats do not have the skills to make use of some of these things. They never grew up being handy persons.
Obviously there is still that type of person around but not as many so the used boat parts business can't make a living.
A lot of it was used by the small boat fishing industry to keep the boat going and we have all seen what has happened to that industry.

I search these places out. I actually have a very small one in GIbsons, Bitter End, but were it not for the new parts/supplies business end he could not keep going.
Both he and the previous owner like the used parts end but need the new parts end to survive.

Actually my boat still has most of the hardware installed on it new so I don't need much and since it is 44 yrs old it is almost a repository of old stuff most of which no one would want any longer.

Electronics are usually not highly resellable. Even I usually won't buy used electronics unless so cheap I can afford to toss it if it does not work out.
I have repaired SOME pieces in the past but it is not a hobby for me so although I used to understand a lot/some of it, it has left me behind which I am fine with now.

ANyway, enough.
Sad. I love junkyards. [emoji180]

ASD .. Yes,
I remember a yard just east of Marysville Wa that had acres of old cars. Old Packards from the mid 30’s Lincoln Zephyrs and many others. One could walk around freely as long as one liked.
Another yard not so well known on Sand Point Way in NE Seattle had older cars than that. Hudsons, Hupmobiles and even a 6cyl air cooled Franklin.

And when we were 13 or so we (even w some girls ((near Lake Union in Seattle)) usta have kind-of a social hour sitting in numerous cars pretending that we owned them. I remember it clearly.

ASD .. Yes,
I remember a yard just east of Marysville Wa that had acres of old cars. Old Packards from the mid 30’s Lincoln Zephyrs and many others. One could walk around freely as long as one liked.
Another yard not so well known on Sand Point Way in NE Seattle had older cars than that. Hudsons, Hupmobiles and even a 6cyl air cooled Franklin.

And when we were 13 or so we (even w some girls ((near Lake Union in Seattle)) usta have kind-of a social hour sitting in numerous cars pretending that we owned them. I remember it clearly.
Is that really cool!! I had a 64.5 mustang hard top, 68 Z-28 with the original 302 duel 4-barrels and 69 firebird. The one with the tach in the hood. Junk yards were heaven to a 16 year old and cheap parts.

Oh.. those were almost new when I was in post #18 above.
I was talk’in mid-to late 30’s cars.
This was my favorite.

But w a boat junkyard .. what to do w all the old fiberglass?

Attachments

• 850546CB-0276-48C1-A505-CF281847879C.jpg
    850546CB-0276-48C1-A505-CF281847879C.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
"But w a boat junkyard .. what to do w all the old fiberglass?"

Shred it into small pieces and either bury them or or burn them.

In my fantasy we would put up a cash ($1 million?) prize and let companies and kolleges do the research for the prize , and bragging rights.

Should work to get rid of ocean plastic too.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. FF. "Should work to get rid of ocean plastic too.". I think you'd have to put up a bit more than a mil'. Probably TRILLIONS and it would have to be a world effort. Good thought, though...

I know there are outfits which strip and grind glass boats. They need to be pretty well stripped though. Aluminum and stainless rub rails, heavy brass or chromed fittings, stanchions, steering gear, etc raise serious problems with the shredders. And mixed trash is always more difficult to dispose of.

Imagine for a minute that you were charged with removing everything which was not fiberglass from your boat. Massive undertaking.

pete

Last time I visited Port Browning on Pender Island, there were 4 or 5 mid-size sailboats stranded on the beach. Stripped of anything remotely valuable. Some of them were nice looking hulls. Easy to see how it happened. While a nice anchorage in the summer, the bay is open to the winter storms from the southeast. Once on the beach without insurance, it is all down hill from there.

From this week's LNM: SOCAL-SAN DIEGO- SUBMERGED OBJECT
An anchored 16' center console pleasure craft has capsized and remains afloat 600 yards south of the Hotel Del Coronado. No distress is associated with this wreck.

Just another boater getting rid of a vessel in a "free" anchorage with the removal expense falling on the taxpayers.

So what scares me is when there is a report of a container ship looses containers.

Recycling old fibreglass boats

"But w a boat junkyard .. what to do w all the old fiberglass?"

Shred it into small pieces and either bury them or or burn them.

In my fantasy we would put up a cash ($1 million?) prize and let companies and kolleges do the research for the prize , and bragging rights.

Should work to get rid of ocean plastic too.

Someone going down this road already - see this:-
https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2020/november/fiberglass-recycling

Hopefully this or something similar will work out.

Sure they're "hauled for the winter" but in many cases they sit in a boat yard piling up storage fees. If you're lucky enough to have a friend to take it, or one of the kids at the yard; lucky you. I can think of over a dozen sailboats at the yard I use in midcoast Maine that have been in the same spot for well over five years, over $2,000 a year each and every year. We, fortunately, had an eager relative who couldn't wait to take possession, lucky us.

I've been lucky and found a younger person who lept at the great deal we offered them.

Boat disposal

Sad. I love junkyards. [emoji180]
I have been disposing derelict vessels for a few years now. Have been working with the Port of Aancortes and have been approached by the DNR to help remove the 300 vessels that they have to dispose of. we are working on a system to grind them up and sell the "chips" as fuel for some industrial plants. The vessels that I have been disposing have been ranging from 30-60' not the small ones that just end up in parking lots or along side dirt roads. it is not expensive to do and doesn't require a lot of time. we have about 6 so far for this season. If somebody has a boat to dispose of they can let me know and i can see if we can help them out. The easiest ones are the ones that have been gutted but we usually still have tanks to deal with.

So what scares me is when there is a report of a container ship looses containers.

This what I turned up, containers lost at sea:

"Analysis of the Nine Year Trends
Upon review of the results of the nine year period (2008-2016) surveyed, the WSC estimates
that there were on average 568 containers lost at sea each year, not counting catastrophic events,
and on average a total of 1,582 containers lost at sea each year including catastrophic events. On
average, 64% of containers lost during the last decade were attributed to a catastrophic event.
The data consistently demonstrates that container losses in any particular year can vary
quite substantially based on differences in weather and other unusual events. The data also
consistently shows that the majority of containers lost at sea result from catastrophic events. For
example, in 2013, there was a total loss of 5,578 containers – 77% of which occurred with the
sinking of the MOL Comfort in the Indian Ocean. The tragic total loss of vessel El Faro occurred two
years later in 2015. All containers on the El Faro were lost and this event alone accounted for
almost 43% of the total containers lost into the sea in 2015

https://www.worldshipping.org/indus...s_Lost_at_Sea_-_2017_Update_FINAL_July_10.pdf

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom