Near shore internet, data, communication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Palfrey

Hi All,
New to this forum. Interested to hear members’ experience with systems/equipment to facilitate internet access for coastal cruising particularly when cell signal strength is sub-optimal. Cruising area is NE USA.
Thanks,
John Palfrey
M/V Reunion

We use a cradlepoint AER1600 router to provide vessel wide network access.

In that router we have two modems, each with a sim to a different carrier.

If out of cellular range we automatically switch to a 2 mbps satellite service we buy through KVH. This is expensive so we block streaming over the satellite connection.

It's always a good idea to search the existing threads for relevant information posted by users over the years. Lots of good info out there on this forum. The search feature will help find it.

Hi John, welcome to the forum. I'm an east coast cruiser, and have been using a cellular hotspot from RVdatasat. It's based on T-Mobile service, so there are areas that are underserved, but I've had good service more than 75% of the places I've travelled.

When I signed up, the deal was unlimited, unthrottled data at LTE speed for 100 bucks a month. They send you a Peplink hotspot, you plug it in, and bob's your uncle.

I've been happy with their service.

In Australia, $40 android phone as a hotspot
Worked perfectly for 4.5 years full time coastal liveaboard, good for 15nm out

100GB 4G data, unlimited calls and text, $28/mth

Last edited:
Hi John, welcome to the forum. I'm an east coast cruiser, and have been using a cellular hotspot from RVdatasat. It's based on T-Mobile service, so there are areas that are underserved, but I've had good service more than 75% of the places I've travelled.

When I signed up, the deal was unlimited, unthrottled data at LTE speed for 100 bucks a month. They send you a Peplink hotspot, you plug it in, and bob's your uncle.

I've been happy with their service.

This is similar to what I'm planning, although I'll likely start out with a cheaper data plan. T-Mobile has one that's 100GB for $50/month. For us, that'll likely be plenty, especially if we're sometimes in places with wifi.

Equipment-wise, I'm looking at the slightly fancier Pepwave Max Transit Cat 18, as it's got support for more LTE bands, so I'm more likely to have good signal in questionable places (and can add bigger antennas if needed). And it's pretty futureproof, so I should have no reason to replace it for quite a few years. For pulling in marina wifi, I'll probably add a Mikrotik Groove.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom