Mark I owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lokeefe

Vessel Name
Miss Miranda
Vessel Make
Nordhavn N50
Are there any other Ocean Alexander Mark I owners out there?

I am the new owner of a 1979 OA Mk I, and new to the forum (have been lurking for a while).

Larry

Hi Larry
I'm about to become one. Mine is 1981, currently in the general Seattle area but I will ship back to Australia at some stage during 2012. Hopefully there will be a few owners join in to contribute, as there area bound to be some tips and hints to share. I believe there were 98 Mk 1's built, and I think it was Alexander Chueh's first model. Some of the more recent models have re-instated a few of the classic style aspects that Ed Monk designed into the Mk 1.

Brian

-- Edited by Insequent on Saturday 17th of March 2012 04:53:31 PM

Brian-

Whereabouts in the Seattle area?
I will be in Shilshole as of tomorrow. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to chat about our respective Mk Is.

Congratulations.

Larry - PM about to be sent - Brian

Mk 1 Hull....Flushdeck Configuration

Hi: a small number (maybe 15) Flushdeck Motor Yachts were also made using the Mk 1 hull, from 1981 to 1985. Around 5-7 of these are in Australia; I am aware of 2 in the Med. Here is a photo of mine, Aquabelle (1985) which has had both a boarding platform extension (originally a vertical transom with a steep ladder of a duckboard) and also a hardtop (originally a bimini). These motor yachts have a full-beam owner's stateroom aft with head, accessed via a companionway on the Port side of the saloon, which also gives access to the full-height walk-in engine room. The fwd accommodations comprise a guest stateroom mid-ships with dedicated head; a V-berth cabin in the bow; a day head/shower; and a laundry. Really a great passagemaker and/or liveaboard design.

Attachments

• IMG_5013.jpg
    IMG_5013.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
I've seen one of these...

Hi: a small number (maybe 15) Flushdeck Motor Yachts were also made using the Mk 1 hull, from 1981 to 1985. Around 5-7 of these are in Australia; I am aware of 2 in the Med. Here is a photo of mine, Aquabelle (1985) which has had both a boarding platform extension (originally a vertical transom with a steep ladder of a duckboard) and also a hardtop (originally a bimini). These motor yachts have a full-beam owner's stateroom aft with head, accessed via a companionway on the Port side of the saloon, which also gives access to the full-height walk-in engine room. The fwd accommodations comprise a guest stateroom mid-ships with dedicated head; a V-berth cabin in the bow; a day head/shower; and a laundry. Really a great passagemaker and/or liveaboard design.

Aquabelle, I've been away from the forum for quite a while. Thanks for the reply! I saw one of these at a Mk I Rendezvous held in Seattle last September. It was owned by a couple from Victoria, BC. Very interesting configuration.

I think so, too

One of the great cruising boats of all time!

Well, Walt, I agree... but I may be a bit biased. We cruised ours for seven weeks this past summer up as far as the Broughtons in BC. No problems, very comfortable, and plenty of space. We especially enjoyed hanging out on the boat deck when the tender was in the water (which was most of the time, since we towed it a lot).

Larry, interesting to hear your use of the boat deck, even in the PNW. My kids are going to love that area when I'm back in Queensland.

As part of my refit, which I'll post some info/photos on soon, I am going to add some removable railing to the boat deck. It is a huge area without the dinghy on it, but the PO removed quite a bit of railing to facilitate launch/retrieval of the 14 ft RIB. As a result its a bit scary on the port quarter.

I had to repair about 15% of the boat deck core. All issues arose from fixtures incorrectly installed, including the 3 inboard stanchion supports which had the longest period of water ingress. For those who aren't aware, if you want to fasten to cored deck then do it in stages: first drill an oversize hole, second fill with epoxy putty, third drill small hole into cured epoxy for self tapping (or threaded) screw. This way you will avoid creating a 'sinkhole' for water to saturate your core.

The pic shows the area of the one Stbd stanchion that had an inboard support. Most of the stanchions are simply fixed through the teak toerail, but ones with an additional inboard brace had water issues. The fixings for it were in the middle of the black area, which is wringing wet and rotten balsa. Part of the surrounding area was damp, so that was also removed.

Second pic is shows foam filled repair before fairing. Repair needed to extend under the teak toe rail in both directions to ensure all of the damp balsa came out.

Attachments

• IMG_0414 sml.jpg
    IMG_0414 sml.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Welcome back Larry, Been a long time since I have seen you post on any of the forums. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Larry, interesting to hear your use of the boat deck, even in the PNW. My kids are going to love that area when I'm back in Queensland.

As part of my refit, which I'll post some info/photos on soon, I am going to add some removable railing to the boat deck. It is a huge area without the dinghy on it, but the PO removed quite a bit of railing to facilitate launch/retrieval of the 14 ft RIB. As a result its a bit scary on the port quarter.

I had to repair about 15% of the boat deck core. All issues arose from fixtures incorrectly installed, including the 3 inboard stanchion supports which had the longest period of water ingress. For those who aren't aware, if you want to fasten to cored deck then do it in stages: first drill an oversize hole, second fill with epoxy putty, third drill small hole into cured epoxy for self tapping (or threaded) screw. This way you will avoid creating a 'sinkhole' for water to saturate your core.

The pic shows the area of the one Stbd stanchion that had an inboard support. Most of the stanchions are simply fixed through the teak toerail, but ones with an additional inboard brace had water issues. The fixings for it were in the middle of the black area, which is wringing wet and rotten balsa. Part of the surrounding area was damp, so that was also removed.

Second pic is shows foam filled repair before fairing. Repair needed to extend under the teak toe rail in both directions to ensure all of the damp balsa came out.

Ouch! That looks painful. But good that the work is getting done properly. That will be one problem permanently solved for you. My boat had a custom davit installed at the port aft corner of the cabin. My 13.5 ft caribe can go straight out off the stern and swing around to the port side, such that there is only a gap of the width of the tender (4-5 ft, I'd guess) in the rail off the stern. I have a lifeline that goes across the gap when the tender is in the water.

If I recall, your boat is in Port Townsend. May I ask who is doing the refit work, and your level of satisfaction? If you don't want to post the info, feel free to PM.

Welcome back Larry, Been a long time since I have seen you post on any of the forums. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Thank you, Pat. It has been a while. We are back, and all is well. I hope we manage to meet up sometime this season!

Thank you, Pat. It has been a while. We are back, and all is well. I hope we manage to meet up sometime this season!

Not sure what your 4th of July plans are, but the IBoatNW crew are meeting at Everett this year.

Ouch! That looks painful. But good that the work is getting done properly. That will be one problem permanently solved for you. My boat had a custom davit installed at the port aft corner of the cabin. My 13.5 ft caribe can go straight out off the stern and swing around to the port side, such that there is only a gap of the width of the tender (4-5 ft, I'd guess) in the rail off the stern. I have a lifeline that goes across the gap when the tender is in the water.

If I recall, your boat is in Port Townsend. May I ask who is doing the refit work, and your level of satisfaction? If you don't want to post the info, feel free to PM.

Larry
I'm at the Port Townsend Shipwright's CoOperative. The Naiad folks recommended them to me initially, and the stabilizer instal and some electrical work was all that was on the list initially. During that work I got to know them, and when leaking fuel tanks were discovered I had no hesitation in adding to the scope of work.

There are quite a few co-owners (a dozen? 20?) and then employees as well. They cover the full range of boat needs between them, in-house. But where using a contractor is more cost-effective they bring them in. They always have work on the go. While I've been there, I've met folks from Alaska to California who have brought their boats there, including Commercial guys. This says something for their reputation. A yard is a yard - it costs! But I'm very happy with the quality of the work and dealing with the people there.

Port Townsend boat yard is owner-friendly in terms of doing your own work. And the CoOp folks are happy for owners to do as much of the work themselves as is practical. I've focussed my efforts on external teak, stripping back to bare wood and a few other things. It has kept me busy, and on-hand for quick consultation on the myriad of little decisions that boat work entails.

Last edited:
Mk 1 Owner

Hi Larry, I'm a recent OA Mk 1 owner as well. My 1981 Mk1 has the Ed Monk designed 5 foot extension. I'm a past sailor and switched to the dark side as my sailing friends would say. We sail the San Juan Islands and points north. We are extremely happy with our purchase and we are staying warm!

Hi Larry, I'm a recent OA Mk 1 owner as well. My 1981 Mk1 has the Ed Monk designed 5 foot extension. I'm a past sailor and switched to the dark side as my sailing friends would say. We sail the San Juan Islands and points north. We are extremely happy with our purchase and we are staying warm!

Hi, Randy-

Looking at today's email about the Mark I rendezvous in Port Townsend, it seems that you will be right next to us. I look forward to meeting you at the rendezvous and having a chance to take a peek around each other's boats. Should be a fun weekend. We attended our first one last September in Seattle and really enjoyed it. Before then we will be heading up north to Desolation Sound starting Aug 17th, returning Labor Day. Maybe we'll see you out and about.

Larry

That's great. Should be fun. I didn't get an email yet maybe they missed sending me the notice. I know I'm on Redmond's list, is that where the message came from? We went to Desolation in our sailboat and plan on heading up again in our new boat but not until next year. Sorry for my delay with this message as I was at Sucia and didn't have good coverage. I'm going to install a cellular repeater in the boat as soon as I can get to it. Look forward to meeting you as well.

Back
Top Bottom