Interior Wood Refinish 1984

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janest

I have a 1984 Mainship 40 Aft Cabin.

The interior wood is beat up, water stained, etc.

Anyone know how it was originally finished?

Anyone ever cleaned/refinished/whatever this Mainship model before?

Any help much appreciated.

(Just bought some Murphy’s soap oil. Will try that soon(ish). )

Thanks,
John

I would stay away from the Murphy's soap and Liquid Gold and Lemon oil until after you refinish. Once you apply these oils and waxes they must be complete removed before varnish will stick.

Floors will require sanding then poly varnish. Water stained trim may be able to be steel wooled then varnished.

pete

John, My 2003 pilot 30 is finished using lacquer over a maple stain. I don't know how far back Mainship used lacquer. Looks like the best approach with this is to take as much of the old finish off with lacquer thinner as possible, light sanding with 300 or fine steel wool, touch up the stain as required, couple coats of anti blush and a top coat of catalized polyurethane. You must stick to temp and humidity limits, and let the coats dry thoroughly. You can test a small area by sanding very lightly, wipe with a damp cloth - if it immediately turns white or cloudy - but clears up quickly when it dries - its a lacquer finish.

I have a 1984 Mainship 40 Aft Cabin.

The interior wood is beat up, water stained, etc.

Anyone know how it was originally finished?

Anyone ever cleaned/refinished/whatever this Mainship model before?

Any help much appreciated.

(Just bought some Murphy’s soap oil. Will try that soon(ish). )

Thanks,
John
As a previous sailor owning many boats with a lot of teak and other woods (exterior and interior) you must first strip the wood back to un varnished and stain free by multiple layers of sanding - ending up with a 320 grit prior to resealing and 400 between coats. I would not recommend Grocery store solutions for the wood on a boat, Original manufacturer product is irrelevant when starting with fresh wood. Petit's makes some great product for interior finishes. I use the Matte as I like the Result. completely user preferred no right or wrong. Do not use Cetol or other exterior products on interior woods, Oh and find the cause of the water intrusion before you start or you will be re doing it next year. Cheers https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10005|10006

Back
Top Bottom