Packing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selidster

Vessel Name
Lemonade
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 016
The boats been on the hard since June last year. I'm changing the stuffing box, but should I look at the rudder as well? I dont have any documentation so I'm not sure what I should be tackling. I'm thinking there is packing on it as well?

TIA
Scott
KK42-016
MTOA #7000

Are they leaking? Don't fix something if it ain't broke.

The rudder doesn’t turn anywhere nearly as fast as a prop shaft so they don’t wear much. I would try it and see if it leaks and if it does, tighten up the nut a bit. You can usually repack them with the boat in the water as they don’t usually leak as much as a prop shaft stuffing box when you open them in the water. But if you are looking for things to do go ahead and repack it. I like Duramax packing It isn’t cheap but it lasts almost forever.

Not fixing things that are not broken is certainly applicable in many instances, but when the boat is on the hard, many things like rudder packings are good to take care of if there is any doubt. I have changed rudder and shaft packings in the water, but why not do it when you are out of the water and have all the time to pull it apart to check for and purchase the newest and best packing on the market, especially if you have no documentation on when it was last replaced.

+1 for Rich. It’s cheap enough. If unknown, do it. Probably never have to worry about it again. Also a good time to check lower bushing wear etc. as your boat is old like mine ��

If in doubt, I'd just do it. It takes a bit of time, but packing is cheap.

On my own boat, I wouldn't hesitate to do shaft packing in the water. Rudder packing I'd only do in water in an emergency. The access sucks (you're basically laying across a fuel tank upside-down in a small space and working mostly blind). And there's barely enough room to get the packing nuts off without dropping the rudders, so it's not quick and easy like shaft packing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom