Bronze fittings alloys, what's safe below water line ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Romanp

Vessel Make
Sea Ray 390
Hello All,
I'm trying to retrofit my boat with a freshwater flush system. Currently, I have 2inch PERCO bronze strainers connected to a hose. I'm thinking to add reducing tee with 2 x 2 x 3/4, add 3/4 ball valve with a quick connect

My question is about what alloy is safe for use below the waterline? I've read articles on BoatUS which refer to some marine-grade alloys, but it's nearly impossible to find C65500 or C95400 alloys.

To avoid buying something which doesn't work with saltwater and will sink my boat I seek advice from the experts.

Here are some options I'm looking at, please let me know if that will work or maybe recommend some options?

https://www.ferguson.com/product/le...ded-bronze-reducing-tee-l310434nl/_/R-5077533

https://www.jmesales.com/smith-coop...hHExQwOpC11SxuIZvU5LvzwwuQZCpOt0aAuaXEALw_wcB

The one made by Smith Cooper only has about 5% zinc. It is 85% copper. It should last many years in salt water. I would use it.

Are you making a flush for the engine?

The one made by Smith Cooper only has about 5% zinc. It is 85% copper. It should last many years in salt water. I would use it.

Are you making a flush for the engine?

Yep, considering the price of parts for cummins diesels, I think it's a good thing to have

There is 85-5-5-5 bronze which is as said 85% Cu [copper], then 5% Pb [lead], then 5% Zn, then 5% Sn [tin]

It should be a good alloy . The Smith Cooper appears to use what I call 85-5-5-5 bronze.
Lead, copper and tin are highly resistant. THere is so little zinc it has no great effect.

Other wise I would go by the mfgr. Groco , Buck ALgonquin, Spartan Marine to use good alloys.

You could also ask the mfgrs. above about the alloys.

https://www.anchorbronze.com/c83600?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiruxk4Cx7QIVxh6tBh0FfAPUEAAYAiAAEgLwHfD_BwE

I haven’t used one but Groco makes something called an engine flush kit. 2” NPT on one end, hose barb on the other and a port in the middle accept a 3/4” hose. Designed for that purpose and fewer parts to source.

Buck Algonquin and Groco are my 2 manufacturers of choice for raw water fittings.

Ted

I haven’t used one but Groco makes something called an engine flush kit. 2” NPT on one end, hose barb on the other and a port in the middle accept a 3/4” hose. Designed for that purpose and fewer parts to source.

While this solution is valid for most of the boats it won't work for me as pipes attached to the strainer are making 45 and 90 degree turns. The drawback of graco solution is that they have a straight pipe connector without the ability to add elbows.

Also I would prefer to have a ball valve with a quick connect vs some contraption I constantly need to attach/detach

I think going the custom route is the way to go.

Peruse both the Groco and Buck Algonquin sites. You may have to go back and forth between both sites to see and get what you want.
Don;t ignore SPartan although they are more limited in selection.

There are other mfgrs of good quality of seagojng bronze fittings. It just takes time to find and figure out what alloy they offer.

Back
Top Bottom