Chinese diesel heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Installed the happybuy 8kw heater in the Willard took me about 8 hrs to get the exhaust and controls and everything else hooked up safely,mounted the unit in engine compartment on forward bulkhead then ran the 3 inch feed under the steps into v berth and after insulating the crap outta v berth turned heater on high for 15 min and temp was 80 in vberth and is a good sized v berth,extremely happy with install and product was easy to mount and install and runs mint,thinking of getting another unit the 5kw just for engine compartment for the cold new England winters

Attachments

• 20201120_025349.jpg
    20201120_025349.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20201119_153809.jpg
    20201119_153809.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 105
I put one of those on the sailboat a couple years ago. Very happy with it, other than the backlight in the control panel failed. It still works, I just can't see the display in daylight. I turn it on and off with the key fob remote and leave the temp set at 20C which is 68F. New display is $12 on eBay, I'll get one over the winter. Would be nice if it had a farenheit display, but I can work with celsius.

Last edited:
what is the rated BTU output (please)?

boatpoker,
That’s like asking how loud is a dog barking?

Heard one run in a marina neighbour`s small RV he had parked at the marina. Some annoying clicking but not really noisy, quieter after it got to temp.
I couldn`t work out how to safely conduct the exhaust outside. How did the OP do it?

One came with my boat, really nice to take the chill off. Inside the sound is just the sound of the air blowing, and a subtle clicking of the pump. Not bad at all. Outside, it's a lot louder than I thought it would be, always surprises me. Could be the particulars of this installation, which I didn't do.

boatpoker,

I bought one just recently to replace an Espar that I was having problems with. It is no more noisy then the Espar. Mine is installed in the engine room with vents in the salon and the forward and aft staterooms. You can't hear the pump ticking and inside the air vents are not noticeable unless you listen carefully. Outside is a different story. You can hear the exhaust from 5 slips away. Again no worse then the Espar was. If you want to hear what the exhaust sound like click on Lepke's link. There is even some videos in which sound levels are taken.

Overall for $100 I can't really fault them.

boatpoker,

Overall for $100 I can't really fault them.
that is 10% of the original Planar brand. When I bought the Planar 44D, 4KW-13,600 BTU these were selling at around 40%.

I am sure these work, buyer beware, I do think they are overstated at 8KW, they look a lot like the entry level Planar 2D which is 0.8KW or 2729 BTU
I knew going in I was paying more for the original and chose to do so. In Canada these knock offs are about $225

As for sound when the variable speed fan goes full speed it sounds like a bilge blower, otherwise I can hear the ticking of the pump over regular operation.

My is mounted in engine compartment which is totally soundproofed I cant hear the ticking from the pump just the sound of the 3 inch in feed I took the original adjustable plastic one the rotates out and replaced it with a 3 inch piece of 22 0z copper sheetmetal I rolled about 6 inches long so it just shoots the air out straight into vberth as it being cut threw under the steps into vberth

You can mount the pump on a rubber or neoprene membrane to isolate it from the hull or cabinets, it makes the clicking sound of the metering pump very much reduced. My Webasto is mounted that way, neoprene stretched between two mounting points on the side of the cabinet with the pump mounted to the neoprene.

The usual hassle with cheap Chinese items is eventually parts.

If you purchase anything and install it , and it works for you , simply purchase a second unit right away , and store it.

The real problem is the technology was stolen from a company who invested in developing a product, someone else stole that R&D and threw out a discount product with no investment in development.

The original developer provided good jobs for its personnel, both in R&D and production, the knock off company "not so much". It makes it pretty hard for the original developer to support their product when their market share declines due to the discounted knock off, and their ability to spread their R&D investment out over a longer period of time with product sales is damaged.

We as buyers of theses pirated technologies are a part of the problem.

Just sayin...

I really wouldn't take the risk with a diesel heater that wasn't UL, ULc, or CSA certified.

Nor would many insurers.

FF has a good point on spares. Buy two.

A lot of Chinese heater parts are on ebay. Glow plug, ignition screen, pump, intake & exhaust hoses, thru hull, etc. It may take creative search subjects to get the result you want.

Chinese heaters.

These heaters are certainly good value and the spares are cheap too. With the cost of spares on the Webasto/Eberspacher heaters, you can afford to get a new one every 2 years. Servicing the German heaters can be as much as £300.
I must add that for a unit not fitted by a professional, make sure that the exhaust is sealed and that you have a CO alarm fitted. The silencers on many of these heaters have spot riveted flanges which are not gas-tight. Either get a proper one from a car or a Webasto/Eberspacher heater, or get a garage to weld the one that you have to make it gas-tight.

The real problem is the technology was stolen from a company who invested in developing a product, someone else stole that R&D and threw out a discount product with no investment in development.

The original developer provided good jobs for its personnel, both in R&D and production, the knock off company "not so much". It makes it pretty hard for the original developer to support their product when their market share declines due to the discounted knock off, and their ability to spread their R&D investment out over a longer period of time with product sales is damaged.

We as buyers of theses pirated technologies are a part of the problem.

Just sayin...

I think this is part of the normal course of business with any product. As soon as it's released, all is present for anyone to look at and learn from. That's why there are various forms of intellectual property protection, and how to utilized that for any product is an important element in any business strategy.

The hazard with any product offering is that you can never protect or hide all of the secret sauce that makes it an attractive product. The more you can protect the better, but sooner or later others will come along and compete with you. As consumers we generally celebrate that competition.

So I don't feel too badly for Webasto or Espar or whoever offers similar products. You need to keep up or someone will always eat your lunch. Why is this any different? If the Chinese product is violating any patents or such, Webasto and Espar should be seeking injunctions baring those products from sale in countries supporting suck laws. Is there any indication that such violations have occurred, or is the tech self evident enough that anyone else could build a similar product? Oil burners are not rocket science, so I doubt there is much patent protection at play.

The other side of this is a great illustration of the economics at play. The Chinese product shows that the manufactured cost for such a product is less than $100. If there are two products available, one for $100 and one fro $1000, guess which will sell? Despite all the talk about US built products, people still buy 90% based on price. So one of a few things happens:

1) Webasto sells product for $1000, because their manufacturing cost demands they sell for that price. This causes them to go out of business because people will buy the $100 product.

2) Webasto reduces their manufacturing cost and makes more margin selling for $1000 for as long as they can, but over time drops price to maintain market share. They make higher profits short term, and get rewarded by the stock market and management makes a lot of $$.

It's pretty clear which path any company will follow. And the result is that companies are forced to seek lowest manufactured cost (or close to it), or they will go out of business. The only way to survive higher cost of goods is if you have a superior offering in some other way that will command a higher price. But maintaining that differentiation is difficult because others will do it too over time.

So I think the only thing Webasto and Espar are victims of is basic economics and product dynamics.

And this is why there has been an exodus of manufacturing ability from many countries in the world, making us dependent on the few who manufacture while all other jobs within the no longer manufacturing countries turn into service jobs, with notable exceptions.

If you want your children and fellow countrymen to have the opportunity for good jobs, in the country they are living or are born into, it's up to you the consumer to purchase with an eye to other than "the least expensive product." Many companies have been bankrupted by unethical copyright infringement which is seldom enforced in the world courts, many other forced to move their manufacturing out of the country of origin in order to compete with companies attempting to take over their market share with less expensive products.

When the competition doesn't have to conform to labor laws, hourly wage compulsions, or safety standards, there is no competition...

I see both sides of the argument, fortunately I have income adequate to be able to make my purchases ethically (by my own standards).

Also put one of these in. 5K BTU -- just to take the chill off in the salon.

Full writeup of my install here if interested (link):

https://fc8b4d1f-99be-480d-8c8c-1a29f6c8114f.filesusr.com/ugd/d19c24_34798a4405cb457ba8b83e5eeaba0416.pdf

An excellent, well written and photographed article. Great job. My only area of concern is the potential for chafe on the diesel exhaust when it passes through the lightening hole in the SS bracket. Might want to consider a chafe guard of some sort Adel clamp with an offset. Thanks for sharing

An excellent, well written and photographed article. Great job. My only area of concern is the potential for chafe on the diesel exhaust when it passes through the lightening hole in the SS bracket. Might want to consider a chafe guard of some sort Adel clamp with an offset. Thanks for sharing

Thank you for your very kind words!

I have/had the same concern. There is pretty good clearance all the way around to start (it was moved to center from the photo) - for now, I plan to keep an eagle eye on it over time. Eight months and 400nm underway so far with no movement.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom