I bought a boat in Fiji sight unseen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snapdragon III

Vessel Name
Snapdragon
Vessel Make
Custom 56' Skookum trawler
A few weeks ago now I closed on a new, used boat in Fiji. She is a 52' trawler, built in 1992 in Washington State. I am super excited, but it was a super stressful process. Fiji is completely shut down due to covid, and there was no way to go see it in person. I am crossing my fingers that pictures and Zoom tours gave me a good sense of the boat. The broker helped me hire an American delivery Capitan and Engineer for the delivery to Hawaii, then on to LA. They had to be American, because only Americans can get into Hawaii. I will bring the boat up the coast to Anacortes WA next spring, but LA seems like a safer trip in November. Getting insurance for the delivery was a huge challenge too, but I was able to get it in the end. To add to the stress, Cyclone season in Fiji was officially starting 2 weeks after my closing, adding to the pressure to get it the hell out of there.
The passage from Fiji to Hawaii is not an easy one. It is about 2850 miles, and mildly upwind, and current for almost the entire way. The boat is now about 200 miles from Hawaii, after 18 days. If it wasn't for Covid they definitely would have stopped in American Samoa for fuel, food, and a rest, but since it is closed for covid we just had to go for it all the way. I am flying out to Hawaii on Wednesday to check out the boat, help with some needed repairs and maintenance, and if the weather cooperates and gives us a window soon enough, will join them for the trip from Hawaii to LA. I am super excited.

As far as I can figure out the boat was built as a custom one off in 1992. I think they used the mold from the old Skookum motor sailors built in the 70's. It was built as a trawler with paravane stabilizers. The second owner put hydraulic stabilizers on it, turned the Paravanes into flopper stoppers for use while at anchor, and poles for sheeting out the headsail for downwind tradewind runs. He also added a sailing rig. It only really sails on a broad reach or farther off the wind. No beating to weather, so they have not been of much use on the way to Hawaii. The family I bought it from was from Vancouver Canada, and were in the middle of their second South Pacific cruise in her when Covid messed up their plans, and they decided to fly home and put the boat on the market. The previous owners did some really nice upgrades on the boat over the last 5 years which is cool. They put in stabilizers, hydraulic stern thruster, rebuilt engines, new generator/watermaker, steelhead crane, 13' bullfrog dingy, 1000W solar, Lithium batteries, new plotter, radar, AIS, sailing rig, second 10' inflatable tender, Built in gas station for filling tenders with Gasoline, new canvas, high output alternator driven off hydraulic system, 2x 12V air conditioners that can run off lithium batteries, etc.

The old Snapdragon can be found on Yacht World if you are looking for a sweet 41' aluminum trawler at a reasonable price.

Attachments

• E5058AAB-448B-4770-AA3C-20EECD18112E.jpg
    E5058AAB-448B-4770-AA3C-20EECD18112E.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 3D24367C-06CB-4EB4-9A6C-8C1DFE607192.JPG
    3D24367C-06CB-4EB4-9A6C-8C1DFE607192.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 06232E1F-C72F-4924-BC49-2CD361D36B9A.jpg
    06232E1F-C72F-4924-BC49-2CD361D36B9A.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 928DCB71-FF90-44B0-8E63-046A425D236F.jpg
    928DCB71-FF90-44B0-8E63-046A425D236F.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Hmmm

On the plus side the boat made it to Fiji from somewhere :)

So it must be seaworthy

Snapdragon
Your confidence and knowledge in pulling together the purchase, getting the boat sea ready, hiring a crew and other necessary steps is most impressive.

Congratulations

This is fascinating - CONGRATULATIONS!

Please, tell us more about the insurance and delivery piece.

Thanks!

Man, congratulations! Nice when a dream is realized. Best of luck

I tried about half a dozen different insurance brokers. I finally ended up getting it through Velos in the UK. It cost about $4K for 3 months of insurance, and will terminate as soon as we get to LA, as the underwriter in not set up to insure boats in the United States. The stop in Hawaii is ok.

The delivery was finding a Capitan, talking to him on the phone and crossing my fingers. The Capitan has a ton of experience delivering high performance sail boats, but almost none on a trawler. It has been a learning curve for him, but nothing crazy. He lives in Fiji and had started a Tourism related business, which is suffering tremendously from Covid, but for this project it worked out well for both of us. He had the time to do the delivery since his business is on hold, and the income is very welcome. I am paying $400/day for the Capitan, and $200/day for the engineer, plus expenses. I have to pay for the Capitan to fly home, and pay for a hotel in Fiji for 2 weeks to Quarantine at the end of the trip, but will not have to pay him a daily rate for the time in quarantine. When it is all said and done I think the delivery will cost me $35-45K to get it to LA, that is labor and fuel/oil changes. This hurts as I am generally a DIY cheapskate type, but I think I am feeling a little more "You only live once," since the Covid nightmare.

Last edited:
Congrats! Glad you found coverage for your trip!

Thanks very much for the data. All the best wishes for a safe trip!

Now there's a headline you don't see every day, even on this forum! Sounds like you're having fun!

Congrats.

Some of us noticed that vessel a few weeks ago and discussed her here. I sure liked her (the vessel I mean :) )

Congratulations.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/interesting-boats-10046-465.html#post927565

I saw that at the time, and wanted to comment, but I was in the middle of a negotiation for the boat and was afraid to talk it up and attract more interested parties. I was one of 42 people who was interested in the boat and circling around, including a few very serious ones. It was very stressful.

Last edited:
Here is a Video tour of the boat from the broker if you are interested.

Welcome to the funny farm.
Looks like a fantastic boat.
Too bad you could not make the trip with them.
I would have bought the boat but, she was not part of the purchase price. LOL

Last edited:
Congrats on your new boat. Hope the trip home goes great!

Congratulations.
I saw the boat on the hard at Vuda Pt marina exactly a year ago today.
It was dug in for the cyclone season as they do there.
It was certainly the most interesting trawler at the marina.
Good luck and enjoy.

Snapdragon, not asking you to share what you actually paid, but couldn't find the asking price anywhere? Care to share? Looks like a nice boat!

How deep is your credit card...lol? The boat should provide lots of wonderful memories.

A bit of info on the boat via one of the other interested parties (not me!).

I had to delete p29 & 30 (photos only) of the brochure to reduce file size below TF limit

Attachments

• Shoreleave 50 ft Yacht Survey.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 319
  • SHORLEAVE BROCHURE cropped.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Hi Loren! I can’t wait to see the new Snap Dragon!! I didn’t realize that a PO had added the sail rig; do you plan to keep it or have it removed?

I told Grandson Jacob that his friend was getting a new boat, he was happy for her��

I made it out to Hawaii last night and got to see the boat for the first time. Kind of mixed emotions. Overall it is going to be great. Super solid boat, and we are going to have a ton of fun with it. The downside is the exterior is in a little rougher shape than I though it would be. Nothing that will stop us using and enjoying it, but I will be a busy beaver with projects for a long time to come. The interior and mechanical stuff is about what I expected so far, although I am just getting into it, and haven't gotten to spend much time yet. I really like the interior layout, and the covered steering station out in the Portuguese bridge.

Overall they did the 20 day 2800 mile trip from Fiji to Hawaii with very few problems. The worst problems of the delivery was a couple of leaky hatches that leaked water on the v berth cushions, and all over the port engine, not having good information on the fuel tank capacity and or the fuel meter was malfunctioning leading to considerable worry, the stove not having any rails to hold pots in place making it very hard to cook, and the electric roller furler not working properly. I am hoping we can sort out a lot of these issues at least temporarily over the next week before the next leg of the trip from Hawaii to LA.

Congratulations on a successful (big) first leg! I can't imagine the feeling of approaching a boat I've already purchased for the first time ... butterflies to say the least.

Sounds like those issues should be mostly straightforward to address. Best of luck!
BD

What a wonderful adventure! I admire the spirit that it takes to make such a leap. I am sure that you will enjoy getting to know your new vessel.

Now SabreWife and I are absolutely drooling over Snapdragon....

Glad you got to see it and are mostly happy! The layout aspect is a big one, as it is a bit unusual. For my friend one of his concerns was headroom since he is 6'4", and it seemed that some areas would be tight for him.

The boat did appear to be 'ready to go' like adverts often claim (but are usually very wrong!), but in this case it had been doing it for some time. It is a great long range, off the beaten path cruising vessel. Sure, there are a list of projects, there always is with a boat. But I think in general the PO was likely on top of maintenance for all the big stuff. May she serve you well!

Congrats on getting the boat mostly as you wanted it. It would be very scary to buy it unseen so I am happy for you.

The trip did 'prove' the boat in many ways.

Great information, thanks.

How did the fuel situation go - it's a loooong way for a vessel with unknown consumption and possibly even unconfirmed tankage!

I've purchased two boats sight unseen, new, directly from the builder. Turned out OK, but would never do it for a used boat.

Woohoo! Will you be headed out soon for LA or get some work done first?
It sure looks pretty!

I can sympathize. I bought my current boat sight unseen. Despite thorough surveys and pouring over dozens of pictures, you never know what you've got until you're actually there. But if you want to grab a great deal, sometimes you have to be willing to take a chance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom