Fender Marks on Hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
On my fenders I have covers to keep them clean. Problem is they make dark marks on the of the hull. They take to wax/polish off too.

Take the covers off? How do I solve this most important problem?

What say you TF?:socool::angel:

Attachments

• IMG_8712.jpg
    IMG_8712.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8714.jpg
    IMG_8714.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8715.jpg
    IMG_8715.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8716.jpg
    IMG_8716.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8718.jpg
    IMG_8718.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 35
You can wash the covers, and that might help a little.

I've found bare fenders can also mark the hull (unless they're brand new) and they'll take wax off, too.

-Chris

We had fender covers but with frequent use they don’t last too long. So switched to using Cheapo white cotton t shirts on the round ones and and cheapo cotton anything for the tubular ones. Think the problem is primarily any dirt, salt or anything that gets impregnated into the fabric acts as a abrasive. It’s not so much the fabric but rather the contamination that causes the problem. Find washing them gets 99% out but never all of it so you still get marks. If you have shore water think it helps to spray the fenders and covers periodically. With cheapo cotton (White works best) you’re not reluctant to take them off, wash them then cut them up for rags.
Even good fenders like Taylor made get gunky. Once that happens nothing helps. The fender washing stuff is worthless. Ajax and a scotch brite helps some. Think it’s important to keep both the fender and the cover Bristol if you don’t want marks on the hull. If we’re going to be stuck for awhile especially when using fender boards find hanging clean rug or an old towel off the toe rail on the hull before the fender helps.

I tie off just far enough off the dock to where the boat will not touch but just enough slack so that she can move a little. But close enough where I can step and reach the boat. If I need her close for a few hours then I bring her up on a covered fender no problems. She never rides the fender against the dock if it is not necessary.

I don’t use covers but do try to keep the fenders clean. At our home dock we have mooring whips to keep the boat off the fenders unless the wind is blowing the wrong way. Is your boat gel coat or paint?

We have fenders tied to our dock (others on the boat for trips away). Hockey socks work well for the dock ones and relatively inexpensive to change when they become too dirty. No modifications needed just slide them on.

My beam-side fenders are the same color as the dark hull. That minimizes that problem. Most all marks on my hull come from the white rubber strips along the docks.

I wonder if it might have something to do with the material/dye?

I've used fender covers from this company for years and have been very happy with them:
Procover Boat Fender Covers

I use the dark green and the color has NEVER rubbed off on my hull. Nor, have I observed them causing any wear on the hull. In fact, the main reason I started using them years ago was to reduce tiny scratches "clouding" the hull at each location where the vinyl fender was continually coming in contact with the hull.

I wash the fender covers once or twice a season in a washing machine. When doing canal/lock work, I rinse them off rather frequently - most often by simply dragging them in the water a bit while under way.

I replace the covers every 2-3 years because they do tend to fade a bit and get somewhat loose. They're inexpensive enough, so I don't view this as a problem.

Blows my mind.

How hard is it to figure out whether covers or bare fenders may or may not mark?

A cover of color different than the hull may mark....how many things in life have you seen or used that when rubbed leave a mark?

The next issue is...no matter what you rub together if it is colorfast and clean...generally no mark. So if you rather keep covers clean or fenders clean...your choice. Let either get dirty...and your hull just might too.

This is a great example of thinking through a problem. People that just say one or the other is better may work for them...but is weak advice.

Covers or not...if your fenders roll against a surface that is dirty or gritty...you may mark your hull...printing press concept.

Last edited:
Blows my mind.

How hard is it to figure out whether covers or bare fenders may or may not mark?

A cover of color different than the hull may mark....how many things in life have you seen or used that when rubbed leave a mark?

The next issue is...no matter what you rub together if it is colorfast and clean...generally no mark. So if you rather keep covers clean or fenders clean...your choice. Let either get dirty...and your hull just might too.

This is a great example of thinking through a problem. People that just say one or the other is better may work for them...but is weak advice.

Indeed. If I tie up to a pier freshly coated in pitch, then the black will roll onto the fender cover and right onto the hull...just like a paint roller. So it's key to avoid such tie-ups when at all possible...

I can generate a dull spot on my red awlcraft hull paint by rubbing my finger on it. Any fender, bare or otherwise covered rubbing hard on my hull is going to be a problem.

My wife makes us fender covers out of polar fleece. They are very kind to the boat with the added advantage of camouflaging stains on otherwise serviceable fenders. As they fade or wear she makes another set. We select fun patterns as the mood strikes. She has received many positive comments over the years. It's fun to have young children go by the boat and do double takes at the Minions keeping the fenders warm.

Soft covers I have seen retain the most abrasive debris and do the most damage to hulls....

Be careful if selecting soft covers.

The Wizard of Bristol (Herreshoff) said “there are two colors for a boat. White and the wrong color “. Unfortunately he was right. Personally think colored hulls are beautiful. Also think unlike white any minor imperfections show up more. Think that’s more true on paint than gel coat.

Back
Top Bottom