MTU Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Other than learning that MTU is owned by Rolls Royce I know nothing about these engines. What experience/knowledge to you folks have about reliability, parts availability etc.?

They are supposed be great engines but from what I have heard they are a bit pricey to maintain. I think they are more prevalent in Europe than here but I am not sure.

Other than learning that MTU is owned by Rolls Royce I know nothing about these engines. What experience/knowledge to you folks have about reliability, parts availability etc.?

MTU dominates the large engine market, especially over 2000 hp, but they've always gotten the business CAT and MAN didn't go large enough for. Now CAT and MAN do have larger engines than they once did. Their smaller engines actually are predecessors to Detroit Diesels. We've owned 1500 and 2895 hp but also run 825 and 2600 hp. We've had excellent performance but ours are well maintained. I've known others to have some major trouble fairly early in their lives but see MTU provide great warranty service in those cases. I know someone who lost a 3650 hp in Fiji and MTU flew a replacement and manpower in to replace it there.

MTU does have the majority of the market in larger boats.

MTUs are reliable and the parts prices not much different than Cat. MTU owns Detroit Diesel.

That's a MAN engine, not a MTU.

I had twice 3500 hp MTU with Kamewa jets on my previous yacht, maintenance is very pricey and they have a tendancy to be smoky, noticed the smoky issue not only on my boat but on many other superyachts/megayachts equipped with MTU but overall they are great engines.

Back
Top Bottom