New Trawler - new Member!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monty

Vessel Name
Monty
Vessel Make
CHB Trawler 42
Hello,
I just purchased a 1980 CHB Trawler this year, a 42 footer which, if you believe the original documentation, shares the hull with the grand banks 42 back in those days. The boat is in very good condition, but of course there is still very much to do and to find out about this type of boat...the reason why I joined this forum.
The trawler served the area of the baltic sea and northsea for all of her life and now awaits the winter season in Rostock, Germany. ( IF I can get that 90 ton mobile crane to lift that thing out of the water...)

Thank you all for providing so much great information here in this forum,
hope I can contribute a little...

greetings from north germany!

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your new purchase!

Monty,

Welcome aboard the forum and congrats on your new boat. It wasn't that long ago that I faced the steep learning curve involving owning a trawler.
Greetings from Canada

Hello,
I just purchased a 1980 CHB Trawler this year, a 42 footer which, if you believe the original documentation, shares the hull with the grand banks 42 back in those days. The boat is in very good condition, but of course there is still very much to do and to find out about this type of boat...the reason why I joined this forum.
The trawler served the area of the baltic sea and northsea for all of her life and now awaits the winter season in Rostock, Germany. ( IF I can get that 90 ton mobile crane to lift that thing out of the water...)

Thank you all for providing so much great information here in this forum,
hope I can contribute a little...

greetings from north germany!

The best history I have seen for Taiwan Trawlers appeared in Passagemaker Mag in 1998. IIRC, Bob Lane was the author. CHB was one of many builders, molds were shared around with several builders, keeping costs down.
GB were not built in Taiwan.
Next time you have the opportunity to look at a GB 42, you will see it has a plumb bow and is, in 1980, quite a bit narrower than yours.

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll love that old CHB. Heavy, slow, comfortable...just what a cruising trawler is all about!

Just to note, there is no possible way that hull is same as a GB42; Grand Banks never shared molds. If you were to look at a profile of the GB hull you'd see that the stem is much more plumb and there is very little flare to the bow unlike the CHB. The underbody is similar though - v shape flattening out astern with hard chines and reasonably deep keel.

Enjoy!

Congratulations and welcome. Post pics of your new baby!

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll love that old CHB. Heavy, slow, comfortable...just what a cruising trawler is all about!

Just to note, there is no possible way that hull is same as a GB42; Grand Banks never shared molds. If you were to look at a profile of the GB hull you'd see that the stem is much more plumb and there is very little flare to the bow unlike the CHB. The underbody is similar though - v shape flattening out astern with hard chines and reasonably deep keel.

Enjoy!
:iagree:

Attachments

• 6915462_20200221060750116_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6915462_20200221060750116_1_XLARGE.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 20
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 17
Yes, they are both nice boats, the GB probably better in fit and finish, but those CHB hulls were a lovely shape, and much drier in the nasty stuff. A friend of mine with a GB 42 classic says he likes my old Clipper (CHB) 34 hull better than his boat's.

Attachments

• 5913F056-2844-43F1-A8A6-7C3750E9C6CA.jpg
    5913F056-2844-43F1-A8A6-7C3750E9C6CA.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the Infos, with the documentation of my boat came next to original Engine documentation, building plans and maintenance records (from 1980!) a fewtypewriter copies of stuff the first German owner collected about his boat - inshort - apparently CHB did not take the Copyrights very seriously back inthe 70' and 80' and "interpreted" the GB design in this Trawler model. This making the CHB Trawler in Europe a great alternative to the original expensive GB or the even more expensive German AMS-Trawler. But of Course - that stuff in the documentation is not confirmed :confused:, but nevertheless very interesting.

20200623_152646~2.jpg

437052-975371ffa6c6afa5cbce9801cea7b7b2-com.jpg

437052-37a00c0c3d48957e70c08579f7dfcc75-com.jpg

Good pics. Interesting that there are strakes on the underbody. I've never seen that on a semi-displacement hull.

Back
Top Bottom