Kaput Borg Warner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swa

Hey there
I recently lost my Borg Warner Transmission on my 80 Mainship 2. (Gulp) Does anyone have one on hand for sale? It’s a 72C with 1.91 to 1 gearing. I talked to TAD and can get a rebuild at a decent price and I’m leaning that way unless I can come up with an alternative. Another concern is the integrity of the salon deck as I’m in the process of planning out a way to build a brace to hoist up the rear of the engine to get the wasted transmission out. Engine is a Range 4 series 200hp I figure 1000-1200 lbs the rear mounts are attached to the transmission. I’m thinking some big 4X4s and a chain hoist from harbor freight.
Although floor appears solid and It will be holding up only the rear of the engine I’m a little nervous about it hanging there for a couple weeks waiting for the rebuild/exchange etc Any input would be greatly appreciated

What went wrong with the gear? Fluid level ok? Torsional damper failed? Shift lever moving ok? Reduction gear failed? Lots of things can mean no-go without whole gear being trashed.

With engine running look in oil fill hole, if oil is not splashing around it could be the torsional damper, easy fix.

If it is just slipping or not producing any power then it just needs a quick rebuild with cleaning, new clutch disks, seals, gaskets, maybe an oil pump. Figure about $750.
If transmission won't turn at all then a complete rebuild would be in order, maybe a new bearing or 2, possibly a gear, Probably north of $1500.
Planetary gears are getting hard to source so that's an unknown.

You can brace the floor to the stringers with some 2x4s then lay your 4x4 across.
Actually a couple of 2x4s screwed together to make a 4x4 should suffice. Or put 3 together to ease your mind.
My offer to help is still good.
Like I said the other day on the phone you should pull it first and inspect it before you write it off.

What went wrong with the gear? Fluid level ok? Torsional damper failed? Shift lever moving ok? Reduction gear failed? Lots of things can mean no-go without whole gear being trashed.

With engine running look in oil fill hole, if oil is not splashing around it could be the torsional damper, easy fix.

I was going to ask these as well. As a note, if it seems to go into gear but only produces a slight twitch at the output, check the reduction gear. I've had stationary plate failures on both of my 72Cs (stripped the stationary plate teeth). Both caused that symptom, but with no noises or other symptoms or issues. And the second one to go didn't even have a hint of collateral damage or wear to any surrounding parts. Both were sudden failures while running as well, just lost drive while running.

If it turns out to be a reduction unit issue, that's easy to get apart. Don't even have to pull the trans. Just slide the shaft back and you can split the reduction unit off the back of the trans case (trans and engine stay mounted as normal).

What I'd do is run a couple braces from the stringers the engine is mounted on up to underneath the deck. Make a small frame over the back of the engine to hoist it from and have a couple sturdy 2 x 4 to place under the engine when you get it up.
Unbolt the tranny, slide it back and lift out. Or use the same frame from the engine to lift it out. Using a frame will definitely make it easier to get back in.
Don't leave the engine hanging off the frame, set it down on whatever works while your waiting.

Old man and the sea

Geez, Here I am a week later and I’ve been stood up by 3 different marine mechanics. Business must be very good for them. I would love to insert their names here but there are names many know. Regardless I have #4 to meet me this week. Keeping my fingers crossed they show Thank you guys for tuning in on my problem and a special thanks to Jay for your offer. What a good man you are. Hopefully I won’t have to take you up on your generosity. I guess I should explain a little more on where I’m at.
We were crossing St. Joseph sound heading south on ICW towards Caladisi Island for a couple nights in some pretty heavy conditions when I lost my drive. First thoughts were I wrapped gear into a crab pot. Not wanting to jump in and risk life with the current and wave action going on. I dropped anchor and pulled access panels to find shaft not moving in forward or reverse when I ran up the RPMs. In neutral the shaft moved fine by hand. Fluid level was well above the high level mark and appeared a little milky. No fluid splashing observed within tranny and no noises coming from anywhere including bell housing- damper plate. Cables and linkage moving fine. Called Boat US and enjoyed for a long tow back to the slip Obviously this is a bit over my head. I know enough about diesels and tranmissions as I know about a womans inter thought process. I just want to get this resolved and get back out. Hopefully things work out this week Otherwise I’ll be wrenching in the pits of hell upside down bent up like a pretzel. I’ll be posting pictures and asking lots of questions as well as seeing a doctor :) Again, Thank you all for your time and input.

creamy colored ATF would indicate water contamination. Typically when transmission oil cooler internal tubes corrode and raw water enters oil system. After replacing oil cooler many have restored operation by replacing fluid several times.

It is difficult to remove all traces of contaminated fluid from reverse pressure plate assy so personally I would pull transmission and clean it. While out I would replace clutch discs, seals, and damper pate. (and replace engine oil cooler at the same time)

Last edited:
Also might want to try your local (not marine) transmission shop. I got a complete rebuild for $700.00 in 2010, Velvet Drive.

Rob

Pulling your tranny really isn't a big job. Even for a first timer. Maybe shore up the floor a bit but don't go crazy because you may end up fighting the shoring when you lift the tranny. The tranny will weigh only a couple to few hundred pounds.

Treat the job with respect but not fear.

pete

A 72C reduction trans is in the 150-160 lb range. Nothing crazy.

if you can remove it yourself, you can have it remanufactured at Transaxle (TA Powertrain) in Raleigh NC. You can contact them at 866-662-4900.

A little follow up for you guys that chimed in. Yesterday with a little help of a good local. I built a frame pulled the cooler, Transmission, starter, bell housing and damper plate. Whew! Not an easy day. This morning I sprung out of bed with a cramp in the back of my leg that felt like gunshot wound. Regardless the damper plate was totally shot spinning free in two parts. Tomorrow we are heading north to see friends, the mountains and to meet my new friend at TAD Yes I’m bringing the trans etc- they are going through it all. What the hell its only 850 miles and I’ll get her to drive most of the way. I haven’t been to Norfolk since my Navy days. Wondering if the old local strip bar is still there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom