Intro - prospective owner, prospective looper.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rallison

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
TBD
Hi folks, I'm Rick. I've been boating since before I was born, though usually summers only on the freshest waters of Georgian Bay. But that experience planted the seed that is beginning to grow; so I'm here to gather (and share) information from the perspective of someone considering looping with and living aboard a moderate-sized motor vessel from retirement until I can't stands it no more. (Sorry; Popeye was perhaps too big of an influence on my Saturday morning boyhood.)

Boating experience until now is limited to small boats--some sail, but mostly outboard and stern drives in the 14-16 ft / 4-5 m range. Have started looking at boats 38-42 ft. capable of being single-handed on most of the loop or brief passages, but with enough space to be comfortable for a couple and bearable for two couples and a kiddie or two for short stretches.

I'm also a fan of low-impact (noise, emissions, etc.) boating, so I'm interested in hybrid and other alternative propulsion systems and related technologies.

I'll strive to ask good questions (AFTER reading first!) and try to limit my answers to useful contributions. But I can't promise to refrain from an occasional wisecrack if I think I can get a clean laugh. That's a contribution, too.

Happy to be here.

Welcome to TF, Rick. Dive in, learn, don't hesitate to question.

Greg.

Welcome. Although you state the elusive perfection of low impact noise and pollution-wise, are you saying that a properly powered diesel powered vessel is acceptable or no?

Thanks, Greg, Rich, and Commodore Dave. Happy to be here.

And to answer Rich's question: For motive power, yes, diesel is acceptable. My primary goal is to be silent at anchor and when mooring. I consider other factors as well--from production methods to recyclability of materials--but quietude at rest is the aim. So I'd like to avoid idling the engines or running a generator under most overnight scenarios even when away from a marina. Make sense?

Until you run into air conditioning weather, and you WILL, the silence-at-anchor goal is mostly achievable. There are lots of threads here on solar/battery/inverter living much of the information borrowed or inspired from living-off-the-grid websites and magazines.

With solar power and Lithium batteries you can hang on the hook easily if you manage the power consumption. We are going to Lithium batteries this winter, UPS is delivering them tomorrow.

That sounds right. I'm not just looking at production hybrid boats; when I look at others, not so equipped I consider how I would modify to add enough generation and storage capacity to provide the same experience, short of silent running. Thanks!

A trawler 32'-34' with fly bridge and aft cabin will likely suit your specs. Aft cabin would also have a forward berth. Look at online boat broker sites. Lot's of battery types to save weight and have ample capacity using an inverter to run 120v items like refrigerator, etc. Propane cooking, hot water tank plumbed to use engine heat. Solar is something you can start small and upgrade if needed. Compost type head won't need a dc motor. Hope this helps.

A trawler 32'-34' with fly bridge and aft cabin will likely suit your specs. Aft cabin would also have a forward berth. Look at online boat broker sites. Lot's of battery types to save weight and have ample capacity using an inverter to run 120v items like refrigerator, etc. Propane cooking, hot water tank plumbed to use engine heat. Solar is something you can start small and upgrade if needed. Compost type head won't need a dc motor. Hope this helps.

Thanks, SWFLA. I'm here to lean. So at this stage, everything helps. And I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom