The House Just Sold! Now I Just Need the Boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Im_Lost

I have been lurking here for almost a year learning about cruising life. I grew up competitively sailing boats under 24 feet and our family had a Pearson 365 on the Chesapeake Bay for about a decade too. I have been into motorcycle touring and RV travel for the past 15 years and have loved traveling across the US those two ways.

But now I have decided to sell my home, take a couple years off, and live full-time in a boat and my RV while traveling the country and seeing sites, friends, and family while working part-time (I do remote IT support). Since I will be solo cruising a little over half the time a boat that is easy to single-hand is a requirement.

The Problem: Depending on which day you ask I am all over the map on what to get. I have looked at a number of boats and I am considering everything from a pocket trawler to a Mainship 350/390. Anyway, all this confusion about what to do has set off alarms in my head so earlier today I reached out to a reputable boat broker to ask for help in identifying which boat to choose based on my budget and needs. I need help and guidance in the entire boat buying process b/c it is so complex so I think having a broker involved with help to sort everything out.

Anyway - this place has been a really helpful resource. It blows me away how much expertise is here and how well run this site is. BTW - my screen name is my tag on my motorcycle. I figured that's be a cool new name for the boat when I find her! :)

Welcome aboard. Look at a lot of boats and you will know when you find it.

As a single handed skipper, a few important features important to look for are:

A cockpit for ease of docking
A helm door ditto
Bow and stern thrusters with a remote to keep the boat at the dock while you secure lines (help is not always available)

I would avoid “sun deck” models because the access is via ladders. Not as easy when docking solo

A good lower helm station (if a fly bridge model) will be helpful when anchoring solo

John
Welcome aboard TF.
You can look at my Bacchus website to get an idea of what our Mai ship looks like. I added a wireless remote for thrusters and it makes this boat a dream to handle even solo.
Only downside is MS didn't make many, although I know there is one currently on the market in SW FL.
Take a look at "Boat Search 101" for some tips on starting the process.

Back
Top Bottom