CHB Clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCParks23

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing our first trawler, a 1980 45 foot Chung Hwa Sedan Trawler. Trying to find out its bridge clearance. I‘ve looked everywhere and its description in the Power Boat guide has N/A listed for clearance, perfect the one piece of info we need.....I’m trying to find a covered berth for her. I can’t get to the boat for a few weeks to measure myself.

Anyone happen to know the clearance for this vessel?

Welcome to TF

I can't help you with a published measurement, so you may need to wait until you get to the boat.

The one thing you need to consider is not the printed clearance, but the "actual" clearance with antennas, Radar, satellite tv antenna etc. Can you lower any antennas?

So you will need to still do an actual measurement.

I have the same boat and am interested in the same question. I have never measured but after taking down the anntenaes my guess would be 18 ft.

Thanks, yeah that’s what I’m guessing. Somewhere between 16-18. We’re doing the sea trial next week. I‘ll have to remember to bring my measuring tape.

That’s a good point. She has a custom radar tower. At the end of the day it’s best to just measure myself.

Clearance and Deadrise?

I have an '83 CHB Europa Trawler, 48'. My clearance is probably 35ft with SB antenna. otherwise, more close to 20'. I have been meaning to get true measurements on this. Anyone know the deadrise on your trawler?

Don't forget water level changes

I have a CHB and there is another one in our covered marina, along with other Trawlers. All of them have their masts down while berthed. I am going to be a bit surprised if anyone makes covered slips tall enough for Trawler masts. Regardless, don't forget that water levels change due to tide, if you are on the ocean, and in our inland lake system (Lake Union and Lake Washington in Seattle), due to operation of the locks to the Sound and who knows what else. The difference over the season is a couple of feet for us.

I would have a plan B for lowering the mast when berthed if I were you. The problem with doing that with the CHB is that it cuts your aft deck in half when you lower it, so you can't party there without doing a limbo dance under the mast (and boom and rigging, if you have that). I rigged a block and tackle to the rafters over my slip so I can raise it part way at about a 60° angle off the mid deck when berthed, but I still have to drop it again before departing, then raise it and attach shrouds after leaving the slip, then the reverse when returning to the berth. It's a PITA.

Another guy in our marina with a GB36 cut his mast off in the middle and had a custom articulating hinge put in to the mast at the cut. He drops the top half of his mast onto a wooden cradle he made with legs that extend to the aft deck. It looks funny, but it solves the problem of having the lowered mast across the middle of the aft deck. Of course, the cradle legs detract from the view a bit, but not like having the mast at waist level.

Last edited:
I have a CHB and there is another one in our covered marina, along with other Trawlers. All of them have their masts down while berthed. I am going to be a bit surprised if anyone makes covered slips tall enough for Trawler masts. Regardless, don't forget that water levels change due to tide, if you are on the ocean, and in our inland lake system (Lake Union and Lake Washington in Seattle), due to operation of the locks to the Sound and who knows what else. The difference over the season is a couple of feet for us.

I would have a plan B for lowering the mast when berthed if I were you. The problem with doing that with the CHB is that it cuts your aft deck in half when you lower it, so you can't party there without doing a limbo dance under the mast (and boom and rigging, if you have that). I rigged a block and tackle to the rafters over my slip so I can raise it part way at about a 60° angle off the mid deck when berthed, but I still have to drop it again before departing, then raise it and attach shrouds after leaving the slip, then the reverse when returning to the berth. It's a PITA.

Another guy in our marina with a GB36 cut his mast off in the middle and had a custom articulating hinge put in to the mast at the cut. He drops the top half of his mast onto a wooden cradle he made with legs that extend to the aft deck. It looks funny, but it solves the problem of having the lowered mast across the middle of the aft deck. Of course, the cradle legs detract from the view a bit, but not like having the mast at waist level.

Wait, you have dancing on your aft deck while in your shelter?

I Owned several Taiwanese trawlers from 34 to 42 the first thing I’ve always done is get rid of the mask I don’t think I’ve used my radar in years I have one on my current boat but I may just take it off I don’t find it very useful anymore with GPS as good as it is now ASI etc. the only thing the radar will be used for is fog and GPS takes care of most of that you don’t need it to follow the shoreline the only thing you need it for is to see other boats so I just never use it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom