Transducer intercompatibility questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabre602

Vessel Name
Kingfisher
Vessel Make
37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Yes, of course I used the search function before asking! :D

I installed a Simrad Cruise 9 to replace an ancient plotter that came with the boat. This is a low-end unit that combines GPS/plotter with depth sounder functions, and is absolutely perfect for my needs as a secondary plotter to my Coastal Explorer. It is ONLY available with a transom-mount transducer, which I don't want. I'm having a devil of a time finding anything out about its compatibility with other transducers. Please note that my hull is cold-molded, so when I talk about "through hull" transducers, I mean the ones with a hole drilled through, not the shoot-through models that the plastic boat guys can enjoy.

It's a CHIRP unit, 83/200 khz with water temp. The other ancient piece of equipment aboard, a little Humminbird finder, has stopped recognizing its transducer, so I really need to sort out how to get the Simrad's depth function up and running.

My plan is to connect the Cruise 9 to a new through-hull transducer that will mount where the old Humminbird transducer now is. I know that most transducers are made by Airmar, that the frequencies must be compatible, and that wiring connections are simply a matter of buying one with the proper termination, buying an adapter, or, worst case, splicing. No problem.

I don't care about CHIRP. Water temp would be nice, but not required.

Since this is an 83/200 khz unit and Simrad/Lowrance/Navico do not offer a through-hull transducer with this frequency specification, I have several questions. First, will the Cruise unit be compatible with another brand 83/200 transducer, such as the Humminbird XTH 9-20? I would, of course, have to create an adapter cable to mate to the Cruise.

Second, Humminbird also make the XPTH 14-20T, an 83/200 khz model with temperature. If the frequency spec is compatible, would the temperature function likely be a compatible standard as well?

Third, if unable to use either of the above, is it possible to use a 50/200 khz transducer, such as the Lowrance B117 or xSonic Airmar P319 (with temp) and use only the 200 khz setting?

Finally, would a CHIRP capable transducer be compatible if it were a "high CHIRP" model with frequency range that includes the Cruise's 200 khz high frequency, such as a 150-210 khz model?

I've tried asking tech support at Simrad (Navico), but the response is that, due to Covid, they're backed up for weeks or months. Wondering if any of you have any direct experience with intercompatibility of these things.

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

I can’t answer your specific question. I have routinely cut off Furuno, Raymarine and Garmin plugs off Airmar transducers and spliced other plugs on when some one changed their electronics. Depth was never a problem, temperature and speed are often not compatible. Sine you already have the transducer in place and there is no futur plan for it, why not splice a Simrad plug on it and try it.

Maybe contact Airmar. They make quite a few transducers for lots of different manufacturers. They may have made the one you have and know of a replacement.

How about trying the simrad transducer in a ziplock full of water set on the hull inside where it’s solid glass. No speed or temperature but you should read bottom less than 60 feet. Worth a shot.

How about trying the simrad transducer in a ziplock full of water set on the hull inside where it’s solid glass. No speed or temperature but you should read bottom less than 60 feet. Worth a shot.

He said the hull is cold molded.

Interested in this. I have a functioning Lowrance HDS with Transducer, and would like to replace a FB non functioning Siewa unit with a Lowrance Elite 2, which comes with or without a similar transducer. Lowrance also make an "in hull" transducer which gives depth only. Some reading I did a while back suggested an Ethernet connection between the 2 units might allow them to function on one multi function transducer. Watching.

Back
Top Bottom