opinions on Volvo TAMD41 P-A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Looking for an honest opinion of owners on the Volvo TAMD41 P-A.
boat I've put a deposit on has twins.
Mechanical survey result was excellent condition. Has 800 hours both.

I have not owned those particular Volvos, but have owned Volvos in the past. The parts are sometimes difficult to get and sometimes takes forever to get. Volvo doesn’t support the legacy engines very well, if at all. Search for Volvo threads here. Make sure parts are still available and at what costs as Volvo parts are usually very dear. Sorry to be Debbie Downer but that is my experience.

I don't even know enough about them to be dangerous, but you would probably like a variety of inputs. I started boat shopping (YW shopping only as of yet) with a chip on my shoulder about Volvo Penta (so that's my bias going in), but naturally one of the boat models I'm interested in often has the TAMD41P-A.

From the reading I have done, this does sound like a really good one though. You know, every brand has some engines that are more rock solid than others, and the TAMD41-P has so far (reading only) sounded like one of those.

I also found there were some options for a few of the more expensive parts (coolers, etc.)

Any comments about whether or not this is all misguided? I'm interested too, so OP, glad you started this thread.

Those engines are barely broken in, very low hours. I would not be afraid of them.

pete

Our Camano Troll had a TAMD41. They were the standard for Camano for many years and were installed in about 200 boats up until 2005. We put 2000 hours on ours without any problems, other than a water pump.

Our previous boat had one, not very well taken care of by the owner before us. Still had very few issues, parts were not overly hard to source but were expensive. The only thing I remember not liking was ours had the crankcase breather venting back into the air cleaner housing, and it went through air filters pretty quickly.

I have 2 of those. Both were originally installed in a Commander 30 and removed to allow that boater to go much faster with bigger Volvos. I got them at 1500 hrs, redid the injectors before installation. No unusual expense then, nor since. That was in 2000, so I now have 20 more years and ~2000 more hours. I have had no issues whatsoever with one engine, but the other had a failure of its raw water pump and developed a hole in its oil cooler. No silly expenses for either, No difficulty getting parts when I needed them. The water pump was an in-stock item at my local VP dealer, the oil cooler was repaired and has another 10 yrs on it without issue. Great engines, start instantly, even in the winter. They smoke slightly on startup, but it clears on warming up.

If you read the posts on Volvo threads here, you will see strident anti-Volvo rants by a very small but vocal group. Claims that parts are silly expensive seem to be an East Coast thing, claims that Volvo doesn't support "legacy" engines shouldn't now apply to these, but if you plan to keep your boat until its engines are 50+ yrs old these may then be called "legacy" and you will get to evaluate Volvo support at that time yourself.

I also have a Cummins ISL 400hp, and when I recently (June 2020) shopped for oil filters for both my Volvos and my Cummins, I got 2 for the Volvos for the price of 1 for the Cummins. In the same store, same price per hp. I have found other comparatives that measure up the same way, so won't credit reports by posters who don't supply real evidence.

Last edited:
It should be easy enough to speak with your nearest Volvo marine repair facility. Just introduce yourself as a potential new customer with a few questions.

Were do you want this conversation to go. BMW parts are harder to get and more expensive than Honda parts but I would rather own a BMW.

Cummins pars are easier and cheaper than Volvo parts unless you have a Cummins 555. Then the Cummins parts are more difficult.

I am not anti Volvo. In General Volvo stuff is cooler than everyone else but way more expensive and Volvo is quicker to drop support than others. That’s in general, in specific it can be the complete opposite.

In the PNW I am not afraid of Volvo as we have great Volvo service centers. If there is no Volvo service in your area you should rethink things.

I am not worried about the expense of parts. They are what they are. Are they solid dependable engines are my concerns. I can pay for parts. I can do most work and a friend is a commercial diesel engine mechanic.

TAMD41P-A smoking at start up

Mine did smoke some when starting for a few years. Last year I switched to Full Synthetic 15W40, and as of the last few trips down we don't notice smoke when starting now. We'll see if that changes when cooler fall temperatures come along, but so far, we just haven't noticed smoke - Admiral and I mentioned that in our last conversation about the boat. (2005 Camano, 1700 hours)

What we have noticed is that cruise RPM generates slightly less coolant heat per the gauge, same for 3200 and higher RPM, just slightly less temp than before. The engine runs smoother and quieter, too. Top brand synthetics Rotella and Mobil 1 both claim cleaner engines, more carbon removed, and all sorts of things. Their product sites have ample statistics and truck fleet testimonials. Of course, when I asked Volvo USA, they said to always buy Volvo products, but the truck fleet managers all swear by full synthetics. And, both Rotella (Shell, but you already know that) and Mobil1 (Exxon) are both qualified for a certain Volvo oil certification per the oil containers. A tribology (study of lubrication) association's tests support Synthetics' claims.

I don't want to start WW 3 over oil selection, but one of you mentioned smoking, and using a full synthetic has cured my smoother running, quieter TAMD41P-A of most of the smoking.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this fall's oil change accomplishes in terms of the new oil taking longer to turn fairly black. In a 17 year old Camano mostly run at slower RPM (total gallons on fuel fuel scan meter divided by total hours on engine gauge panel shows about 2 gallons per hour over the boat's life. I did have sludge partially blocking my exhaust in 2018, mechanic dug that out, and I cruise slightly faster most days, run 10 or so minutes over 3200 and maybe 3 minutes at WOT to clean my exhaust system late in the day - probably not long enough and hot enough, but it's a start. Anyway, I am sure I've had plenty of engine sludge, and I wonder if the full synthetic will improve how much of that is picked up and carried away with oil changes. I'm sure it will take years, but I'll be watching the new oil after this fall's oil change. We've had mostly Valv-Tect fuel for the last 3 years, and perhaps that helps, too. I've used Biobor JF "shock level" biocide additives since a nasty 2018 post 2017 purchase 3x fuel polishing. Biobor may have helped keep the fuel tanks cleaner and when I cut open my last primary Racor used filter it looked like new inside afte 80 hours. Anyway, less smoke, engine working well.

Anti-Synthetic engine oil boaters, fire away, make hex marks, tell me how your grandfathers and you use straight 30, take your best shots at my choices! Truthfully, if your choices have produced good results, congratulations! Good results are what we're all after.

The old 40's would smoke out the marina on startup. Damn, the marina's on fire. No, it the Fish Hawk! :D

We've had TMD40s for over twenty one years...good engines, easy to work on, parts are pricey but available with some searching. Just changed the cams in the seawater pumps at 2,057 hours.

Attachments

• Cams.jpg
    Cams.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 29
I have a TAMD41P (A) in my boat and it's 22 years old with about 5500 hours on it, mostly at 2,000 RPM. I have had to replace the oil cooler, a valve in the oil filter block that controls maximum oil pressure and the raw water pump twice.

It's very reliable, starts in an instant and loses no oil.

People on the Internet complain about parts prices and availability, but in my personal experience, I have not found that to be true in most cases. I think if you check marine engine parts prices, they are all going to seem high. I have a Volvo dealer near me, but there is always the Internet and most parts can be found with a web search, often below the Volvo list price. There are third party replacements for many Volvo parts as well.

I would not walk away from a boat with Volvo engines. They were and still are very popular boat engines and have stood the test of time.

i had a good friend that had similar volvo twins in his boat. i used to help him out with some things on that boat and i remember that servicing the port side engine was nearly impossible as the fuel tank was inches away. i read that some owners of that particular vessel wouldn't change the oil filters very often as they were a bear to get to.
a bunch of the water pipes that use those o-ring seals were on that side too. i'd make sure there was access to service them if i was really serious about purchasing.

Agree with what others have said on this topic. Our new to us Uniflite has 40-B's - we just had a major overhaul of the coolers, pumps and assorted hoses, seals, piping, filters, belts etc. Had the turbos checked out, too. Parts availability not really that big of a deal. Not cheap but right on the nose of what the survey estimated, FWIW. 2000 hours on them and they run great! Some smoke when cold but it thins out after warmup. Volvo made some good engines -take care of them and they'll take care of you!

i had a good friend that had similar volvo twins in his boat. i used to help him out with some things on that boat and i remember that servicing the port side engine was nearly impossible as the fuel tank was inches away. i read that some owners of that particular vessel wouldn't change the oil filters very often as they were a bear to get to.
a bunch of the water pipes that use those o-ring seals were on that side too. i'd make sure there was access to service them if i was really serious about purchasing.

I don't think it's fair to criticize the engines for the way a boat builder installed them in a particular boat. Any other brand would have had the same issues.

I don't think it's fair to criticize the engines for the way a boat builder installed them in a particular boat. Any other brand would have had the same issues.

I’m not criticizing the engines, they ran very sweet. Just pointing out there are some critical cooling system parts that can be tough to access if the installation is tight.

I’m not criticizing the engines, they ran very sweet. Just pointing out there are some critical cooling system parts that can be tough to access if the installation is tight.
That can be the case with any engine on any boat. Not sure what that has to do with the efficacy of the engine. If the engine bay is tight for one engine it will be for another in some aspect or another.

OK, so the survey came back good, very good feedback from the forum . . . CLASSEA has twin Volvo 1988 TAMD 41A’s 200 HP, 3000ish hours, straight forward engines, cranks every time, the “smoke” has been covered, they are easy to work on, parts are available, I keep (and would regardless of the make of engine) a starter, alternator, belts, filters, impellers, hoses, as backups or regular maintenance and back ups . . . Change fluids as needed and have a mechanic that love working on an engine that doesn’t have all the electronic components that today’s engines have.

Purchase the boat, enjoy the dependable and you will be a part of this discussion, that always comes up, sharing your experiences with Volvo . . . They continue to excel in engines today.

See you on the water!

Standing by -

It has been a couple of years now. Curious to learn whether you bought the boat and if yes, your experience since then.

Update Volvo 41A

Boat purchased June 2017 in Miami, brought it back to the Pensacola area (650+ miles) and had it pulled out of the water for repairs, updates, modifications . . . Including removal f all teak decks, soft spots repaired, through hulls, strainers replaced, electronics upgrade, etc. . . . Boat placed back in the water in January 2018 . . . Since then we have traveled 5975 NM, 3000 of those since January beginning the Loop, Bahamas for 25 days, today finished the Erie Canal and sit on the South Wall in Tonawanda . . . The engines have had the following items done, . . . Port & Starboard After-coolers rebuilt, heat exchangers cleaned, new starters, replacing originals, injectors cleaned, . . . The starboard engine has recently had the raw water
Pump replaced with New Volvo Raw Water Pump, and the port engine had the transmission rebuilt only to find out that a 12 x 12 tarp had been wrapped around the prop (long story) that prompted to “need” to rebuild . . . Yes they still crank up every time, smoke as described and are doing well . . . I have identified sources for parts and keep spares before I need them and have a good mechanic that understands these simple engines . . . Another 3000 miles ahead of us and ready to roll . . . Changes Oil/filters/impellers 300/400 hours.

Geat update!

Thanks for the update on your boat purchase and your experience with the Volvo TAMD41P-A engines. Documented experience like that is a great addition to any discussion board on TF, regardless of brand, etc. Nicely done.

Update

A year later than my opinion 7/2021 of the TAMD41P-A, here's an update:
Engine is still great. The most appreciated thing is that it always starts in 1 to 2 seconds, in spring, middle of summer, after months of no use, etc. New injectors in 2018 improved performance. Using Valve-Tect fuel helps. Very pleased with the Volvo after 5 years ownership of a 2005 boat/engine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom