Not sure what this is.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pfsayle

Vessel Name
PATRIOT
Vessel Make
Fu Hwa(Marine Trader)
Does anyone recognize this and what it’s purpose is? I change my engine oil religiously, razors and fuel filters. But I’ve been curious as to what this is?

Attachments

• A0669DFA-31D3-446F-B9B4-4EB0FE301F67.jpg
    A0669DFA-31D3-446F-B9B4-4EB0FE301F67.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 53
It looks like an oil breather baffle, hence the oil spec label on it.

I’m guessing that the “ACC” is abv for access? These engines are TAMD41A’s very low hours and well maintained but I just bought the boat late last season and I’m a maintenance freak. Do want to make sure I know what these are. I have a schematic on the motors but don’t see these on there?

Can you send a picture from a bit further back so we can see it in context? I'm thinking it's just a label indicating the oil for the engine, and just happens to be stuck to that part. And I think the "acc" is an abbreviation for "According to API system", which is where the "CD" specification comes from. I think it's just telling you what oil to use in the engine.

As for the part it's stuck to, I'm not sure but a picture showing it on context with the rest of the engine would help.

Absolutely, I'll get a better picture today. I have used Rotella 30 weight diesel oil in the TAMD41A's and treat the fuel. I also use an oil additive that I have used for years called risilone. When I bought the boat last year the engines were quite smoky at start up and for about 5 minutes afterwards. Ive got a lot of that taken care of now and the motors have really come to life. They only have about 2400 hours on each, from what ive read if I continue with the maintenance regime I should get 15 - 20K hours out of them? but I'll definitely get that picture posted today.

Looks like the thermostat housing on the front of a TAMD 41. Just a good flat spot to place a sticker. Refers to crankcase oil used in the sump. When the engine was built, CD oil was the most modern. Since then oils have improved and the API CD classification is obsolete. Any modern diesel engine oil will be fine. SAE 30 or SAE 10w-30 or SAE 15w-40. The latest API rating for diesels is CK (I think), where the second letter is the series. CD was followed by CE, CF, CG, etc, up to whatever it is now. The modern oils are fully compatible with an older engine spec'ing CD. Check the manual to see what viscosity to use. Might spec a SAE 30 or a 40. If it specs a 40, a modern 15w-40 will be fine. Straight SAE 40 is thick as honey when cold, not good.

Back
Top Bottom