Okeechobee Closures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCDC

Vessel Name
Stella
Vessel Make
Seaton 56
Notice to Navigation: 2020-006 Moore Haven Lock Closures for Corrective Maintenance - Moore Haven Lock on the Okeechobee Waterway will be closed intermittently for inspections Aug 8-9, with full closures for corrective maintenance Aug 10-15, 2020

Cabbage closes Moore Haven lock

St Lucie Lockmaster told me the Moore Haven lock is closed due to an infestation of "floating cabbage".

From the Corp of Engineers:
Due to the extensive formation of tussocks (floating islands of vegetation) and high winds, portions of the Okeechobee Waterway have become impassable for marine vessel traffic. The Moore Haven Lock and Dam is currently closed to all vessels.

We are at the St Lucie Lock docks tonight and plan to lock thru tomorrow, eastbound. No issues here. No issues at Moore Haven when we locked through 6 days ago.

Need some giant amphibian rabbits to eat the cabbage.

All I can say is, with the abundance of vegetation being produced in that lake (blue/green algae, red algae, cabbage and what not), they better hope Godzila doesn’t go vegan.

Attachments

• 241F2D02-68BD-4DA2-ACAA-66D6305D43C8.jpg
    241F2D02-68BD-4DA2-ACAA-66D6305D43C8.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 31
"Need some giant amphibian rabbits to eat the cabbage."

Manatees should do fine. Sadly if the water is warm they seldom go upstream that far.

Did they ever fix the Moore Haven broken gate?

Oh no, Lake O locks are closed. Hey, you always wanted to go the Keys.

We just came through there, running east to west, a little over a week ago. There was some floating vegetation on the west side. There was enough that you really didn't have the opportunity to go around it in lot of places, but not enough to be a real concern. It must have gotten a lot worse very quickly to cause the closures. Lucky timing on our part, I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom