two deaths ... improperly wired boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just reading that story. There are 2 marinas on that lake. We used to keep a boat in the other marina. Scorpion Bay Marina isn’t too old and it had excellent management at the time we lived in Arizona. Now they are saying that the owners rewired the boat deliberately, maybe, to get around basic safety features and that the problem was not in the dock. One guy jumped in and disappeared and then his brother jumped in. Then a woman, she survived but the brothers did not. Too bad but it can be very dangerous swimming in a marina although we used to do it all the time.

Some years ago we were at the Harbor Police guest dock in Dana Point Harbor, California. There a was an electrician changing a receptacle in one of the dock boxes. He couldn't understand why the receptacles did not last. I told him to just take a look at how many boats were not using a plug, but just had the wires from their power cords stripped of the insulation and shoved into the receptacles. He was amazed.

Somewhere around 70% of the recommendations in my surveys are electrical.
I'd guess that 2 out of ten boats I survey have neutral ground bonding onboard. This is the major cause of ESD (electrical Shock drowning). I was trained in these matters by Kevin Ritz, the discoverer of ESD when he investigated the death of his own son due to this phenomena. He had to fight the coroner and USCG to prove the primary cause of his son's death was paralysis due to electric shock causing subsequent drowning. Google it, it's a very sad story.

PS. There are no recorded deaths due to this in salt water.

Last edited:
A lot of older boats were wired with AC neutral and DC ground on the same bus bar. A short might follow DC ground to your strut or any bronze through hulls. Modern marina will detect this and trip the breaker when you plug in but most marinas have not rewired to latest specs.

Last edited:
have to wait for the investigation, ABYC standards have a hand full of preventative measures on this subject.

Respectfully
Ed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom